News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Aah, I see. [spoiler]All I knew about Venom that he is an alien life form and very very powerful. But I thought he was a villain, seeing it in one of old Spidey movies, because I haven't read it. When they announced there will be a movie on him, I guessed that probbaly he wasn't. But that's it. He is cute. [/spoiler]
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 07, 2018, 12:59:09 PM
I watched Venom. I liked him. :) I liked them both. I didn't expect that. 

I couldn't finish Lala land. It's ...too lalalala. I don't have anything against musicals. I liked Sweeny Todd and Miserable.

You like Miserable Cannibals?  Yeah, very Continental philosophy ;-)  Needs more Angst!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Baruch on December 07, 2018, 02:29:41 PM
You like Miserable Cannibals?  Yeah, very Continental philosophy ;-)  Needs more Angst!

Les Misérables. :) Are you happy now?
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Shiranu on December 07, 2018, 01:16:01 PM
I heard so many bad reviews about it, but same... I went in with no expectations and really enjoyed it. It certainly had a few flaws, but it's also one of the few movies I have seen that got an audible chuckle out of me at several points as well as several scenes I thought were just straight up badass.
I liked the Elon Musk clone too.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 07, 2018, 05:09:12 PM
Les Misérables. :) Are you happy now?

I loved the music in both.  I think you should play a cross-gendered version of the Phantom of the Opera.  Artsy you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 07, 2018, 01:25:40 PM
Aah, I see. [spoiler]All I knew about Venom that he is an alien life form and very very powerful. But I thought he was a villain, seeing it in one of old Spidey movies, because I haven't read it. When they announced there will be a movie on him, I guessed that probbaly he wasn't. But that's it. He is cute. [/spoiler]

Venom is...complicated. Sometimes he's a hero. Sometimes he's a villain. He's supposed to have an obsession with destroying Spider-Man, which of course doesn't apply in a Spider-Manless universe like the one this movie takes place in. Both Eddie Brock and the black symbiote have reasons to hate Spider-Man, which is what's supposed to make their bond especially strong.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

More, screw the canon, script writing.  Poetic license should be arrested.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2018, 01:05:05 AM
Venom is...complicated. Sometimes he's a hero. Sometimes he's a villain. He's supposed to have an obsession with destroying Spider-Man, which of course doesn't apply in a Spider-Manless universe like the one this movie takes place in. Both Eddie Brock and the black symbiote have reasons to hate Spider-Man, which is what's supposed to make their bond especially strong.

Hmm. Then he is actually the closer one to the human despite being the only alien based superhero?

Or which one is the real villain? Brock or Venom? Feeding habits doesn't make an organism a villain. Life. All we know, we are worse than Venom when it comes to feeding.

It reminds me a bit of a twisted version of Dr. Jeykll and Mr Hyde. Well, that's a straight one obviously.

Baruch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 08, 2018, 08:39:44 AM
Hmm. Then he is actually the closer one to the human despite being the only alien based superhero?

Or which one is the real villain? Brock or Venom? Feeding habits doesn't make an organism a villain. Life. All we know, we are worse than Venom when it comes to feeding.

It reminds me a bit of a twisted version of Dr. Jeykll and Mr Hyde. Well, that's a straight one obviously.

Pedophiles have needs too ;-(  Sorry, I am species-ist.  I want the Great White to eliminate girl swimmers, everywhere!

Yes, Jekyll and Hyde is apt.  But it is closer to demonic possession.  Both stories are modern attempts at medieval tropes.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 08, 2018, 08:39:44 AM

Well, no. Venom is Brock + the symbiote. They both work in perfect unison because they have the same goal. Brock wanted to kill Spider-Man, and so did the symbiote. The symbiote needed a host, and Brock needed the power. Basically, they complete each other.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Peppermint  Jennifer Garner

I'm on a roll finding movies that Critics have trashed that I like.  This one sets a record for my point spreads though. Critics gave it a lousy 10% at RT.  I like Jennifer Garner, but I passed on this one at the theater, because at 10% it's got to be about as horrible a film as there is, right?  Now it came out at the box and I looked it up again to see how bad it was, because I couldn't remember, but noticed that the critics were out of sync with the public by an absurd amount:  Audiences = 74%.  So I put it on my wish list and just finished it.  74% is just about right when compared to movies in general, but when compared to other movies in it's genre, I'd say it's one of the best of the revenge films I've seen, possibly the best I've seen. 

Revenge films may be the most formula based movies Hollywood puts out.  They follow a stricter formula that romantic comedies, but they vary in interest I guess because of the way they are presented, and maybe somewhat by the caliber of the actors.  And Jennifer who is so sweet and cuddly that I just want to squeeze her, leaves a trail of body parts that makes other revenge heroes look like annoying juveniles.  In Peppermint she reminds me of Batman in Batman Begins as a failed justice system pisses off the sweet housewife and she begins by traveling the world learning how to met out punishment like she was a one woman League of Shadows. But unlike most superhero movies she doesn't spend a second in remorseful introspection wondering whether or not if she is doing the right thing.  She has already determined her plan and she doesn't deviate or slow down killing vermin.

In every revenge film there seems to be one sequence where the victims get the drop on the revenger who ends up in a seemingly impossible to survive situation usually chained to a basement pipe, and I may have been more tense waiting for that sequence than anything else, but it doesn't really happen.  She just keeps on killing people, until she's finished.  Blood and gore and lots of fun.  Take the kids.  No, forget that last sentence.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 08, 2018, 01:05:05 AM
Venom is...complicated.

Venom is basically 90's super hero comics personified. That they made a Venom movie baffles me when that shit is two decades past its expiration date.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: the_antithesis on December 12, 2018, 01:23:49 AM
Venom is basically 90's super hero comics personified. That they made a Venom movie baffles me when that shit is two decades past its expiration date.
They made it to make money. 30
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Train to busan.

Been wanting to see this one for a long time.

Did not dissapoint. A true recommendation.

Very creative setting for a zombie flick. And good acting too. (Visually, don't understand the language so can't comment on that.) Good feel for tension. Very claustrophobic. Little use of jump scares, but still good at getting you to the edge of your seat. A good rush over all. A smaller story than 28 days later, but better for it. More compact, allowing for bigger impact. More realistic this way: like a snippet into a catastrophe, cutting away from the disaster before you're bored of it. A taste leaving you wanting more. A smaller story that thus manages to grip you by the balls.
Even a bit of self-reflection for the main protagonist with the older corporate bigshot as the main human antagonist and his possible future. As all the best zombie stories are about something else than actual zombies, underneath the skin.

And most important of all: consistent zombies.
While I am more of a fan of the classic, slow zombie. Rather than fast infected... It's most important, to me, that the zombies are consistent. I've been watching the walking dead, into season 3 right now. It's not bad, though I've heard ill of further seasons. But the inconsistent zombie-rules keep pulling me out of it. Depending on the plotthey can only stagger, then again they can run. They can smell or recognize the living unless they are camouflaged, except when the living just lie down on the middle of the road pretending to be corpses. They rot and decay, but they continue to do so for extreme periods of time without losing in mobility or muscle-strentgh. (I've heard the story's progressed  over 6 years?) They are only attracted to screaming living victims, and not things that are already dead. That's why in the barn they're fed with chicken with a broken leg. But then when the convict wants to use them for a trap he can lure them with a bloody heart....

Anyway, this was about train to busan, not my gripe with TWD.
Very unique take on the zombie genre. The daylight, the tone of the movie... It's zombies, but from a genuine unique, similar yet different, approach.

9/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

We've learned much about zombies in recent years.  When I was a kid, there just wasn't enough knowledge about them, but science has done a lot of research since then and disproved many of the old beliefs such as zombies being sluggish half awake creatures.  Indeed they have keen senses and are lighting fast.  Same holds true of Vampires.  We used to think that Christian symbols, crosses, holy water, and garlic were surefire protection from vampires, but we now know that these safe guards only work sometimes.  There is still some hope for garlic, however.  As yet, no one wearing garlic garlands about their neck, has ever been bitten by a vampire, although garlic seems to have little or no effect on zombies.  Science still doesn't know all the answers about these things, but our knowledge base grows every year.  Just recently, we found that vampires are not affected by sunlight, except that sun makes their skin glisten like diamonds.  They are nocturnal, but they can do just fine in the daylight.