News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I've now watched Blade Runner 2049 five times.  After figuring out the plot, I'm now picking up on a lot of things I missed the previous times.  I wouldn't have said this after the first or second watching, but it's a very well constructed story.  The first time around I found it hard to follow, but the script is filled throughout with little seeds of premonition that don't seem directly related to the story on the first viewing because you don't know the ending.  I also completely missed some rather obvious things, too.  I've been a little slow on the uptake, I guess.  There are also distractions that don't need to be there, but they do create a lot of interest that I initially focused on.  Things like the new technologies that had come along since 2020, and I love the cityscapes that use humongous holograms like billboards that Hollywood introduced with Ghost in the Shell.  The movie doesn't rely on a fast pace, and actually seems slow at times, but something related to the storyline is always happening.

I've watched the original more times than I could possibly count.  Blade Runner, both the original and the sequel are good science fiction, the original being one of my all time favorites.  Oddly, I wasn't impressed by the base short story, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  The premise was fantastic, but the movie improved on the delivery by leaps and bounds.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on January 27, 2018, 04:51:35 PM
Gravity was well directed, had me shit my pants about once a minute.  I once had a payload on the Shuttle (a project engineer in a big team).

Dr Strange is great.

Forgive me, but...

Since you SAID you "shit in your pants" I worry about your payload on the shuttle.  ;)

OK...  Actually, I'm impressed.  What was it?  That deserves some kudos.

And, also, thanks about the good review on Dr Strange...  I may pay to watch a movie for once.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 02, 2018, 03:08:05 PM
Forgive me, but...

Since you SAID you "shit in your pants" I worry about your payload on the shuttle.  ;)

OK...  Actually, I'm impressed.  What was it?  That deserves some kudos.

And, also, thanks about the good review on Dr Strange...  I may pay to watch a movie for once.

Sorry, can't say.  DoD.  I did have a Shuttle simulation that I ran on my Fat Mac ... could see that orbital mechanics was a bitch, particularly if you were on a space walk ;-(
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hakurei Reimu

Warning: Don't Tease The Miko!
(she bites!)
Spinny Miko Avatar shamelessly ripped off from Iosys' Neko Miko Reimu

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on February 02, 2018, 11:43:48 AM
I've now watched Blade Runner 2049 five times.  After figuring out the plot, I'm now picking up on a lot of things I missed the previous times.  I wouldn't have said this after the first or second watching, but it's a very well constructed story.  The first time around I found it hard to follow, but the script is filled throughout with little seeds of premonition that don't seem directly related to the story on the first viewing because you don't know the ending.  I also completely missed some rather obvious things, too.  I've been a little slow on the uptake, I guess.  There are also distractions that don't need to be there, but they do create a lot of interest that I initially focused on.  Things like the new technologies that had come along since 2020, and I love the cityscapes that use humongous holograms like billboards that Hollywood introduced with Ghost in the Shell.  The movie doesn't rely on a fast pace, and actually seems slow at times, but something related to the storyline is always happening.

I've watched the original more times than I could possibly count.  Blade Runner, both the original and the sequel are good science fiction, the original being one of my all time favorites.  Oddly, I wasn't impressed by the base short story, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?  The premise was fantastic, but the movie improved on the delivery by leaps and bounds.

Thank god I'm not the only person who liked the new Blade Runner. If I had a dollar for every time everyone told me, "eww, that movie sucked, there was no action!"...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Valerian and the Movie of a Thousand Disappointments 5/10

I really wanted to like this one

It tried so hard to be Fifth Element, but ultimately failed.

The immediate problem is that the main character, Valerian, is unlikable and has an extremely annoying voice (it's like an auditory version of punchable faces).  His partner (I forget her name) has a similar but less intense problem.

When we're introduced to them, we're told that they're both badasses who achieve practically impossible tasks with no sweat before we ever see any of that.  So they just come off as arrogant pricks instead.

The second problem is that they're supposed to be in love but they have hangups that they have to get over before they can really connect.  But like the above, we don't really see either their love or their hangups so it falls flat.  Sense a theme yet?

I feel bad for reviewing the movie so poorly because I can tell that a lot of love went into the alien races and sets.  But this movie just hammers the audience with exposition dumps that alternatively fascinated and bored me.

TL;DR This movie was beautiful, but it had all kinds of pacing issues, characterization issues, and show-don't-tell issues that made me dislike it.  It should've been a great movie, but it was mediobad instead.  Shame.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on February 02, 2018, 09:32:51 PM
Thank god I'm not the only person who liked the new Blade Runner. If I had a dollar for every time everyone told me, "eww, that movie sucked, there was no action!"...
There probably wasn't enough action to satisfy what the usual movie goer has been trained to expect.  But Blade Runner was punctuated with it here and there.  Like the original, that inspired a series of discussion groups to spring up in larger cities, it involves a lot of unraveling, which some people enjoy.  But I did wonder when I saw it the first time, how the box office crowds would respond to that kind of film.  It might be too different from the modern format.

But if it had been speeded up with more action, it might seem like a different movie, rather than an attempt to capture the feeling of the original.  There was a discussion here months before the movie was released, where people were wondering if it would be as worthy as the first.  At that time, I assumed it wouldn't because Hollywood would present it using a Marvel format, and we would end up with a movie that didn't capture the essence that made the first one so good or even what makes the Marvel films as good as they are.

Munch

Saw the my little pony the movie, since my brother got ahold of a copy for his kids, and decided to check it out.

It was.. alright, as a kids movie it was okay, it had some good parts to it. The best character in the movie to me was pinkie pie, she had the same kinetic energy she does in the main series, and some of her parts did give me some laugh out loud moments. The art style was nice, some of the backdrops were pretty good, and the music had a nice score to it. Also the voice acting was pretty good, with an exception.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0vLd9McKE0

However, this one's got some problems that made it more tolerable then likable.  For one thing the main character designs just seems far to cutesy compared to the main show, like the main characters were several years younger then there show counterparts. The main show made them seem more like young adults while this made them seem like young teenagers.
The voice acting, while good, it had this annoying pacing in the movie that was reflected heavily in the script, characters seeming to take long pauses that made the dialog seem more awkward then anything.
Also, the main villains in the story were just terrible. tempest just seemed like a starlight glimmer knockoff with her cut and paste backstory, and her 'I'm edgy' character got tiring after a while. The storm king was just goofy and childish, making him less then intimidating. This movie did do something different though, instead of like the main characters having an annoying sidekick on the heroes side, like Snarf or Orko or scrappy doo, this movie had an annoying sidekick for the villain, some stupid little hedgehog bastard (whos name I don't care to remember) who didn't add anything to the story and was just an annoyance everytime he was on screen, I just wanted to see the little bastard get impaled on a unicorn horn.

Overall it was alright, I felt the movie lacked some of the fast paced humor the show is known for, and the pauses in dialog was kind of cringey, but for a kids movie about the show it wasn't bad.

7/10

Edit: One thing that I realized too, they had a reference to discord in the movie, and he was in the end credits, but not in the movie itself. This didn't make sense, since seeing in the main show, every time fluttershy was in some bad situation, discord would step up to save her, so you'd think with her life under threat from an invading tyrant, he'd step up and use it chaos magic to end the villain? Guess the writers decided against that otherwise the movie be over in a second.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on February 02, 2018, 09:46:36 PMHis partner (I forget her name) has a similar but less intense problem.
Just call her "Harley Quinn".
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Shiranu

Black panther early reviews are in... and it is slaying. I have tried so hard not to get hyped, but good God Damn it all I'm so hyped!
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on February 06, 2018, 03:22:21 PM
Black panther early reviews are in... and it is slaying. I have tried so hard not to get hyped, but good God Damn it all I'm so hyped!
Me too.  I've heard that Michonne is great in this movie.

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on February 06, 2018, 03:22:21 PM

Yeah, looks good.  Black ... is beautiful.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 02, 2018, 07:55:29 PM
Sorry, can't say.  DoD.  I did have a Shuttle simulation that I ran on my Fat Mac ... could see that orbital mechanics was a bitch, particularly if you were on a space walk ;-(

I may have played one of the first "games" on a computer.  A friend had a moon landing simulation in the 70s and in his "friendly version" you had to land softly (with a lot of allowance).  Everyone crashed.  I got to play it a few times.  I crashed, too.  But most made a crater.  I got so I could "only" destroy the lander.  The guy was impressed.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on February 06, 2018, 10:49:46 PM
I may have played one of the first "games" on a computer.  A friend had a moon landing simulation in the 70s and in his "friendly version" you had to land softly (with a lot of allowance).  Everyone crashed.  I got to play it a few times.  I crashed, too.  But most made a crater.  I got so I could "only" destroy the lander.  The guy was impressed.

Heard about that one.  Yes, took a real screw-up crazy like Armstrong to land that thing.  Overly rational people don't do well with orbital mechanics or 1/6 G ... because it doesn't make sense relative to normal experience.  I have a little quad-copter I got myself for Christmas.  Can't fly straight at all.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.