News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Saw Last Jedi.  It was good in the traditional Star Wars way.  A lot of action, not too many major characters killed off.  But Rogue One was atypical ... basically everyone died.  No hope in that, which is the whole mantra of The Resistance.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Blackleaf

I absolutely loved The Last Jedi. I don't see what makes some fans so upset. Was it because their precious Luke Skywalker wasn't a flawless hero, that he actually had *gasp* a personality? People in the theater seemed impressed. They erupted in applause at least three times that I can recall (not counting the end credits).

EDIT: Do fans forget that Luke Skywalker had flaws in the original trilogy? He was tempted by the Dark Side, and showed signs that he might turn in Episode V.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 17, 2017, 05:42:20 PM
I absolutely loved The Last Jedi. I don't see what makes some fans so upset. Was it because their precious Luke Skywalker wasn't a flawless hero, that he actually had *gasp* a personality? People in the theater seemed impressed. They erupted in applause at least three times that I can recall (not counting the end credits).

EDIT: Do fans forget that Luke Skywalker had flaws in the original trilogy? He was tempted by the Dark Side, and showed signs that he might turn in Episode V.

It was a rather PC script.  Some people don't like any heroines ... but they are stupid.  Stereotypical masculine leadership isn't the best thing in all circumstances.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 17, 2017, 05:42:20 PMWas it because their precious Luke Skywalker wasn't a flawless hero, that he actually had *gasp* a personality?
Spoilers!

QuoteEDIT: Do fans forget that Luke Skywalker had flaws in the original trilogy? He was tempted by the Dark Side, and showed signs that he might turn in Episode V.
He was kind of an asshole in A New Hope.  "I used to bullseye wamp rats in my T-16 back home" to a trained, perhaps veteran, pilot.  1) He headshotted rats for fun. 2) He brags about it to an actual soldier in the middle of a war, implying that the soldier is a poor marksman.  Oy vey.

Luke was also kind of a naive, impressionable youngster.  Then he was all kinds of messed up in The Empire Strikes Back.  But he seemed to have finally found himself by the beginning of Return of the Jedi.  His holographic overtures to Jabba seem very authoritative.  Sure, he might've let anger get the better of him for a moment, but it was only a moment.  By the time the film ends, he seems almost completely at peace, despite inhaling Vader ashes not far from a battlefield.

He had a nice character arc that seemed to end at some sort of self-actualization.  So yeah, fans could be forgiven for mistakenly believing that Luke would've been on top of his game after the Battle of Endor.

Mr.Obvious

I really liked The last Jedi. Funny yet dark and Well filmed.

[spoiler]only thing that was weird was the inclusion of Maz. Poe didn't interact with her in the previous flick and Finn met her once. She was funny in her one scene, but it felt kind of like fanservice.[/spoiler]

I also like The fightstyle of these new flicks. The prequels had flashy lightsaber fights, but The  ones in these neder flicks feel grittier and more realistic.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on December 18, 2017, 05:03:22 AM
I really liked The last Jedi. Funny yet dark and Well filmed.

[spoiler]only thing that was weird was the inclusion of Maz. Poe didn't interact with her in the previous flick and Finn met her once. She was funny in her one scene, but it felt kind of like fanservice.[\spoiler]

I also like The fightstyle of these new flicks. The prequels had flashy lightsaber fights, but The  ones in these neder flicks feel grittier and more realistic.

As usual, I will wait for the movie to come on free cable TV.  I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Strange soon.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Blackleaf on December 17, 2017, 05:42:20 PM
I absolutely loved The Last Jedi. I don't see what makes some fans so upset.

Well, I loved it too. But, after reading some of the fan's criticisms, well, I think they do have merit, to varying degrees. Though I think all SW movies have flaws.  I could nitpick the original trilogy if I wanted to, but they are still fine entertainment. That said, I do think some of the criticisms have some merit.  Or at least I can see why they didn't like some things.

[spoiler]
1.  Ray went down into the dark-side hole and found ... nothing?
2.  Finn and Rose spent a lot of time on a mission that was a complete failure.
3.  Why couldn't a Droid fly the ship instead of having Vice Admiral have to commit suicide?
4.  What The Force could do is radically expanded.  Flying dead Leia, astral projection, etc.
5.  Some felt the humor was misplaced or used inappropriately.
6.  Snoke died too quickly, with no back=story.
7.  Phasma died too ungloriously.  (Bobba Fett died ungloriously too...)
8.  Ray was a nobody.

I'm kinda bummed that Luke died.
[/spoiler]

Reminds me of a kind-of funny story.
[spoiler]
I worked with someone back when Return of the Jedi came out. She claimed to be a giant Star Wars fan.  But, I saw it opening day while she had plans to see it the second day because she wanted to see it with her husband and he was stuck at work on opening day. So the upshot is, I saw it first.  And I said, "Luke dies".  She was really mad and said I ruined it. I said  Luke of course doesn't die. So, then she complained, "well now I know he doesn't die".  I kept saying c'mon, you know Luke doesn't die.  She kept saying that well, he could have but now she know he doesn't.

I remember her first name, since it was unusual.  Brita.  But I don't remember he last name. If I remembered her last name, I thought I should try to look her up and call her and say, "Luke dies!"  LOL.
[/spoiler]
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on December 18, 2017, 09:33:35 AM
As usual, I will wait for the movie to come on free cable TV.  I'm looking forward to seeing Dr Strange soon.
I would think that has come and gone on cable by now.  It came out on disk months ago.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on December 18, 2017, 07:56:11 PM
Well, I loved it too. But, after reading some of the fan's criticisms, well, I think they do have merit, to varying degrees. Though I think all SW movies have flaws.  I could nitpick the original trilogy if I wanted to, but they are still fine entertainment. That said, I do think some of the criticisms have some merit.  Or at least I can see why they didn't like some things.

[spoiler]
1.  Ray went down into the dark-side hole and found ... nothing?
2.  Finn and Rose spent a lot of time on a mission that was a complete failure.
3.  Why couldn't a Droid fly the ship instead of having Vice Admiral have to commit suicide?
4.  What The Force could do is radically expanded.  Flying dead Leia, astral projection, etc.
5.  Some felt the humor was misplaced or used inappropriately.
6.  Snoke died too quickly, with no back=story.
7.  Phasma died too ungloriously.  (Bobba Fett died ungloriously too...)
8.  Ray was a nobody.

I'm kinda bummed that Luke died.
[/spoiler]

Reminds me of a kind-of funny story.
[spoiler]
I worked with someone back when Return of the Jedi came out. She claimed to be a giant Star Wars fan.  But, I saw it opening day while she had plans to see it the second day because she wanted to see it with her husband and he was stuck at work on opening day. So the upshot is, I saw it first.  And I said, "Luke dies".  She was really mad and said I ruined it. I said  Luke of course doesn't die. So, then she complained, "well now I know he doesn't die".  I kept saying c'mon, you know Luke doesn't die.  She kept saying that well, he could have but now she know he doesn't.

I remember her first name, since it was unusual.  Brita.  But I don't remember he last name. If I remembered her last name, I thought I should try to look her up and call her and say, "Luke dies!"  LOL.
[/spoiler]

1. That was kind of The confirmation though? It was her answer.
2. I liked that. ITS unrealistic if every time The last ditch effort, a million to one chance, works.
3. True enough.
4. I would think technically you could lift yourself with The force. And outside movie media, The force has done a lot more and a lot crazier stuff. Didn't bother me.
5. For me, it worked very Well. Especially in such a dark story.
6. I liked that he went when he did. With it, they passed through their ep v and vi and let The past die. Now ep ix can be iTS own thing if handled right. And besides before ep I, II and III, how Well did we know The equivalent character? His backstory wasn't in The original flicks.
7. If that character died that way, it's fine. I'm not whilst convinced that character is indeed dead, but it'd be fine. Got one good fight scène out of it and never was all that important to The plot. Basically a leveled up goon.
8. Best decision storywise. Hands down.

I have one complaint of my own though, ties in with 3.
[spoiler]It's Always these 'illogical' tactical decisions that end up bugging me. And while it seems dumb that in the medical frigates and in the case of the flagship indeed someone had to stay inside rather than using autopilot... Why didn't the empire have like half of their troops jump through hyperspace to cut the rebels off? They couldn't gain on them... sure... I'll buy that, but they could still go to hyperspace, right? Or were they all low on fuel?[/spoiler]

Mr.Obvious

https://youtu.be/1vdl4pAtno4

Just thought i'd drop this here. Agree with most of him, ... apart from Snoke, the rose-finn mission, the poe-finnbromance, the parentage and BB-8.

Blackleaf

[spoiler=The Last Jedi spoilers]Although I really, really enjoyed the film, there were a few things that bothered me and some things that have me concerned for the next movie. First, that scene with Rey in the Dark Side pit thing. I thought that infinite mirror thingy they did was kinda cool, the way the copies behind her would do something, only for her to repeat it and watch all of the copies in front of her do the same. But what almost ruined the moment for me was when Rey started giving her monologue. First off, the movie never lets us hear the thoughts of Rey or any other character anywhere else in this movie, so it felt very out of place. Did we really need to hear her explain (in past tense, BTW) that she felt trapped, but was certain she'd get her answers when it was over?
There are times when having something explained to you do not enhance the experience, and IMO this was one of those moments.

Also, that porg thing. They were interesting set pieces, as an alien species we hadn't seen before. And I appreciate that they were clearly using real props this time instead of pure CGI. But the trailer made it seem like the one with Chewy was going to be his new friend or something. I kept expecting the characters to name one and keep it as a pet, or to serve some purpose in the story. When that never happened, it just made it seem like they were only put there to sell toys.

Speaking of things I kept expecting to see in the movie, but never actually happened, Princess Leia. I could tell that the trailer was being deceptive, making it look like Leia would join the Dark Side, that Luke was a bad guy, etc, using clever editing tricks. I expected the part where Kylo Ren couldn't find it in himself to pull the trigger, but when those other fighters came in and finished the job, I thought for sure that was the end of it. But surprisingly, she lived. Then when she boarded the shuttle, and the Empire started firing on them, I thought that was how they were going to end it. But nope. She still lived. Much to my surprise, she made it to the end of the movie. This movie was very good at subverting my expectations. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. But in this case, it left me wondering what they're going to do in the next movie. Did they already film stuff with her for Episode IX? Are they going to kill off her character next time,
or are they going to have her silently disappear? I don't know if they've painted themselves in a corner or if they have something grand planned for next episode.

Another thing that has me concerned is the death of Emperor Snoke. I really didn't see that coming. The scene gave me goosebumps. It was brilliantly done. How do you kill an all-powerful force user, who can feel your intentions and even control your body? Lead him on to believe that the murderous intentions he feels in you are aimed at the person in front of you, not himself. It felt like the climax of the movie, with Rey and Kylo Ren joining forces to destroy the empire. But then Kylo Ren revealed his true plans, and oh man. A plot twist on top of another plot twist. The movie was really playing with my emotions then. So now, Kylo Ren is the leader of the Empire and... This leaves me a little concerned. First, we never did learn about who Snoke is, where he came from, or how he met Kylo Ren. Maybe we'll get more on that in the next movie, maybe Snoke will appear as an evil Force ghost to torture Kylo Ren, I dunno. We'll have to wait and see.

One thing we did see after Snoke's death was that Kylo Ren was not a good leader or strategist. He's easily distracted and manipulated, falling for every diversion set up for him. He lets his emotions take the better of him, doing stupid things like sending ALL of his fighters after one ship, just because he knew Rey was on it. As a result, the First Order feels very much weakened by the change of leadership. Will they be able to keep up the suspense in the next movie, or is the empire already on its last legs?

When it comes to Luke, though, I was pleased. Sure, he had an arc in the original trilogy, but that doesn't make him immune to making mistakes. I was concerned when they seemed to be setting him up as a murderer, but their explanation that he turned on his lightsaber in a moment of pure emotion after seeing what Ben would do in a vision of his future (which the movie leads me to think may have been a fabrication of Snoke), it was very understandable. He instantly regretted turning on his lightsaber, but Ben didn't see his regret. After seeing the effects of his momentary lack of judgement, Luke was filled with regret and shut himself off. Before the end of the movie, he finds his redemption, passing on his knowledge to Rey and confronting Ben (sort of). None of it felt out of character or beyond the realm of believabilily to me.

One last thing... Did anyone else notice that C-3P0's red arm was gone? He seemed to be back to his complete golden self. So what was the point of that plot point from the last episode? I thought they were going to explain it in a prequel or flashback or something.[/spoiler]
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 18, 2017, 08:31:25 PM
I would think that has come and gone on cable by now.  It came out on disk months ago.

It never showed up on the free movie list.  And I'm wondering why.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 06:06:45 AM

Dr Strangelove is still worth seeing, even if you have to pay for it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on December 23, 2017, 06:06:45 AM
I get new movies from Redbox.  Dr. Strange was the one and only exception. I wanted to see it again so bad, that I kept track of the release date, and literally showed up at Walmart at 8:00am on the day of release.  On occasion, movies don't show up at Redbox until a week after they air on pay per view, and like a four year old, I couldn't wait.  After that, I never paid attention to what other outlets it might show up at.

There is no reason I can see to withhold it from viewing.  While I was overwhelmed by that movie, others only generally liked it.  It doesn't appear to be available at Amazon Prime, which is puzzling, but you can buy the disk for your private collection.  I don't get it.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on December 23, 2017, 07:37:06 AM
I get new movies from Redbox.  Dr. Strange was the one and only exception. I wanted to see it again so bad, that I kept track of the release date, and literally showed up at Walmart at 8:00am on the day of release.  On occasion, movies don't show up at Redbox until a week after they air on pay per view, and like a four year old, I couldn't wait.  After that, I never paid attention to what other outlets it might show up at.

There is no reason I can see to withhold it from viewing.  While I was overwhelmed by that movie, others only generally liked it.  It doesn't appear to be available at Amazon Prime, which is puzzling, but you can buy the disk for your private collection.  I don't get it.

The odd non-show of Dr Strange is irritating.   I am patient about seeing movies, but this one baffles me.