Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on May 02, 2018, 10:50:45 PM
I just felt bludgeoned by CGI battles.
You just summed up why I simply don't bother with superhero movies.  I have no opinion on the merits or demerits of any of the Marvel or DC offerings, only that they're complete sensory overload for me and I have no desire to watch them.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Sal1981

Quote from: SGOS on April 28, 2018, 09:57:48 AM
Spoiler to your spoiler:
[spoiler=SGOS ]Those dirty Marvel buggers!  Well there still could be another Dr. Strange or Ironman film before the Marvel Universe collapses altogether, and the last after credits teaser is nothing but an announcement from Stan Lee laughing, "Kiss off, Suckers!"[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Not to mention like half the heroes die as well, including the beloved young Groot. I think it was a spoiler discussion with Screen Junkies of the movie where they touched upon the comics as as well. In the movie you see a lot from the perspective of Thanos, and his brief conversation with Tony Stark where he explains his reasons as to why he wants to murder half the universe's population. Still a psychotic measure.

I liked the movie a lot - 9.5/10[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

Some people watch anime and complain about CG. That's so weird.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

GSOgymrat

I saw Avengers: Infinity War Tuesday night at 10:30 pm and thought the theater would be fairly empty but it was 75% full. I was very entertained and impressed. With the number of heroes and villains involved I wasn't sure if this was going to work, it could have been a huge train wreck. The heroes interactions were authentic to their personalities and abilities, the action scenes were exciting, the humor didn't seem forced or out of context... everything worked.

[spoiler]I am the only one who was thinking during the movie that limiting every creature's ability to reproduce would be a more effective, enduring and humane solution to Thanos' population and resource concerns?[/spoiler]

Gawdzilla Sama

We saw it on Sunday at 3 PM, the best choice for us out of the FORTY-ONE SCREENINGS that theater had that day. Nearly full theater.

I wonder if it's making any money.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: GSOgymrat on May 03, 2018, 04:58:50 PM
[spoiler]I am the only one who was thinking during the movie that limiting every creature's ability to reproduce would be a more effective, enduring and humane solution to Thanos' population and resource concerns?[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Not at all.  I thought so, too.

It's a poorly-conceived plan.  And it seems unbelievable for someone like Thanos to be motivated by concern for others.  Besides, if he truly wants to ensure their "gratitude", he would set himself up as their ruler and enforce population-limiting policy, rather than kicking the anthill every now and then.

The obvious explaination is that he's lying.  He doesn't care about how many live, he cares about how many die.  His true motivation is to impress Lady Death with increasingly enormous mass cullings.[/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2018, 06:34:53 PM
[spoiler]Not at all.  I thought so, too.

It's a poorly-conceived plan.  And it seems unbelievable for someone like Thanos to be motivated by concern for others.  Besides, if he truly wants to ensure their "gratitude", he would set himself up as their ruler and enforce population-limiting policy, rather than kicking the anthill every now and then.

The obvious explaination is that he's lying.  He doesn't care about how many live, he cares about how many die.  His true motivation is to impress Lady Death with increasingly enormous mass cullings.[/spoiler]
I got confused at that point.  I remember thinking, "That doesn't make sense to me," but then I just passed it off as something in the comics.  Personally, I think Thanos is just a weird guy, like people that post weird things on the internet.  Except that he's got a lot of power and he's the ultimate power monger.  I might even consider re-evaluating my lavish praise for Marvel writers.  It would still be high, but maybe take it down a notch.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 03, 2018, 09:54:11 PM
I got confused at that point.  I remember thinking, "That doesn't make sense to me," but then I just passed it off as something in the comics.  Personally, I think Thanos is just a weird guy, like people that post weird things on the internet.  Except that he's got a lot of power and he's the ultimate power monger.  I might even consider re-evaluating my lavish praise for Marvel writers.  It would still be high, but maybe take it down a notch.
When you go deep into his backstory and philosophy, his actions make more sense.  He's one screwed up little cookie.  (check out Thanos Rising if you're interested)

And while he's driven to achieve power, he's not into power for its own sake - he doesn't want to rule over people like Loki would have, he doesn't crave their adoration or loyalty or anything else.  For Thanos, power is a means to an end - primarily to court his true love, sometimes to change the universe to "fix" something he considers undesirable.  And when that ends is fulfilled, he's (almost) perfectly content to live a humble life of seclusion.

Hydra009

Another thing I liked about Infinity War:

[spoiler]If you notice, Thanos shows an awful lot of restraint in his attacks.  More restraint than one might expect from a "mad" Titan whose name is nearly synonymous with death.

With the power gem alone, Thanos could've been killing people left and right.  But he didn't.  And he often gives people the option to hand over their gems without a fight, like he did with Doctor Strange and Iron Man.  He could've lied and killed Tony Stark anyway, but he didn't.  He kept his word, and teleports out the instant he has what he wants when he could tie up loose ends.

He fights only when he's forced to, and even then, he mostly just knocks people out of the way.  One might say that's because of character shields, and you're not wrong about that.  But there's also another reason:  Thanos' focus on acquiring the infinity gems and enacting his plan is so all-consuming that he doesn't care about anything else.

That's a strength, but it's also a weakness...[/spoiler]

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2018, 10:14:06 PM
When you go deep into his backstory and philosophy, his actions make more sense.  He's one screwed up little cookie.  (check out Thanos Rising if you're interested)
This might be the only situation where I felt following the comics would improve my understanding of Marvel films.  Until now, Marvel Studios didn't seem to require any information outside of the films themselves to feel complete.  Although, what you just explained may be revealed in subsequent films.

My first encounter with Thanos was in Guardians of the Galaxy, where he appeared to need death and destruction for it's own sake.  Now his actions are confusing.  Perhaps this is part of the evolution that Marvel is unfolding in film, as it may have previously done in comics.  I'll guess that most theater fans of Marvel, never paid attention to the comics.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 03, 2018, 10:14:06 PM

And while he's driven to achieve power, he's not into power for its own sake - he doesn't want to rule over people like Loki would have, he doesn't crave their adoration or loyalty or anything else.  For Thanos, power is a means to an end - primarily to court his true love, sometimes to change the universe to "fix" something he considers undesirable.  And when that ends is fulfilled, he's (almost) perfectly content to live a humble life of seclusion.

... "fix" something he considers undesirable ... like any other intolerant being.  Sulla (Roman dictator) was humble in retirement, after the Proscriptions.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 04, 2018, 06:47:06 AM
This might be the only situation where I felt following the comics would improve my understanding of Marvel films.  Until now, Marvel Studios didn't seem to require any information outside of the films themselves to feel complete.  Although, what you just explained may be revealed in subsequent films.

My first encounter with Thanos was in Guardians of the Galaxy, where he appeared to need death and destruction for it's own sake.  Now his actions are confusing.  Perhaps this is part of the evolution that Marvel is unfolding in film, as it may have previously done in comics.  I'll guess that most theater fans of Marvel, never paid attention to the comics.

Perhaps poor misunderstood anti-hero ... per Euripides.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 04, 2018, 06:47:06 AM
This might be the only situation where I felt following the comics would improve my understanding of Marvel films.  Until now, Marvel Studios didn't seem to require any information outside of the films themselves to feel complete.
Spiderman Homecoming assumed you know Spidey's backstory.  Given that his origin story is done to death, that's a safe assumption.  With Thanos, fans are less familiar, but the various Thanos-centric crossovers have been so popular that I'd say that *edited to avoid a deeply unfortunate choice of words* a sizeable proportion of Marvel fans know about him.

Cavebear

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 03, 2018, 09:40:05 AM
[spoiler]Dr. Strange died, and he can't control time without the time stone, which Thanos has. Prior to losing the stone, however, he looked at over six million possible futures and found one where they won. Before turning to ash, he says to Iron Man, "It was the only way." So somehow this bleak timeline leads to the best result.[/spoiler]

No one ever dies forever in the Marvel Universe... 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Gawdzilla Sama

If Thanos had been in control of the Great Dying, ALL of the Avengers would have been smoked.
PZ Myers