Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

I watch Aquaman.

Meh.

Lots of action. Didn't give a shit about most of it. The movie probably had enough story in it for three movies. Thus, since it was so condensed, none of it could breathe. The camera had ADHD. It kept spinning around and made me dizzy, like they were afraid of having a boring second. And a couple times they had some kind of weighty dialog scene where just as or before the final payoff something fucking explodes. I swear, they did that two or three times at least. "Do you know what this means? We finally have what we need to... " BOOM! Fcuking 'splosion.

It's all too bad because it did some things that I actually liked. I like the Black Manta voice. It wasn't exactly like the one from Challenge of the Super Friends, but it was similar. I liked how the eyebrows on the Ocean Master mask moved despite being made of metal. Super heroes need to be expressive in their masks. Hopefully this will continue. There was also a nice bit where Aquaman describes himself as a blunt instrument to illustrate how unsuitable he is for the task at hand. That went nowhere, but it was nice to have something kind of like a character arch in this shit.

But overall, I walked out dissatisfied. Kind of like after The Last Jedi. What I saw was... eh... okay. But I don't want or need to see any more of it. Which is too bad because I enough about the character to have an idea where this may be heading in a sequel, which has a blatant stinger at the end.

Basically, Black Manta is left with a thirst for revenge. In the comic, at one point, Manta captures Aquaman, his sidekick Aqualad and Aquaman's young son. The son is trapped in an air bubble, in the comics Atlantians must breathe water every hour or fucking die, and Manta makes A-man and A-lad fight in a gladiatorial arena to the death to save the boy, who's been in the bubble for nearly an hour. Aquaman actually tries to kill Aqualad to save his son, but they somehow break free, Manta runs off, but they are too late. the boy is dead. Aquaman has his pet octopus take the body back to his wife, who goes insane over the death of her child. Aquaman catches manta and decides to do the "right thing" and put him in jail. So now his son is dead, his wife is crazy, his sidekick's faith in him is shaken. Lots of fucking drama.

Somehow I doubt they'll kill a child in a movie. They should because if Aquaman has any reason why anyone gives a crap about him today, it's this storyline.

But the first movie was overdone and undercooked. Like trying to cook a five course fancy French dinner with a hot plate and a microwave. The components are all there but it's not cooked the right way.

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 24, 2018, 07:08:31 PM
I watch Aquaman.

Meh.
That's too bad, I've been rooting for DC to get their act together, and at least go toe to toe with Marvel one time.  They've got great characters, but the don't seem to get the most out of them.  Actually, I won't pass up a DC movie ever.  If it has a superhero, I'm going to see it.  I loved Wonder Woman up until the end, where it dragged on far too long for an acceptable climax.  I'm all for a good explosion, but if it lasts more then 10 minutes, I get bored.

the_antithesis

I plan to see Shazam when that hits in a couple months because I like the character. If that one is a disappointment, I'll likely come home and watch the Adventures of Captain Marvel serial from 1941 to make myself feel better.

Gawdzilla Sama

People take comic book movies way too seriously.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

aitm

Peppermint.....or was it Cinnamon.....either way when it was over I couldn't remember a thing about it that I found inter....what was I saying?
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on December 25, 2018, 07:09:11 AM
Heretic!
I was the kid who didn't know what the other kids were talking about back 1965. I was reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich while they were reading comics.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Prime has five "Sleepaway Camp" videos right now. Lowly recommended.
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 25, 2018, 09:56:45 AM
I was the kid who didn't know what the other kids were talking about back 1965. I was reading Rise and Fall of the Third Reich while they were reading comics.

Reading to your Nazi dog like Count Dankula? ;-)

I was reading Classics Illustrated comics back then.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

aitm

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on December 25, 2018, 09:56:45 AM
I was the kid who didn't know what the other kids were talking about back 1965.

I think I was reading See Spot Run...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

aitm

prolly a good thing i can't read that

Shiranu

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... comic books and their movies (as well as the occasional culture-changing pieces like LotR or Harry Potter) are the modern day equivalent of the mythological heroes our ancestors have revered for thousands upon thousands of years.

We have lost the mythical, but our Tony Starks and Supermans are just a way for the modern man to enjoy the world the way humans did for all of civilization before the "Enlightenment".

If anything, we don't take comic book movies seriously enough, because there is something amazingly magical about that imo.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers