News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 18, 2018, 07:27:20 PM
Pfft. How many characters do Marvel and DC have that are copies of each other? Deathstroke, Deadpool. Green Arrow, Hawk Eye. This isn't the first time this happened. Ironically, Captain Marvel was originally a DC comic character, but they went without using them for so long that they lost ownership of the name, allowing Marvel to take it.
That suit did sound like a chicken shit move on DC's part.

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 18, 2018, 05:52:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8
I thought it was clever that she fell to Earth and crashed the through roof of a Blockbuster Video store.  Typical Marvel ("Here I am, Earthlings... in the movies").

Baruch

I thought ... Blockbuster Video Store ... how will younger people relate, who only know streaming?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on September 18, 2018, 08:24:28 PM
I thought it was clever that she fell to Earth and crashed the through roof of a Blockbuster Video store.
I thought that was a nice touch.  1) It establishes that this is the past without the stupid and overused trope of looking at a newspaper.  2) It pokes fun at Blockbuster's collapse.  3) It makes good use of cheap, abandoned Blockbuster real estate.

SGOS

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/12/soon-there-only-one-blockbuster-video-store-left-u-s/781653002/

When I was a kid, it seemed like everything was permanent and a Snickers Bar would always be 5 cents.  As I got older, I was surprised by how much things do change.  But the last three decades have been phenomenal.  Financial empires are built and then crash in a spans often less than 20 years. 

I don't know how much it costs to rent a movie at that last Blockbuster store today, but 30 years ago, a new movie just out on VHS rented for $5 for one night.  Then came Netflix, and if you watched a movie the day you got it in the mail and took it back to post office before the evening's mail was sent out, you would have another in two days.  Turn them around fast and the rental could be just over $1, and they drove all those Mom and Pop video stores out of business by renting movies at one fifth of the price.  And the behemoth Blockbuster is down to one store.  Netflix still rents disks, but only because no one would buy the business when they tried to unload the thing.  If you want to rent disks at Redbox it's $1.50, but it's limited to recent releases, and I wonder how long they're going to last.

Newspapers, magazines, Circuit City, and an infinite number of dot.com ventures rose and fell like rocket misfires.  The latest generation doesn't know how awkward it is to adjust after a life in the slow zone. It's almost like having an attention span is no longer an asset.  I took typing classes in high school.  Now most everyone types with their thumbs on a smart phone.  It would drive my typing teacher crazy.  If it gets any faster, I'm throwin' in the towel. :-|

Hydra009

Eh, things change, things stay the same.

Sure, things happen at a relentless pace, though how much of that is worth keeping track of?  Filter out the garbage and you're back to a more manageable pace.

Most of the big businesses and their products are still around, just with shiny new labels on the same old thing.

There are a lot of new gadgets and services, thanks to the rapid proliferation of both data (information) and networks (the ability to access data).  But imho, new features (and headaches) just replace old ones, so the psychological burden is more or less the same - you don't have to unplug the phone to access the internet, but now you have to deal with an endless stream of notifications (our privacy policy has changed)

But even in this new digital age, most of the BS we deal with on a daily basis is the same stuff that we dealt with decades ago, just slightly different.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 16, 2018, 10:00:08 AM
My ex had been a film major, and thanks to him I understand why Kane is the big deal it is.  Yes, it looks like thousands of other movies from the 40s... but it was the first to look like that, and virtually re-invented moviemaking the same way Cabiria had in 1914 (from which D.W. Griffith drew his moviemaking style).

Side note on Cabiria -- there's something almost unnerving about seeing a vintage silent film with nearly modern camerawork.  The story is mundane, but the cinematography is fifteen or twenty years ahead of its time.

I might recommend watching Citizen Kane with a commentary track -- the best one I know of was done by Roger Ebert.

Come to think of it, I've never sat down and watched Casablanca all the way through.  I really should correct that.

I don't care about Citizen Kane because I don't give a damn about modern society movies.  I am interested in the farther past and the future.  The Present is both boring and unimportant.  Here today, gone tomorrow.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on September 18, 2018, 11:22:51 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/12/soon-there-only-one-blockbuster-video-store-left-u-s/781653002/

When I was a kid, it seemed like everything was permanent and a Snickers Bar would always be 5 cents.  As I got older, I was surprised by how much things do change.  But the last three decades have been phenomenal.  Financial empires are built and then crash in a spans often less than 20 years. 

I don't know how much it costs to rent a movie at that last Blockbuster store today, but 30 years ago, a new movie just out on VHS rented for $5 for one night.  Then came Netflix, and if you watched a movie the day you got it in the mail and took it back to post office before the evening's mail was sent out, you would have another in two days.  Turn them around fast and the rental could be just over $1, and they drove all those Mom and Pop video stores out of business by renting movies at one fifth of the price.  And the behemoth Blockbuster is down to one store.  Netflix still rents disks, but only because no one would buy the business when they tried to unload the thing.  If you want to rent disks at Redbox it's $1.50, but it's limited to recent releases, and I wonder how long they're going to last.

Newspapers, magazines, Circuit City, and an infinite number of dot.com ventures rose and fell like rocket misfires.  The latest generation doesn't know how awkward it is to adjust after a life in the slow zone. It's almost like having an attention span is no longer an asset.  I took typing classes in high school.  Now most everyone types with their thumbs on a smart phone.  It would drive my typing teacher crazy.  If it gets any faster, I'm throwin' in the towel. :-|

I was never part of the rent world anyway.  The only VHS I ever rented was for a college course in the early 90s (Indochine).  I don't have Netflix or HBO, or any other special viewing arrangements.  If they all disappeared tomorrow, it would just mean they showed up on my regular cable channels sooner.  Its all a scam.

I don't have a smart phone, I don't even have a cell phone.  I have a computer.  But even then, I've never twitted or instagrammed.  I've never facebooked.  And yet somehow, here I am a thoughtful human being...  Shocking.

Baruch

I mostly agree with you on newer technology.  It has all gone downhill since the 4-function calculator ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 18, 2018, 07:27:20 PM
Pfft. How many characters do Marvel and DC have that are copies of each other? Deathstroke, Deadpool. Green Arrow, Hawk Eye. This isn't the first time this happened. Ironically, Captain Marvel was originally a DC comic character, but they went without using them for so long that they lost ownership of the name, allowing Marvel to take it.
Aaaaactually... Captain Marvel was originally a Fawcett Comics title and for a time in the 1940s was even more popular than Superman, but DC sued Fawcett for copyright infringement (at the same time, DC was stealing Dr. Sivana from Fawcett and renaming him Lex Luthor, and Superman didn't fly until after Captain Marvel did) and eventually drove them out of the comics business.  They only later licensed Captain Marvel from what was left of Fawcett, in the early 1970s, after Marvel had created their own (quite different) Captain Marvel, and didn't actually purchase the character until 1991.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on September 19, 2018, 01:17:34 PM
Aaaaactually... Captain Marvel was originally a Fawcett Comics title and for a time in the 1940s was even more popular than Superman, but DC sued Fawcett for copyright infringement (at the same time, DC was stealing Dr. Sivana from Fawcett and renaming him Lex Luthor, and Superman didn't fly until after Captain Marvel did) and eventually drove them out of the comics business.  They only later licensed Captain Marvel from what was left of Fawcett, in the early 1970s, after Marvel had created their own (quite different) Captain Marvel, and didn't actually purchase the character until 1991.

Rule #1  Never risk creating a new character if you can copy a successful one.
Rule #2  Steal a concept.  Stan Lee saw a copy of Justice League and said to his producers.  I want a TEAM by Monday.  FF...

Draconic Aiur

Halo Legends was awesome

8/10

It made me cry and laugh and many can do that.

SGOS

Synchronicity 2015    ?/10

This is harder to follow than Predestination.  I gave up trying to figure out both on my own, so I googled for help.  I understand Predestination now, buy I'm still lost with Synchronicity, even with the help.  Maybe a few more watches and I'll get it.  These time travel flicks can get pretty complicated.

Edit:  Synchronicity is technically not time travel.  It's interdimensional travel, but it first appears to be time travel.

Munch

Here's someone who doesn't get enough credit.

Javier Botet, a guy born in Ciudad Real (in spain), was at age 5 diagnosed with the condition Marfan syndrome, which  is "a genetic disorder of the connective tissue. The degree to which people are affected varies. People with Marfan tend to be tall, and thin, with long arms, legs, fingers, and toes. They also typically have flexible joints and scoliosis"

But instead of living with the fact he had this condiction in a negative way, he used it to become a film star of sorts.

He played the main creature in the movie mama, the monster in Rec, the crocked man in the conjuring 2, a ghoul in crimson leak, and recently slenderman.

He pretty much took his condition, and made full use of it for horror, making a career from some of the recent horror movies out there.

Guy deserves recognition, as much as they do for andy serkis
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin