News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Finally watching Resident Evil: The Final One Or Whatever

There's a road sign that says "Raccoon City: 418 miles"  WAT.  I don't even see signs for Cary until I'm like 15 miles away.  (This is like me getting on I-95 in NC and immediately seeing a sign for NYC)

Suspension of disbelief has been broken.  Literally unwatchable.

Gawdzilla Sama

Verbatim copy of my review of "Resident Evil: The Final Chapter": "It wasn't."
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 21, 2018, 08:02:51 PM
Enjoy it while it lasts.  The mob can turn on you at any time.

Hmm I got so involved I forgot to eat dinner...  For a week.  I went from 170 to 164.  This is doing me some good.  So should I just stay online to 160. Or quit while I'm ahead and order a pizza and eat the while thing?  Or I could just suck up 3oz steak and keep going.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

Today I watched Maze Runner: The Death Cure.  It was actually really good.

Given the confusing and somewhat bad nature of the first two films, I didn't expect much.  But this one was relatively straightforward with good pacing, had good action scenes, decent (albeit flat) characters, most of the strangeness got explained, and the ending wrapped up everything in a pretty little bow.  I'm surprised, impressed even, by what they managed to accomplish with what they had to work with.

Still, I wouldn't watch it unless you've seen the other two already.  And if you didn't care for either of those, you probably won't like this one.

P.S. - when I saw this movie, I noticed that a couple of parents brought their kids.  Apparently, multiple parents thought a post-apocalyptic film where people get their faces bitten off by zombies is age-appropriate for little Timmy.  You guys know I'm not some moral guardian who goes into hysterics when there's a little blood or skin on the screen, but there's a time and a place for everything.  Please don't take 10ish-year-olds to violent as fuck movies.  It's PG-13 for a reason.

aitm

Who would have thought a comedy with Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones could possibly make the worse movie ever?  Just getting started? Lord i hope not.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on March 31, 2018, 08:50:02 AM
Who would have thought a comedy with Morgan Freeman and Tommy Lee Jones could possibly make the worse movie ever?  Just getting started? Lord i hope not.

the name of the movie is ... Just Getting Started ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lo5YcAYSVac

If you like the actors, you can get past anything else, right?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 31, 2018, 12:08:29 AM
Today I watched Maze Runner: The Death Cure.  It was actually really good.

Given the confusing and somewhat bad nature of the first two films, I didn't expect much.  But this one was relatively straightforward with good pacing, had good action scenes, decent (albeit flat) characters, most of the strangeness got explained, and the ending wrapped up everything in a pretty little bow.  I'm surprised, impressed even, by what they managed to accomplish with what they had to work with.

Still, I wouldn't watch it unless you've seen the other two already.  And if you didn't care for either of those, you probably won't like this one.

P.S. - when I saw this movie, I noticed that a couple of parents brought their kids.  Apparently, multiple parents thought a post-apocalyptic film where people get their faces bitten off by zombies is age-appropriate for little Timmy.  You guys know I'm not some moral guardian who goes into hysterics when there's a little blood or skin on the screen, but there's a time and a place for everything.  Please don't take 10ish-year-olds to violent as fuck movies.  It's PG-13 for a reason.

Little Timmie probably sees worse in his video games. 

Shiranu

Scott Pilgrim vs the World: 15/10. Seriously, this movie is just... amazing. Haven't watched it in years, so it's almost like watching it for the first time all over again...

*le sighs*

This video, as well as many others, explain what is so magical about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jEEk41W3DY

I really need to see Baby Driver, which is by the same director. And go back and rewatch Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Saw Star War Episode VII last night.  LOVED IT!  Possibly one of the best.

But how did they get Hillary Clinton to play the part of Princess Leia?

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on April 04, 2018, 10:06:00 PM
Scott Pilgrim vs the World: 15/10.
That seems a bit over enthusiastic.  Were you on something when you watched it?  That's how I reacted to Dr. Strange after I had a shot of Dexamethasone.  I thought the concept in Pilgrim was interesting, and I've seen the odd graphic visuals used later in other movies to good effect.  I'll give it a 7 for that, but the plot didn't excite me.  About the same time, a competing studio put out another low budget high school rock film, Bandslam, that was also embarrassingly cheesy, but a bit less artsy and more down to earth.  They both did equally well among the critics, but I'd give Bandslam a 9, even though it's embarrassing to admit that I actually liked it that much, even without the steroids.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on April 05, 2018, 03:04:37 AM
That seems a bit over enthusiastic.  Were you on something when you watched it?  That's how I reacted to Dr. Strange after I had a shot of Dexamethasone.  I thought the concept in Pilgrim was interesting, and I've seen the odd graphic visuals used later in other movies to good effect.  I'll give it a 7 for that, but the plot didn't excite me.  About the same time, a competing studio put out another low budget high school rock film, Bandslam, that was also embarrassingly cheesy, but a bit less artsy and more down to earth.  They both did equally well among the critics, but I'd give Bandslam a 9, even though it's embarrassing to admit that I actually liked it that much, even without the steroids.

No, I just thought the movie was very well done in the series.  Compared to other recent ones at least.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on April 05, 2018, 05:28:31 AM
No, I just thought the movie was very well done in the series.  Compared to other recent ones at least.

He wasn't quoting you.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

A Quiet Place 7/10  97% at RT

It's creepy, and well done, but not creepy enough for a 9.  I tend to disregard how well done a creepy movie is, and judge it only on how much it creeps me out.  As a side note, it stars Emily Blunt and John Krasinski (Jim from the Office), who also directed Quite Place.  I always liked that guy and wondered why he didn't do more in Hollywood.  Mostly he just picked up bit parts.  Maybe directing is his calling.  As an actor, he played a convincing role here, however.

caseagainstfaith

A Quiet Place.  7.5/10

I did enjoy it very much.  Yet, I do feel it is a bit overrated.  It's good, but, it's not THAT good.  Some things about the story don't seem to hold up to scrutiny.  But, it is good for some thrills and tension.  At least to me, I see it as a cross between Alien and Jurassic Park.  With what I would say is similar levels of tension to those films.  Given how scary it is purported to be, I was expecting it to be scarier than those.  I don't think it is scarier. But, not less scary than those either, about the same level.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

aitm

Last Flag Flying.
I liked it. A very realistic type of story whose characters are very relatable and their interaction is just uncomfortable enough to make it real. Bryan Cranston does a great job of annoying the hell out of you but his "place" in life is quite believable. Fishburne does a nice job of being the minister with  the old soldier simmering in the background. Steve Carroll, is okay. He does a nice job of being the despondent father and doesn't overact. He is simply too beat up to have assume any more than kind of asking for help and following but stands up when he needs too.

The correlations between Vietnam and Iraq are pointed out with all the obvious points so little is lost on the governments bull-shit. Not a movie if your in a light hearted mood or want to kill some time before you go off for the evening. Its a nice movie for a weekend afternoon on a cloudy day and you feel a little miserable. You will get a little lift out of it. But if your in a good mood it'll be a downer. I give it a 8.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust