News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 21, 2018, 10:26:58 PM
Yeah its not doing it any favours, but to me it felt that having a great guy like Jason Momoa as aquaman was one of the better casting choices in this whole DC setup, and would like to see them at least do something with it.

I did like him in the JLU series and in the 90s comics, since he got a pretty good redesign, which these film makers seemed to realise was the better look.

OMG, Munch, you're an action figure! He looks just like you present yourself!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

QuoteI don't know if you've ever seen it on the big screen -- imagine seeing the paddleboat sequence at full scale at the age of 8.

you know it took me years to realize I was watching a chickens head being cut off. Ah the wonder of childhood innocence.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on July 25, 2018, 03:02:36 PM
you know it took me years to realize I was watching a chickens head being cut off. Ah the wonder of childhood innocence.

Well, eat the thighs and breasts.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Ready Player One  5/10

I keep thinking I've missed something.  Movies based on specific computer games seldom do well, although I've enjoyed some of them.  This one is based on gaming in general, I see what they are trying to do.  They weave some real gaming culture stuff into the plot, and there are those, "Oh so true," moments when you recognize some cultural idiosyncrasy, but the movie leaves me unimpressed over all.  I think it had good reviews too.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 25, 2018, 04:47:50 AM
Pan's labyrinth

Been wanting to see this one for a while.
Was not dissapointed.
Color me impressed.
I was uncertain right up to the end.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mr.Obvious

Le fils (2002 Franco-belgian movie)

I don't know.
I really don't.
Believable portrayals. Heartwrenching, be it somewhat slow plot. A 'show, don't tell' way of telling The story, which I appreciate. But The camerawork, though obviously deliberate and while creative, is not  an added value for me. 99% of The movie is shot over The shoulder, third person close up to The main character. We see little else in a lots of shots, making it that we miss a lot of actions gOing on, only being able to react after he does so. I think it is to show how lost The main character is. And that we as an audiences don't know what's comiÅ,,, nor where he is trying to go. Because he doesn't either. But it becomes draining after a while.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

SGOS

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 27, 2018, 02:46:21 AM

I don't know.
I really don't.
Believable portrayals. Heartwrenching, be it somewhat slow plot. A 'show, don't tell' way of telling The story, which I appreciate. But The camerawork, though obviously deliberate and while creative, is not  an added value for me. 99% of The movie is shot over The shoulder, third person close up to The main character. We see little else in a lots of shots, making it that we miss a lot of actions gOing on, only being able to react after he does so. I think it is to show how lost The main character is. And that we as an audiences don't know what's comiÅ,,, nor where he is trying to go. Because he doesn't either. But it becomes draining after a while.
Shaky cam helps to add to chaos, and can be useful, but when the entire movie is shot that way, it's a major distraction.  The Bourne Identity was one of my favorite books, but the movies failed for me wrecked in part by shaky cam.  I turned off one of the films immediately when the director started bouncing the camera all over the place at the very beginning.  I remember thinking, "I'm not going watch this cheap attempt at being artsy fartsy."  It may have been a year later before I forced myself to watch the entire film, and I can say that I grew to hate the Bourne series in spite of the first rate cast.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 27, 2018, 02:46:21 AM

I don't know.
I really don't.

Ingmar Bergman strikes again?

"I'm not going watch this cheap attempt at being artsy fartsy." - ROFL
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: trdsf on July 25, 2018, 01:19:39 PM
I don't know if you've ever seen it on the big screen -- imagine seeing the paddleboat sequence at full scale at the age of 8.
I did.  It scared the crap out of me.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on July 27, 2018, 04:02:53 AMShaky cam helps to add to chaos, and can be useful, but when the entire movie is shot that way, it's a major distraction.
Agreed.  It think it's best used in small doses.  My favorite use of it was with the reimagined battlestar galactica space battle sequences.  But if the whole show was shot that way, it'd probably end up shooting the tv.

Baruch

Le Fils 2002 or Le Fils de Jean 2016?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

The Dark Tower - 7/10

Idris Elba pretty much carried this movie as well as the villian played by Matthew McConaughey. Without their performance this movie would strike me as quite bland.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on July 27, 2018, 01:05:37 PM
Le Fils 2002 or Le Fils de Jean 2016?

Haven't seen Le fils de Jean.
Is it good?

Saw 'De Behandeling' yesterday. Flemish film. Based on the Brittish Mo Hayder's The Treatment.
The dutch name is a translation of that title. I haven't read the original. But if you're not into foreign films, I'd recommend the book. I assume it's  good, as this story was good.

Great film. An engaging and disturbing thriller.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 28, 2018, 04:59:29 AM
Haven't seen Le fils de Jean.
Is it good?

Saw 'De Behandeling' yesterday. Flemish film. Based on the Brittish Mo Hayder's The Treatment.
The dutch name is a translation of that title. I haven't read the original. But if you're not into foreign films, I'd recommend the book. I assume it's  good, as this story was good.

Great film. An engaging and disturbing thriller.

I saw the previews to both.  I sometimes watch French movies.  Le fils didn't seem like fun.  Le fils de Jean .. is about family and inheritance.  Something relevant to me.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

I enjoyed the latest Mission Impossible.  Though I don't think it was AS great as the reviews say.  A lot of the plot twists were obvious.  But, sure, it's fun.  7/10
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.