Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on June 28, 2018, 07:55:40 AM
saw Solo: A Star Wars Story

The best parts for me was seeing the friendship of Han and Chewy grow from here. Alden Ehrenreich as Han was alright, felt like he was missing something that Harrison Ford had, like he was trying to hard in some scenes to be like Ford, but other times he did the role pretty good. Donald Glover as Lando Calrissian is a lot of fun and he's great in any scene hes's in.
Can't really say much about the other characters, didn't really gel with me like Han, Chewy and Lando did.
Same here about the redos of Star Trek.  The new characters weren't the originals, but they did a pretty good job.  And I accepted them quickly.

Redos are tricky.  You could probably redo 'The Alamo' easily.  It wouldn't have to have John Wayne in it.  But could you do 'Gone With The Wind' as easily?
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

They tried to redo psycho, with Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. The movie had none of the Hitchcock feel to it and Vaughn captured nothing of the chilling performance Antony Perkins had
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 13, 2018, 04:51:28 AM
They tried to redo psycho, with Vince Vaughn as Norman Bates. The movie had none of the Hitchcock feel to it and Vaughn captured nothing of the chilling performance Antony Perkins had

There's also Bates Motel as another interpretation of the same story. Haven't seen it, but I heard it's pretty good.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Munch

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2018, 09:30:58 AM
There's also Bates Motel as another interpretation of the same story. Haven't seen it, but I heard it's pretty good.

yeah heard about that but never saw it. I just felt the premise of making psycho into a series was just weird, since the original movies story was a stand alone masterpiece.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on July 13, 2018, 01:32:19 AM
But why would you want to?

For all intents and purposes, the entertainment I love is perfect the way it is. There is no need to nitpick art I enjoy.
Same reason I like modding.  I like taking things apart and seeing what makes them tick.  Seeing what works and what doesn't work.  Imagining what improvements could be made.

I also tend to notice more details about stuff I've seen more often and therefore more likely to pick up on small things that don't really make sense.

People tend to (wrongly I think) conflate criticism with dislike or contempt.  It's not unlike the idea that blasphemy literally wounds god.  It's an absurd idea of course, and driven by the misapprehension that one's love of something is somehow threatened by someone else's criticism of it.

Gawdzilla Sama

That, or endless niggling is tedious.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on July 13, 2018, 12:54:38 PM
That, or endless niggling is tedious.

Yeah, catching eels is a real boring activity. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 13, 2018, 12:37:07 PM
Same reason I like modding.  I like taking things apart and seeing what makes them tick.  Seeing what works and what doesn't work.  Imagining what improvements could be made.

I also tend to notice more details about stuff I've seen more often and therefore more likely to pick up on small things that don't really make sense.

People tend to (wrongly I think) conflate criticism with dislike or contempt.  It's not unlike the idea that blasphemy literally wounds god.  It's an absurd idea of course, and driven by the misapprehension that one's love of something is somehow threatened by someone else's criticism of it.

well said. Picking apart something even something you love can like say give you a new look at it. When you deconstruct something, and yet you still enjoy it, then your know its a winner in your eyes. I've seen people pick apart some of my favorite movies and tv shows and games and comics, give their criticism of these things and its never tainted my view of the thing.

I do feel that if your feelings towards something is so fragile that any slight push making you thinking its anything but perfect, then maybe you need to look again at your own resolve or what you like about it. We don't live in a perfect world, but you can still find things in it that make it enjoyable.

And just because your thoughts on something down the line changes to something you once lived, doesn't mean you can't find something new to enjoy. I've fallen out of favor with certain movies due to things coming out about actors I use to enjoy but don't anymore. But so what, shit happens, you move on.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 13, 2018, 01:00:39 PM
well said. Picking apart something even something you love can like say give you a new look at it. When you deconstruct something, and yet you still enjoy it, then your know its a winner in your eyes. I've seen people pick apart some of my favorite movies and tv shows and games and comics, give their criticism of these things and its never tainted my view of the thing.

I do feel that if your feelings towards something is so fragile that any slight push making you thinking its anything but perfect, then maybe you need to look again at your own resolve or what you like about it. We don't live in a perfect world, but you can still find things in it that make it enjoyable.

And just because your thoughts on something down the line changes to something you once lived, doesn't mean you can't find something new to enjoy. I've fallen out of favor with certain movies due to things coming out about actors I use to enjoy but don't anymore. But so what, shit happens, you move on.

I actually enjoy poking fun at things that I like. Those imperfections don't ruin the experience for me. The acknowledgement of those flaws just makes them more entertaining, like after I learned that you could see the hand of a puppeteer controlling a raptor in Jurassic Park's kitchen scene. I can't unsee it, but it just makes me laugh when I watch that scene now. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 13, 2018, 01:00:39 PM
Yeah.  I love to watch movie reviews and it's a blast to watch a review about why movie X is the WORST THING EVER before or after a review about why movie X is the BEST THING EVER.  I don't necessarily agree with either review, but it's interesting to try to understand where they're coming from and how that colors how they saw the exact same thing, leading to wildly different conclusions.

Like you and Shiranu on Black Panther.  Or me and Shiranu on The Last Jedi.  Or me and almost anybody else on Mortal Kombat Annihilation, lol.

A lot of it boils down to what people expected from the movie.  People often want different, mutually-exclusive things.  And sometimes a movie is not as good as it could have been because crucial scenes were cut, character motivations are off, events progress in unexpected and implausible ways, etc.  There are nearly infinite ways a movie can go wrong, and few ways a movie can go right.  That's what makes the analyzing them so interesting.

trdsf

Remastered "Yellow Submarine" -- wonderful!  The remastered music brought out things I never noticed before in the original recordings, and my only regret was not sitting a little closer so the screen could have filled my vision and I could've just let myself be completely absorbed into the movie.

Recommended.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 13, 2018, 10:04:15 PM
I actually enjoy poking fun at things that I like. Those imperfections don't ruin the experience for me. The acknowledgement of those flaws just makes them more entertaining, like after I learned that you could see the hand of a puppeteer controlling a raptor in Jurassic Park's kitchen scene. I can't unsee it, but it just makes me laugh when I watch that scene now. lol
That's among the reasons I love MST3K -- because I also love the movies they do.  Half the thrill of last year's "The Mads Are Back" was being able to see Glen or Glenda? on a big screen for the first time.  I would pay for a screening of a remastered Plan Nine from Outer Space long before I would pay to see any Marvel Universe movie you name.  I will probably cry when Roger Corman dies.  When you say Notorious B.I.G. that means Bert I. Gordon to me, not some rapper.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Ant Man II

It was entertaining, but didn't affect me on at a level that most Marvel movies do.  It's in it's second week and people haven't commented on it here.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: SGOS on July 15, 2018, 07:40:43 PM
Ant Man II

It was entertaining, but didn't affect me on at a level that most Marvel movies do.  It's in it's second week and people haven't commented on it here.

I've fallen hopelessly behind in Marvel movies.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on July 15, 2018, 07:40:43 PM
Ant Man II

This is "Ant Man and Wasp", yes?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers