News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2018, 12:28:48 PM
When I saw the trailer for Annihilation, I loved the premise.  There's some crazy anomaly - this shimmering field and everything inside the field is strange; physics don't physics, life is bizarre, etc.  Nothing makes sense.  The mystery of it all is incredibly fascinating.

Then, it's a straight up action film set 2 minutes to doomsday.  I mean, why have a mystery when you can have When Animals Attack: Mutated Alligator edition, amirite?  *overwhelming disappointment*

The movie reminds me of Sphere except even more poorly written.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I had a pretty intensely negative first impression which is such a shame because I think that the mysterious anomaly premise (sans mutated alligator) has a lot of premise.
Things happen during the action, but it's pretty generic stuff, just attacks that must be repelled.  It seems like the shimmer part could have been developed into something more.  It does give a quick clue at the end to ponder, but it wasn't very satisfying.  It just left me with a, "Well, OK then," and I walked out.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 24, 2018, 01:21:53 PM
Things happen during the action, but it's pretty generic stuff, just attacks that must be repelled.  It seems like the shimmer part could have been developed into something more.  It does give a quick clue at the end to ponder, but it wasn't very satisfying.  It just left me with a, "Well, OK then," and I walked out.

A reviewer on radio said it was a rather well done movie, and liked the female cast as strong characters.  I look forward to a day when that doesn't seem important.  But until then, let's have more movies with strong characters  of groups who have been ignored too long.

This might turn out to be a good Century...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 25, 2018, 11:25:58 AM
A reviewer on radio said it was a rather well done movie, and liked the female cast as strong characters.  I look forward to a day when that doesn't seem important.  But until then, let's have more movies with strong characters  of groups who have been ignored too long.

This might turn out to be a good Century...
The gals were tough enough, to be sure, but part of the influence of being in the shimmer was that they start to lose their minds, as do the men, and if I remember right, there was only one survivor.  Still they were strong women.  I'm a little puzzled about the good reviews overall.  I'm wondering what I missed.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 25, 2018, 12:16:25 PM
The gals were tough enough, to be sure, but part of the influence of being in the shimmer was that they start to lose their minds, as do the men, and if I remember right, there was only one survivor.  Still they were strong women.  I'm a little puzzled about the good reviews overall.  I'm wondering what I missed.

I haven't seen the movie yet.  Going theoretical from the reviews...

SGOS

Game Night 6/10
Compared to the usual Hollywood comedies, it's better than average.  I actually laughed a few times, but not like the guy behind me.  I wondered if he was laughing so loud because he thought he was expected to or because he actually thought it was funny.  The audience would laugh at jokes, but over the din, there was always this guy, out-laughing everyone else.  I had to resist the urge to turn around and look at him to see if he looked weird.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 28, 2018, 05:33:23 AM
Game Night 6/10
Compared to the usual Hollywood comedies, it's better than average.  I actually laughed a few times, but not like the guy behind me.  I wondered if he was laughing so loud because he thought he was expected to or because he actually thought it was funny.  The audience would laugh at jokes, but over the din, there was always this guy, out-laughing everyone else.  I had to resist the urge to turn around and look at him to see if he looked weird.

There is always someone at any movie who manages to ruin the experience.  That is one reason I stopped going.  Another was teenagers running around .  The theater owner apologized too many times.  He was afraid to confront them.  A 3rd reason was just general uncleanliness in the theater. 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 08:24:48 AM
There is always someone at any movie who manages to ruin the experience.  That is one reason I stopped going.  Another was teenagers running around .  The theater owner apologized too many times.  He was afraid to confront them.  A 3rd reason was just general uncleanliness in the theater. 
There are two clean and well run theaters about 40 miles from my house where I go.  There are a couple dumps like you describe closer.  I've been to each one once.  They are depressing to me, and very poorly attended.

trdsf

The only time I go to theaters anymore is to see Fritz the Nite Owl or The Mads Are Back.  If it's a movie by itself that I want to see, I'll wait until it's on DVD or Netflix.  I don't do large groups of people if I can avoid it.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Baruch

Teenagers are feral, there is a reason why they used to be "invited" to join the colonial armies/navies.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 28, 2018, 10:34:44 AM
There are two clean and well run theaters about 40 miles from my house where I go.  There are a couple dumps like you describe closer.  I've been to each one once.  They are depressing to me, and very poorly attended.

Not 40 miles from HERE, sadly.  The one around here is  trsh dump.  And they can't figure out why no adults attend...

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 28, 2018, 02:18:08 PM
Teenagers are feral, there is a reason why they used to be "invited" to join the colonial armies/navies.

Well *I* remember what it was like to hormone-driven and non-pre-frontal brain-addled.  I used to just wait until they wanted jobs.  Now I don't even have to do THAT much.  I just let them shovel my driveway of snow for what they consider ungodly amounts of money that I just laugh at.

Hey, I used to do that myself.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 24, 2018, 12:28:48 PM
When I saw the trailer for Annihilation, I loved the premise.  There's some crazy anomaly - this shimmering field and everything inside the field is strange; physics don't physics, life is bizarre, etc.  Nothing makes sense.  The mystery of it all is incredibly fascinating.
Yep, "Stranger Things" Season One.

Then, it's a straight up action film set 2 minutes to doomsday. 
Then everything that wasn't "Stranger Things" Season One.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Admittedly, I could really go for Stranger Things: The Movie

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 28, 2018, 06:26:18 PM
Admittedly, I could really go for Stranger Things: The Movie

Never saw it...

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 28, 2018, 03:22:53 PM
Not 40 miles from HERE, sadly.  The one around here is  trsh dump.  And they can't figure out why no adults attend...

You needn't go unless you have a skanky girlfriend ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.