Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 25, 2019, 03:45:01 PM
Brexit: The Uncivil War - 8/10

A political drama that follows the Leave.EU Campaign.

Cumberbatch destroys the EU with Dr Strange powers ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on January 12, 2019, 02:49:37 PM
Yep. Marvel movies, DC movies, zombie movies, Michael Moore's movies...

That looks like Wizards.  I'm impressed...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on March 01, 2019, 01:29:08 PM
"Peace."

I think that is where "They killed Kenny" came from in South Park.

Munch

Watched Ferdinand while I was babysitting my nephews, them wanting to see it.

eh.. honestly, this movie was okay at certain parts, but with some glaring problems. I liked the first sequence, when the character was young, and the harsh reality of his life and what he endured, I felt like if the movie kept that same tone all throughout it could have been way better, kind of like how UP was in the first few minutes of its opening.
But the minute john cena bull came into it my like for the movie bucketed, and it became another bad cgi animal movie like the hundreds of others studios produce these days, janky animation, the kind you see in cheap kids shows, the characters were obnoxious and I had no feel for them or the story. The ending was okay, but didn't make up for the slog having to sit though the rest of the film.

If the movie was like the first 10 minutes all throughout, might have been so much better, but felt like them playing this to being an animated movie starring an WWE star just sucked any quality out of it. And this was a disney movie..

edit: correction, its a Blue Sky Studios production and Fox, but honestly that doesn't make it any better or worse, though the character is owned by disney.

4/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 01, 2019, 03:27:22 PM
Watched Ferdinand while I was babysitting my nephews, them wanting to see it.

eh.. honestly, this movie was okay at certain parts, but with some glaring problems. I liked the first sequence, when the character was young, and the harsh reality of his life and what he endured, I felt like if the movie kept that same tone all throughout it could have been way better, kind of like how UP was in the first few minutes of its opening.
But the minute john cena bull came into it my like for the movie bucketed, and it became another bad cgi animal movie like the hundreds of others studios produce these days, janky animation, the kind you see in cheap kids shows, the characters were obnoxious and I had no feel for them or the story. The ending was okay, but didn't make up for the slog having to sit though the rest of the film.

If the movie was like the first 10 minutes all throughout, might have been so much better, but felt like them playing this to being an animated movie starring an WWE star just sucked any quality out of it. And this was a disney movie..

edit: correction, its a Blue Sky Studios production and Fox, but honestly that doesn't make it any better or worse, though the character is owned by disney.

4/10

Sorry to hear that the movie went off-book so badly.  A frequent problem...  Why do movie types take a success and change it?  How likely is it to get better with changes?

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 06:03:51 PM
Sorry to hear that the movie went off-book so badly.  A frequent problem...  Why do movie types take a success and change it?  How likely is it to get better with changes?

well they didn't really have to much to work with, since the original animated was a short from 1938 and at the time was very much inkeeping with the kind of animation back then, which was impressive at its time, but inline with that kind of era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKQ7_C88c8

I mean this modern remake sits in line with modern day animation tropes, that in order to get attention for the movie, they needed a big star attached to it, and hyped it based on that, not on nice storytelling or quantity animation.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 01, 2019, 06:56:44 PM
well they didn't really have to much to work with, since the original animated was a short from 1938 and at the time was very much inkeeping with the kind of animation back then, which was impressive at its time, but inline with that kind of era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDKQ7_C88c8

I mean this modern remake sits in line with modern day animation tropes, that in order to get attention for the movie, they needed a big star attached to it, and hyped it based on that, not on nice storytelling or quantity animation.

I agree with you about the Big Star for advertising, but I wonder why that is required?  Other than "good voice", I usually can't identify them.  I'm sure there are a lot of "good voices" out there that would do just fine, cheaper...

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on March 04, 2019, 08:38:40 AM
I agree with you about the Big Star for advertising, but I wonder why that is required?  Other than "good voice", I usually can't identify them.  I'm sure there are a lot of "good voices" out there that would do just fine, cheaper...

thats just the times we live in, its used as advertising to draw more people in if they know. In this case, john cena being a famous wrestler would be within the demographic of those their appealing to, kids and people who see wrestling as a form of entertainment.

Munch

I've seen the face my nightmares...

And all I can say is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzmeOo7oJNo

Its needs to stop.. this need for film makers to make live action movies of cartoon characters.. it has to stop.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on March 06, 2019, 09:07:32 AM
I've seen the face my nightmares...

And all I can say is..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzmeOo7oJNo

Its needs to stop.. this need for film makers to make live action movies of cartoon characters.. it has to stop.

It's actually not as bad as I was expecting, but there are still so many things wrong with this. First, they've got Sonic wearing normal human shoes, but his gloves have been replaced with white fur. Why? I don't have a clue. They also replaced his bare skin with peach colored fur because reasons. They separated Sonic's eyes, changed the shape of his arms and legs to fit normal human proportions, and made each quill visible for the sake of realism. But they kept his side mouth that magically changes sides to face the camera. They made Sonic even more top heavy than he was before. I mean, if they went through all this trouble of redesigning Sonic so he wouldn't stand out too much in the real world, they failed. He looks just as cartoony as before. He's a goddamn blue hedgehog for crying out loud. What made them think live action was a good idea?

Every Sonic fan on hearing this was a live action movie:

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 06, 2019, 10:21:19 AM
It's actually not as bad as I was expecting, but there are still so many things wrong with this. First, they've got Sonic wearing normal human shoes, but his gloves have been replaced with white fur. Why? I don't have a clue. They also replaced his bare skin with peach colored fur because reasons. They separated Sonic's eyes, changed the shape of his arms and legs to fit normal human proportions, and made each quill visible for the sake of realism. But they kept his side mouth that magically changes sides to face the camera. They made Sonic even more top heavy than he was before. I mean, if they went through all this trouble of redesigning Sonic so he wouldn't stand out too much in the real world, they failed. He looks just as cartoony as before. He's a goddamn blue hedgehog for crying out loud. What made them think live action was a good idea?

because its the trend these days and since that trend is about what disney more or less got going, everyone wants a piece of that, never stopping to ask if its a smart idea or not.

This to me is what the warcraft movie bombed like it is, because the game it came from has cartoony graphics, but they decided to make it live action instead of a stylized cgi movie throughout, why use live actors for humans but go cgi for the orcs, its a mess.

Someone might argue that this trend of blending in animation with live actions has been around a long time, infact early disney movies did this like mary poppins, song of the south, and later works like who framed roger rabbit, but those movies were made specifically to merge animation and live action for their purpose, who framed roger rabbit specifically to show real humans and cartoon characters together.

This now though, when you take an existing animated movie or game or concept and try and force the cartoon characters into a cgi form to blend in with the live action, it feels like their trying to hard to make it work with live action, and missing the point of what made the original concept good, as in it was animation with an animated setting.

This is why things like the live action beauty and the beast, aladdin and lion king just unsettles me, you can't improve on the classic animated because its timeless, and the only reason their doing it is to pocket off peoples nostalgia with an inferior product. And everyone else is seeing disney do this, and gets the same idea thinking they can make it work too.

Blackleaf

At least Disney live action movies, as bad as they are, have nostalgia going for them. Sonic isn't nostalgic to the general public, but has a bad reputation. A live action movie of a series people expect crap from is destined to bomb hard.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on March 06, 2019, 11:47:47 AM
At least Disney live action movies, as bad as they are, have nostalgia going for them. Sonic isn't nostalgic to the general public, but has a bad reputation. A live action movie of a series people expect crap from is destined to bomb hard.

But Sonic is topical in the US and Europe.  It is pro-environment and anti-industry.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.