News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aitm

I saw "The Greatest Showman" last night. S'okay. I am not much for musicals...not many can keep the pace of the film and offer the same amount of intensity as say, "West Side Story". This was like wiping a quarter of the windshield as you drive through the Grand Canyon,,,,one wonders what the life of PT Barnum was really like, for just the snippets was inspiring for what he did.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: aitm on March 18, 2018, 08:02:30 PM
one wonders what the life of PT Barnum was really like, for just the snippets was inspiring for what he did.
The logistics of putting together a circus of PT Barnum size and quality seem like they would be much more daunting than producing the Ed Sullivan Show.  I went to it as a kid.  We went to Soldiers Field in Chicago as they were setting up the equipment early in the day.  Elephants took peanuts from my hand by snorkeling them up their trunk.  They actually touched my hand and the peanuts disappeared up their noses like they went up a vacuum cleaner. We returned later for the performance.  I was very little, and it's a very early memory.  There was too much going on for me to keep track of it all.  A couple years later, another circus outfit came to Chicago, but it was performed on a stage indoors.  By comparison, that one seemed like a gyp.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Cavebear on March 17, 2018, 10:29:34 PM
Are you, by any chance, talking about something like a left handed smoke shifter or a left-handed monkey wrench?
Consider acetylene.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: aitm on March 18, 2018, 08:02:30 PM
I saw "The Greatest Showman" last night. S'okay. I am not much for musicals...not many can keep the pace of the film and offer the same amount of intensity as say, "West Side Story". This was like wiping a quarter of the windshield as you drive through the Grand Canyon,,,,one wonders what the life of PT Barnum was really like, for just the snippets was inspiring for what he did.

Saw a good dramatic biography of him.  He invented a lot of media we enjoy today, including the press conference.  But he was a great con artist too ... just like Buffalo Bill.

Got to see Barnum & Bailey twice.  Once as a 9 year old with my grandfather, and once with my wife and 3 year old daughter.  Great times.  History buries everything it seems.  Both were performed in big arenas with roofs ... the big tent was from an earlier generation, when the circus came to town by train.

https://www.ringling.com/timeline.html

Notice, it died as soon as a woman ringmaster appeared?  Why?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on March 18, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
Notice, it died as soon as a woman ringmaster appeared?  Why?
I doubt that ringmaster gender had anything to do with it.  Circuses were on the way out.  Half the animals they used were endangered, and toward the end, they didn't even have elephants.  Americans were seeking out new entertainment like monster truck rallies, NCAA, and Disneyland, and NASCAR.  Your kid is not going to pester you to take him to the circus while he's playing his X Box.  All good ideas end sometime.  The circus just went the way of Kodak film, an even better idea than the circus itself.  A woman ringmaster was more probably a last ditch effort to save a dying industry whose time was coming to an end.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on March 19, 2018, 07:49:45 AM
I doubt that ringmaster gender had anything to do with it.  Circuses were on the way out.  Half the animals they used were endangered, and toward the end, they didn't even have elephants.  Americans were seeking out new entertainment like monster truck rallies, NCAA, and Disneyland, and NASCAR.  Your kid is not going to pester you to take him to the circus while he's playing his X Box.  All good ideas end sometime.  The circus just went the way of Kodak film, an even better idea than the circus itself.  A woman ringmaster was more probably a last ditch effort to save a dying industry whose time was coming to an end.

Yes, republics and democracies ... ideas of yesteryear, past their due date.  Well they should have put a Black Hispanic Tranie in there ;-)

My daughter was too young for video games, when we took her to the circus.  Same as when we took her to Barnie the Dinosaur on Ice.  We aren't talking 12 year olds here.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 19, 2018, 07:49:45 AM

Baruch doesn't actually think that a female ringmaster had anything to do with it.  He just finds side-stuff to throw into the argument.  He just plays with you.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on March 20, 2018, 07:59:16 AM
Baruch doesn't actually think that a female ringmaster had anything to do with it.  He just finds side-stuff to throw into the argument.  He just plays with you.
I know, I know, and I know that he knows.  But some things are just too absurd not to deserve a comment, even when it's obvious that he's just trolling the forum.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on March 20, 2018, 08:58:57 AM
I know, I know, and I know that he knows.  But some things are just too absurd not to deserve a comment, even when it's obvious that he's just trolling the forum.

I finally got him on "ignore" (thank you wolf) and choose to look at only a few comments (when I see a quote) and choose to reply to fewer,  things are seeming better here the less I see of him.

Baruch

Ah, but I can still see you, not seeing me ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

So no more Baruch v Cavebear? That kinda sucks.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2018, 01:09:43 PM
So no more Baruch v Cavebear? That kinda sucks.

Well, maybe you should have told me you liked it before!  But know, for right now, I don't feel like wasting my time on his meaningless jokes that never apply to a topic being discussed.

Munch

I liked to imagine Baruch in a Victorian suit with ruffles and you as just a bear in hot air balloons fencing over the edge.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on March 20, 2018, 03:51:30 PM
I liked to imagine Baruch in a Victorian suit with ruffles and you as just a bear in hot air balloons fencing over the edge.

Cavebear is in a tutu, on a unicycle, with a flat tire.  I will still comment on him, if he ever deserves any notice beyond his endless ego grooming.

I rather like the sartorial splendor of Oscar Wilde.

The Importance of Being Earnest ... is a meta-commentary on the Internet digerati, a century early.

The verdict against Count Dankula also comes to mind.  Offensive speech laws, indeed!  England's present Queen made a Nazi salute in her childhood.

But really, John Pertwee was my favorite Dr Who, and favorite car.  Tom Baker had Victorian charm too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on March 20, 2018, 07:06:04 PM
Cavebear is in a tutu, on a unicycle, with a flat tire.  I will still comment on him, if he ever deserves any notice beyond his endless ego grooming.

I rather like the sartorial splendor of Oscar Wilde.

The Importance of Being Earnest ... is a meta-commentary on the Internet digerati, a century early.

The verdict against Count Dankula also comes to mind.  Offensive speech laws, indeed!  England's present Queen made a Nazi salute in her childhood.

But really, John Pertwee was my favorite Dr Who, and favorite car.  Tom Baker had Victorian charm too.

you know in context to that this does make this whole thing all the more hilarious, in a 'what the fuck is happening to this land' kind of funny. Back then nobody knew the full implications of the salute, it wasn't just her doing it either.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/20/queens-nazi-salute-a-sign-of-ignorance-shared-by-many-in-scary-times

No one knew the full extent of evil forming there, but now everyone knows the symbol of the gesture. This is why it can be used in such method as offense, to get a reaction, the same as folding up a middle finger.

That said, I dunno who would seek to arrest someone for holding up a middle finger.