News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Edit - Not going to give a long response actually, because it doesn't need one.

Ultimately, the problem here is this; they have a world view that is different than yours, and have very different life experiences that cause him to be a relatable character for different reasons than you. That doesn't mean they are wrong just because they find more meaning in his character where you don't.

You have the luxury of viewing African Americans in media in a way they don't, because African Americans in media do not represent you like they do them. For African Americans, he represents something that they have never really had; a character who transcends the "good guy"/"criminal" black man archtype, and is instead is just a human character... and is presented on a scale that no African American has ever reached before. I know you keep on bringing up "Blade", but that movie is at best a B-film in comparison to the size and cultural relevance of Black Panther.

To go to your MLK hyperbole, Black Panther would be MLK and Blade would be Anna Arnold Hedgeman, or T'Challa Rosa Parks and Irene Morgan Kirklady.... both Anna Hedgeman and Ms. Kirklady were pioneers, but they are nowhere near as culturally relevant or who's actions spread so far as MLK and Parks. Same for BP and Blade.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Just saw it as well. While I enjoyed it, I was disappointed that I thought it would inspire more, but perhaps it did for black kids. My daughters boyfriend did not seem all that impressed with it, though I think maybe he intentionally downplayed any excitement for it for whatever reason he may have.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: aitm on February 18, 2018, 07:34:35 PM
Just saw it as well. While I enjoyed it, I was disappointed that I thought it would inspire more, but perhaps it did for black kids. My daughters boyfriend did not seem all that impressed with it, though I think maybe he intentionally downplayed any excitement for it for whatever reason he may have.

or, you know, maybe they managed to ignore the hype and just tried to watch the movie as it was intended, as a super hero movie and not some overt political piece people are making it out to be.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2018, 08:29:25 PM
or, you know, maybe they managed to ignore the hype and just tried to watch the view as it was intended, as a super hero movie and not some overt political piece people are making it out to be.
meh..potato potahto.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

caseagainstfaith

Wow, I really haven't been around much lately!  Baruch is an Ubermensch and I don't even know who he/she is!

I generally watch the majority of superhero movies that come out, though I miss some.  I generally think of them as short-term entertainment.  Okay for a 2-hour diversion but ultimately usually very forgettable.

I get why a lot of people like Black Panther.  It is different.  Its use of African themes and a mostly black cast is certainly unusual in a big-budget superhero film. The villain is better than most, he has legitimate sympathetic motivations.  But, how did I actually like the movie? Well, it was "just okay".  At least to me.

But I also totally get that other people love it, and that's great.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on February 18, 2018, 09:13:59 PM
Wow, I really haven't been around much lately!  Baruch is an Ubermensch and I don't even know who he/she is!

I generally watch the majority of superhero movies that come out, though I miss some.  I generally think of them as short-term entertainment.  Okay for a 2-hour diversion but ultimately usually very forgettable.

I get why a lot of people like Black Panther.  It is different.  Its use of African themes and a mostly black cast is certainly unusual in a big-budget superhero film. The villain is better than most, he has legitimate sympathetic motivations.  But, how did I actually like the movie? Well, it was "just okay".  At least to me.

Yes, as soon as I crossed 20,000 posts, the same day, Atheistforums.com crashed!  That is some superpower!  BTW ... you don't have to be a Jewish demigod to be an Ubermensch ... just a demigod.  Shiranu is a demigod too.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on February 18, 2018, 09:13:59 PM

First of, welcome back :).

Second of, I'll totally agree with all of that, even that the film wasn't, from a strictly cinematic viewpoint, the greatest thing since sliced bread.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2018, 03:12:56 PM
War Machine would take extreme exception to being called a sidekick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643gjMMQXFo

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Shiranu on February 18, 2018, 09:56:40 PM
First of, welcome back :).

Thanks.  I really haven't been motivated to participate heavily in forums of late.  But, I do, from time to time, read or post movie reviews here.  That is about all I have done on this forum for several years now.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 18, 2018, 10:26:30 PM
War Machine would take extreme exception to being called a sidekick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=643gjMMQXFo

Meh. He's Iron Man, but with different colors. He's basically to Iron Man what Robin is to Batman. Coincidentally, Iron Man also has a Batgirl in the form of Ironheart.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

So I just realised Cage is an ex-convict...

I'm sorry, but your Cage being a badass comment is irrelevant... he is still a walking stereotype then, and has every reason to be considered one.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on February 18, 2018, 11:43:27 PMMeh. He's Iron Man, but with different colors. He's basically to Iron Man what Robin is to Batman.
Don't judge a book by its cover.  Physically, they're just palette swaps.  But personality-wise, Rodney is VERY different from Stark.

Rodney is a lot more interventionist, more militant (the name is a dead giveaway), less future-oriented and more now-oriented, more realistic and less idealistic, etc.  War Machine's more likely to go in guns blazing, while Iron Man is more likely to initially taunt his opponent and put up a token fight while finding then exploiting a weakness to secure a win.  Also, Rodney isn't a tech genius like Stark, but he has more of a warrior's bearing.  The pair is the perfect red oni, blue oni.  You could even say that their differences are pretty Stark, hehe.

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 19, 2018, 12:08:20 AM
So I just realised Cage is an ex-convict...

I'm sorry, but your Cage being a badass comment is irrelevant... he is still a walking stereotype then, and has every reason to be considered one.

Back when the x-men were at their height, wolverine was one of the most popular characters, even having toys, games, soft toys and costumes of the character made for children.

Wanna know what he did a lot of?

Your excuses for why Luke cage wouldn't be a good role model is just reaching when a writer would simply rework the character origins like they do every interpretation of the characters

Know who else was an ex-criminal? Rogue, Storm, deadpool, gambit, black widow, Hawkeye, characters reform and turn good, its called giving them depth. Oh but 'A BLACK EX-CON, SUCH A STEREOTUPE' is apparently the bar for you.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on February 18, 2018, 03:12:56 PM

This to me is complete twoddle. In order to hype this one up they now need to downplay other black heroes to make black panther seem more relevant?

I enjoyed blade, Luke Cage us a great character and very relatable. I find them on the same level as the x-men or spiderman, grounded characters.
T'challa the prince of an extremely wealthy nation that ignores the rest of the world including the rest of africa with starvation and disease, oh yes, THATS a relatable character!

Wow.  That makes a lot of sense.  I used to read the Marvel comics and thought he seemed to just pop out of no where.

Has he ever dealt with racial inequality? nope, he's a prince in a closed off nation. Has he ever dealt with the hardships of being a mutant in the marvel universe? See first. Hell even Thor, the prince of Asgard, was more relatable because he was cast down from asgard and had to live like a mortal, the struggles of being powerless and growing up from a man-child to an adult.

I mean if we're at this stage we need to push aside other black figures, hey, fuck martin luther king, he's old news!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

QuoteWanna know what he did a lot of?

Yeah... he is also white, who (spoiler alert) aren't portrayed as criminals or bad guys or ex-bad guys 95% of the time.