News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 09:28:31 AM
Ack!  I LIKE Adam.  Don't tell me he ruins the moon landing... 

Actually, today, it could be very well faked.  But not then.  We have to remember the technology differences between 1969 and today.

Actually, the video tells all the reasons why faking the moon landing would have been impractical. It literally would have taken more effort and money to fake than to do it for real.

And for fuck sake, people. It's a less than five minute clip, and it's an entertaining show. Are you seriously that opposed to watching any video that is shared here?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on February 13, 2018, 11:42:58 AM
Actually, it was a better than average video, I thought.

Well, I have not seen that episode, but based on his past history of successful "ruins", if he has a topic it means he is going to prove it is fake.  Since I doubt he can in this case, it sets up a cognitive dissonance...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Blackleaf

Quote from: Cavebear on February 13, 2018, 01:19:15 PM
Well, I have not seen that episode, but based on his past history of successful "ruins", if he has a topic it means he is going to prove it is fake.  Since I doubt he can in this case, it sets up a cognitive dissonance...

In this case, he's ruining the arguments of people who want to believe that the moon landing was fake. For example, in order to simulate the appearance of distant sunlight, they would have had to create brand new white color laser technology, spend a ton of money stacking thousands of those lasers close together, and then keep that technology secret for decades. It would have literally cost them more money to do that than to build a rocket and go to the moon.
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

You know how, "The Dark Knight" trilogy transcended superhero movies and became their own works of art?

Yeah, "Black Panther" does that. It is a superhero movie in dress only; it's core is a story of the rise of a king and a celebration of African culture as well as recognition of the darkness that has surrounded it (and not always from "the white man" but from within as well).

It's just a great movie. Ranking it seems pointless, because it's not in the same genre as regular movies. The biggest criticism of it I have is that it could have been even better, but in terms of it doing anything poorly... cant say I have any.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Black Panther 9/10

When I create a list of the essential ingredients used by Hollywood to make an origin story for a superhero movie, Marvel has those covered in this one, but it still doesn't strike me as a typical origin story.  Maybe the elements are a softer sell this time around, and IMO this is a good thing.  With the volume of Superhero movies suddenly thrust on us, I have wondered when they would finally start to create a fatigue.  The Black Panther premise adds a new dimension that results in a very entertaining story.  And while the Panther leaps, springs, and pounces his way about the movie, his real talent, hidden from the public and the media, is an awesome and unsuspected power that will no doubt come to bear when he joins the rest of the Avengers.

I've noticed several user reviews that tried to bring race into the discussion, but honestly, I didn't think about race while watching.  It's like you have to look for it if you want to make it an issue, except for a two minute speech where Marvel interrupts the final credits to foreshadow the next film, and that speech was much too subtle to be anything other than a heart warming optimism about mankind.  Marvel just wants to make fun films that please audiences, and they nailed that yet again with an unusually charming and surprising well thought out story.

Draconic Aiur

7/10
Black Panther

It felt it was missing something. Rotten tomatoes says its better than the Avenger witch is bull crap.

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 16, 2018, 09:10:00 PM
7/10
Black Panther
It felt it was missing something. Rotten tomatoes says its better than the Avenger witch is bull crap.
It's hard to beat the Avengers the way the characters get to play off each other.  But it can't be all about the Avengers or it would eventually tend to wear thin.  Better than the Avengers?  Perhaps just on the tomato meter.  I wouldn't make that claim personally.  But some will.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: SGOS on February 16, 2018, 09:40:24 PM
It's hard to beat the Avengers the way the characters get to play off each other.  But it can't be all about the Avengers or it would eventually tend to wear thin.  Better than the Avengers?  Perhaps just on the tomato meter.  I wouldn't make that claim personally.  But some will.

Captain America as rated poorer than both which is odd because it was my favorite Marvel movie

Sal1981

Death Note - 7/10

I was entertained. Haven't watched any of the anime it's based on.

Hydra009

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 16, 2018, 10:03:05 PM
Death Note - 7/10

The anime is 1000 times better.  It becomes this great cat-and-mouse between killer and cops, with plenty of twists and complications.  JUST AS PLANNED.

SGOS

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on February 16, 2018, 09:54:08 PM
Captain America as rated poorer than both which is odd because it was my favorite Marvel movie
At best, I only draw very general conclusions from those composite scores.  It does do a good job at pointing out that even among top critics there is going to be differences in tastes.  While 98% is unusually high for Panther, there is no guarantee that everyone is going to follow the critics lead and score it above 70%.  I do get a kick out of watching myself disagree with the tomato meter from time to time.  And when it comes to Star Wars, I have totally given up trying to understand what drives the tomato meter so high.  I just don't get it.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Sal1981 on February 16, 2018, 10:03:05 PM
Death Note - 7/10

The anime was a lot more clever. The movie is an action film, while the anime is more of a battle of wits between two super intelligent people. I honestly think a lot of people would have liked the movie better if it were a sequel to the anime, rather than a retelling. Besides Ryuk, the characters are nothing like their original counterparts.
--Fulke Greville--

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 16, 2018, 10:10:42 PM
The anime is 1000 times better.  It becomes this great cat-and-mouse between killer and cops, with plenty of twists and complications.  JUST AS PLANNED.

The great thing about the anime is that you can't tell which is the cat and which is the mouse. They both think they have the upper hand on the other. One of the things L acknowledges himself is that he and Light have a lot in common. They enjoy their competition, and they're both arrogantly confident they will win over the other.
--Fulke Greville--

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: SGOS on February 16, 2018, 10:20:15 PM
At best, I only draw very general conclusions from those composite scores.  It does do a good job at pointing out that even among top critics there is going to be differences in tastes.  While 98% is unusually high for Panther, there is no guarantee that everyone is going to follow the critics lead and score it above 70%.  I do get a kick out of watching myself disagree with the tomato meter from time to time.  And when it comes to Star Wars, I have totally given up trying to understand what drives the tomato meter so high.  I just don't get it.

Political Propaganda.

I cant find one damn okay review without people telling me its the best thing ever. Thats super shady.

Munch

This to me is complete twoddle. In order to hype this one up they now need to downplay other black heroes to make black panther seem more relevant?

I enjoyed blade, Luke Cage us a great character and very relatable. I find them on the same level as the x-men or spiderman, grounded characters.
T'challa the prince of an extremely wealthy nation that ignores the rest of the world including the rest of africa with starvation and disease, oh yes, THATS a relatable character!

Has he ever dealt with racial inequality? nope, he's a prince in a closed off nation. Has he ever dealt with the hardships of being a mutant in the marvel universe? See first. Hell even Thor, the prince of Asgard, was more relatable because he was cast down from asgard and had to live like a mortal, the struggles of being powerless and growing up from a man-child to an adult.

I mean if we're at this stage we need to push aside other black figures, hey, fuck martin luther king, he's old news!
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin