News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

given my often lack of money for anything extra or special one week to the next, I only really go to the cinema maybe once a month these days, so the movies I want to see always have to be something special I'm looking forward to.
This is why when I see a movie coming soon I consider if it might be good or not, I wait for the rating to come out first for the film, I've never been someone so excited to see a movie the moment its released that I'll get down to the cinema on first screening, I might even wait a week or two to see it, just to avoid heavy crowds.

This is how I felt about when they were advertising Venom. Now I've always kinda liked Venom, the character in the comics, though I always prefered him as the anti hero more then a villain to spiderman.

I brought several comics from when he was this anti hero type from the 90s.

This is why the idea of the movie being more along those lines appealed to me, since instead of being a spiderman villain (like the awful interpretation in spiderman 3), but one focused on bringing the real venom to life on the screen. This is why I waited for reviews to come out, intent to go see it..

and the reviews came out, and it looks like a real mess and one I wouldn't want to waste my money on, sad.

This is the best review I've seen on it.

https://youtu.be/AiEbygBiyCc

I mean some of the action sequences look okay, but the tones just off for everything else. I'm not convinced thats Eddie Brock, its just some tramp off the street the symbiote bounded to, and from whats being said the tone can't decide between dark and gritty, or goofy and comical.

I think, if they included spiderman in it, not as a major character but a prop for venom to play off of, like being the reason why Eddies down on his luck and moved away from new york, I dunno, maybe that might have worked?
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

Blade... very good movie, actually. First time seeing.

Certainly not a superhero though.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

blade played off the whole vampire craze at the time, seemed the right time to introduce him, and the movie was fine.

they could have played off marvels more darker elements such as blade, ghostrider, morbius, werewolf by night and Daimon Hellstrom, but then most of the marvel movies were all hit or miss in that era.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Munch on October 06, 2018, 09:38:09 PM
blade played off the whole vampire craze at the time, seemed the right time to introduce him, and the movie was fine.

they could have played off marvels more darker elements such as blade, ghostrider, morbius, werewolf by night and Daimon Hellstrom, but then most of the marvel movies were all hit or miss in that era.
Liked Blade. Liked Blade III, the ensemble worked well together, and Daniel Craig just did Daniel Craig. Can't complain about that.

Ghost Rider could have been cool if they had tried. The second one just sucked.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on October 06, 2018, 09:38:09 PM

It is weird to think that before Iron Man I, comic book movies were *almost* universally... meh to bad. Now they are the top movies in the world.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on October 06, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
It is weird to think that before Iron Man I, comic book movies were *almost* universally... meh to bad. Now they are the top movies in the world.

I dunno, before blade marvel didn't have much to showcase itself, but DC held itself up on the first superman movie back in 1978, and tim burtons batman 1 and 2 in 89 and 92, and they were regarded enough as good movies.
Marvel hit it big with the first x-men and spiderman movies, but I think their quality jumped even more with X2 and spiderman 2. There was a lot of crappy moves and sequals too like x3 and spiderman 3 ang lees Hulk and the wolverine, but since they hit a high with x2 and spiderman 2, it was only 4 years after spiderman 2 ironman came out.

So they did have good products here and their, it just wasn't held within a well put together shared universe till then.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on October 06, 2018, 09:42:43 PM
My theory is that budgets and creative control were the main things holding them back.  Plus, a lot of stuff would be difficult to pull off without CGI and motion capture, and those things have only become well developed in the past decade or so.

No idea why there hasn't already been a Black Window spy movie - no aliens or powers, just martial arts and guns - that'd be relatively easy to shoot.

Shiranu

Venom

So I went into it with very low expectations thanks to both bad reviews from critics and bad reviews from friends who had seen it...

Frankly, I don't know what the hell they are talking about. I thought it was a really good movie, the comedy landed and had the theatre laughing, the action was solid and engaging, the story never really had any moments where I was like, "Can you PLEASE hurry the fuck up?"... yeah, there was nothing really to criticise the movie about for me.

Could it have been better? Yeah, definitely. But in terms of just a fun action movie... it was exactly what it was.

One criticism I have seen is that it tried to blend comedy and seriousness, which people didn't like... but it's a Venom movie. Venom exists in the world of Spiderman, and you are expecting it to not have comedy? Really?

Munch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1FGxb2YlnY

This was really good. While I'm not the biggest DC comic fan, I grew up on batman in some capacity, the early tv shows on reruns, and the animated series in the 90s, which to me is still one of the best interpretations of batman ever, so given that, some graphic novels and other interpretations in animated movies, it just pisses me off how someone like zack snyder doesn't get that about batmans character.

Unless you have a clever and thought out reason to subvert a core aspect to the characters personality, like in this case batmans no kill rule that he's stood by in the animated shows, movies and comics, then unless you can do it well, its just going to come off like you don't give a shit about these core principles, which snyder clearly didn't.

And yeah, even though the tim burton movies where fun, he fucked that rule up too. I guess the only difference is when he made his movies, batman was still coming into his own in the public space, and only dedicated comic book readers back in the 80s understood that rule then, but thats no excuse now. it doesn't take much to sit down and watch several shows about batman to get why he doesn't kill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgW7pBKcU4k

funny how animated shows and movies have better characterization then live action movies.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on October 07, 2018, 08:54:37 PMUnless you have a clever and thought out reason to subvert a core aspect to the characters personality, like in this case batmans no kill rule that he's stood by in the animated shows, movies and comics, then unless you can do it well, its just going to come off like you don't give a shit about these core principles, which snyder clearly didn't.

And yeah, even though the tim burton movies where fun, he fucked that rule up too. I guess the only difference is when he made his movies, batman was still coming into his own in the public space, and only dedicated comic book readers back in the 80s understood that rule then, but thats no excuse now. it doesn't take much to sit down and watch several shows about batman to get why he doesn't kill.
I'm not super into DC or Batman, either.  But I don't think that rule's as ironclad as it's made out to be.  Batman has killed people in the comics.  Not very often, but it happens.

I'm also pretty sure that when it comes to godlike enemies that can't reasonably be imprisoned or reformed (like Darkseid) Batman absolutely would kill.

Munch

well like in the video its explained, the silver age batman did, but that was the silver age, before the writers cemented his character.

As for the darkseid moment, far as I read about it, he shot darksied to get him to fire his omega beam, that by plot would have him absorb the energy and redirect it at darkseid to beat him down? The writers made him break the one rule he had, but he also didn't kill darkseid while breaking it, so they probably think its okay.
I don't agree with that choices in writing but he still didn't kill him.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 07, 2018, 08:31:36 PM
Venom

So I went into it with very low expectations thanks to both bad reviews from critics and bad reviews from friends who had seen it...

Frankly, I don't know what the hell they are talking about. I thought it was a really good movie, the comedy landed and had the theatre laughing, the action was solid and engaging, the story never really had any moments where I was like, "Can you PLEASE hurry the fuck up?"... yeah, there was nothing really to criticise the movie about for me.

Could it have been better? Yeah, definitely. But in terms of just a fun action movie... it was exactly what it was.

One criticism I have seen is that it tried to blend comedy and seriousness, which people didn't like... but it's a Venom movie. Venom exists in the world of Spiderman, and you are expecting it to not have comedy? Really?
I just got back from the theater, and I went in and came out with exactly your impression.  It's a good movie.  My theater was laughing too.  I guess it's a Marvel Character, but it doesn't have the signature opening that resembles flipping through the pages of comic books.  Not sure why it's not part of the Marvel Universe.  9/10

Munch

Guess I'll give it a look at when it's out to buy, or download for cheaper.

SGOS

Best Line in a Trailer in a Long Time

The coming attraction starts out with the camera panning around a medical supply room filled with strap down tables, vials, bottles of pills and surgical supplies, and then to an interview with a woman in a white coat.  She explains, "I'm Dr. Martha Abbot (can't remember her name).  This is the Bla Bla Pine Hurst (can't remember the name) high security Psychiatric Hospital.  I deal exclusively with special patients that pose high risks to themselves and others who believe they are superheroes."

The rest of the preview shows a powerful cast including Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson, and sort of implies that some of the patients will turn out to be actual super heroes.  It's due out in January.  I think the name of the film might be Mister Glass.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on October 09, 2018, 04:42:37 PM
Best Line in a Trailer in a Long Time

The coming attraction starts out with the camera panning around a medical supply room filled with strap down tables, vials, bottles of pills and surgical supplies, and then to an interview with a woman in a white coat.  She explains, "I'm Dr. Martha Abbot (can't remember her name).  This is the Bla Bla Pine Hurst (can't remember the name) high security Psychiatric Hospital.  I deal exclusively with special patients that pose high risks to themselves and others who believe they are superheroes."

The rest of the preview shows a powerful cast including Bruce Willis and Samuel Jackson, and sort of implies that some of the patients will turn out to be actual super heroes.  It's due out in January.  I think the name of the film might be Mister Glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq8x1Ps2pdw

Glass ... Bruce Willis is doing lots of movies right now ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.