News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 04, 2018, 10:18:27 AM
Yeah, his character was pretty goofy in Ragnarok.  I think he was okay in Infinity War, though he was nothing like the Thor depicted in the comics - regal, proud, somewhat intimidating.  Thor in Infinity War was godlike in his actions, but the dialogue had a very mortal bearing.  Given what he has lost, that makes sense.  And come to think of it, MCU Odin and Loki don't really have the demeanor of Gods, either.
I can't speak to the comics, but in the movies Thor has always delighted me with his simpleton like caricature of a God.  He's always been goofy, acting like an immigrant suffering from jet lag, rather than the protector of Midguard.  Ragnarock may have overused it, because it went over so well in the previous movies.  I was still OK with it, but it did kind of stretch the image.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on June 09, 2018, 10:09:23 PM
I'm not saying you have a lack of empathy, I'm saying you refuse to show it towards people you have been told not to.

And who might these people be who tell me to think that?

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on June 09, 2018, 10:01:15 PM
Tell me, have you ever watched the movie the color purple, starring Whoopi Goldberg?

I saw this movie as a child and didn't understand back then the messages and implications of it, but I remember my mum watching this movie and crying.

I watched it again like 15 years later, and got why she did. Its the historical context, the depth of the characters, and her performance that made this movie a piece of cinematic history.

Don't sit at your computer screen telling me I have a lack of empathy, because I'll prove you so wrong on every count.

That was a great movie.  But it was feminist (in a good way) about misogyny and racism.  I didn't cry, I wanted to go baseball bat on some people.  See, tragedy is like that.  It engages the deeper emotions, to purge them (says Aristotle).

I enjoyed the clips I saw from Black Panther ... but then I like movies that come from an alternative cultural context, even sci-fi.  White folk are so vanilla ... give me some chocolate or strawberry please.

The real Wakanda ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9BVPfYdzWY
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on June 09, 2018, 10:10:00 PM
I can't speak to the comics, but in the movies Thor has always delighted me with his simpleton like caricature of a God.  He's always been goofy, acting like an immigrant suffering from jet lag, rather than the protector of Midguard.  Ragnarock may have overused it, because it went over so well in the previous movies.  I was still OK with it, but it did kind of stretch the image.

Well I did always enjoy the way Hulk treated the Norse Gods.  In that one movie, he just grabbed Loki by the feet and beat him around on the floor like a lady beating down rats with a broom, LOL!  On the other  hand, Loki was just worn out, not dead, like any mortal human would have been.  And at the end, he just punches Thor right out of the ship and didn't actually hurt him.  So the Asgardians might have a claim to a general immortality.  They do seem to be pretty indestructible.  And I do know my Norse lore.

And in the Marvel Comics of yore, Thor was a pretty grim conservative fellow (all thunder and lightening) only slightly modified by his experiences among humans (whom he came to admire).  I suppose that could explain his slightly different outlook in the movies. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Paganism was not only older than monotheism, it is more rational and more humorous.  Monotheism started with the mad puritan, Pharaoh Akhenaten.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

The Mummy (2017) - 4/10

Not even all the cgi could make this movie any better, and stupid story as well.

SGOS

Quote from: Sal1981 on June 12, 2018, 04:55:00 AM
The Mummy (2017) - 4/10

Not even all the cgi could make this movie any better, and stupid story as well.
One of my first horror interests were the old black and white Mummy originals.  I was at an age where the whole concept of mummies was unique, plus they got up and walked around when disturbed.  There's still lots of Mummy lore that could be developed.  Who knew the real scoop on what vampires are really capable of, until Hollywood showed us what they really could and couldn't do.  I'm not going to bother with this one.  Tom Cruise is capable, but now type cast.  It's always Tom Cruise, and never a new personality that I can develop an interest in.  They're always about, well... Tom Cruise.  Plus the ratings on this one were near bottom.  I've seen worse reviews, but not very often.

Baruch

Hard to beat Boris Karloff ... bring torches and pitchforks ;-)

The original movie of course was inspired by the "curse of king Tut" back in the 1920s.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

trdsf

Well, not so much a movie as 90 movie clips in 18 categories... oh boy.

See, there's this thing called the Smithee Awards.  And what they do is take really awful movies and put five clips up in each of 18 (formerly 19) categories, ranging from Most Ludicrous Premise and "Let's Up The Rating To R" to Crummiest Ending and Worst Picture.

Every five years, they take the last five "winners" and put them up against each other in the MegaMeta Smithees.  Last year we chose the fifth set of MegaMeta Smithee "winners".

This year for the first time they held the UltraMegaMeta Smithees, pitting the last five MegaMeta "winners" against each other.

To quote the immortal Doctor Zachary Smith, "Oh the pain... the pain!"
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on June 15, 2018, 03:26:51 AM
Well, not so much a movie as 90 movie clips in 18 categories... oh boy.

See, there's this thing called the Smithee Awards.  And what they do is take really awful movies and put five clips up in each of 18 (formerly 19) categories, ranging from Most Ludicrous Premise and "Let's Up The Rating To R" to Crummiest Ending and Worst Picture.

Every five years, they take the last five "winners" and put them up against each other in the MegaMeta Smithees.  Last year we chose the fifth set of MegaMeta Smithee "winners".

This year for the first time they held the UltraMegaMeta Smithees, pitting the last five MegaMeta "winners" against each other.

To quote the immortal Doctor Zachary Smith, "Oh the pain... the pain!"

Art is unforgiving.  Even popularity fades.  Becoming a classic is almost impossible.  And there is ... "if you can't be a positive example you can always be a negative example".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2018, 06:54:39 AM
Art is unforgiving.  Even popularity fades.  Becoming a classic is almost impossible.  And there is ... "if you can't be a positive example you can always be a negative example".

I thought I should rent Gone With the Wind, being as it's such a classic, but I was really disappointed.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 15, 2018, 10:33:55 AM
I thought I should rent Gone With the Wind, being as it's such a classic, but I was really disappointed.

Needs a big screen, and that was very long ago.  The two super classics are Vertigo and Citizen Kane.  Have you seen those?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 15, 2018, 12:31:41 PM
Needs a big screen, and that was very long ago.  The two super classics are Vertigo and Citizen Kane.  Have you seen those?
Yes.  I watched Vertigo several times on the old 1960's black and white TV, but haven't seen it for a long time.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 15, 2018, 02:03:03 PM
Yes.  I watched Vertigo several times on the old 1960's black and white TV, but haven't seen it for a long time.

Much better in color ... and it is now rated higher than Citizen Kane.  Citizen Kane of course was filmed in B&W deliberately.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Dunno if I talked about this one before, but I remembered seeing it last year.

It Follows 6/10

Spoilers:
[spoiler]This is a strange movie. It has a lot of good scenes and moments in it, I even jumped at one moment, but what really ruins this movie for me was the ridiculous story and 'world building', that people are saying made it unique and fresh.
It had moments in it like we're meant to be guessing what time period this was set in, like one girl having a 1990s crabshell shone, but its got this future like technology in it, stuff like that just felt distracting and yet it only happened a few times, so they just didn't add anything to the movie.
The acting was okayish, some of the actors were pretty average, none of them really gave any stand out performances.

The biggest problems I had with it was how inconsistent the 'monster' in it was, so anyone with the curse is followed by this creature that takes on the form of random strangers, as it slowly walks towards you, and will kill you once it catches up to you. But if you have sex with someone, the curse passes onto them, until the thing kill them and then comes right back to following you after. This on paper had the possibility of being interesting, but the execution was just off.
It also seemed to suggest the monster was a metaphor for sexuality transmuted disease, but that was more head scratching then innovative.

Also the creature itself like say was so inconsistent, nobody else except those effected by the curse can see it, so its invisible to anyone not, and yet its shown to have a physical presence when you fire a gun at it, and how it can lift objects and throw them around. It also seemed to change it walking speed whenever its convenient for the story.

I laughed out loud at one moment when their meant to be heading to the school to track the thing there and try and kill it, and theres a shot outside the school with incredibly fake looking rain that was just hilarious to me.

The only good scenes in the movie were when the creature appears out from behind one of them from a doorway and its this huge guy playing it in that moment. Also the final scene when the two main characters are walking down the sidewalk holding hands, and we're not sure if what we're seeing in the distance is the thing still, if its dead or not, but we're never told.

Like say, on paper, it had an interesting idea going for it, but all the little needless details and inconsistent problems just ruin the movie for me. How this got given a 97% on rotten tomatoes is weird. [/spoiler]
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin