News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I just rented Guardians of the Galaxy II, and watched it again after seeing it twice in the theater.  I liked it even better the third time.  It's nonsense, a parody of superhero movies, as well as the comics they are based on.  Maybe it requires the right frame of mind.  I'm going to call it exquisite.  That may be a stretch, but I can't find the word I want right now.  Can comic nonsense be exquisite?  Would I call Fantasia exquisite?  Not really, although it was a great film.  The music of Guardians is a nostalgia that beckons from my past.  I loved the way the music becomes part of the movie itself.  The absurd characters become real for me.  I even loved the evil guy and his madness. The visuals are stunning.  I can't even imagine the creators of the film thinking it could be so wonderful to anyone.  But it is to me.  Should I be worried?

Munch

I think the reason why movies like deadpool and guardians of the galaxy do so well and hold on their own, is because their not taking themselves seriously. With comic books, if you take them to seriously, especially marvel comics, it makes what you know of the world and characters to lineal and predictable, and thus kinda dull. By having movies embrace that comic book style of humor, high action, overblown setups and dramatic plot resolutions, thats what makes a good marvel comic storyline, I mean just thinking of the infinity gauntlet storyline, thats the perfect setup for that.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Munch on August 27, 2017, 06:45:14 PM
I think the reason why movies like deadpool and guardians of the galaxy do so well and hold on their own, is because their not taking themselves seriously. With comic books, if you take them to seriously, especially marvel comics, it makes what you know of the world and characters to lineal and predictable, and thus kinda dull. By having movies embrace that comic book style of humor, high action, overblown setups and dramatic plot resolutions, thats what makes a good marvel comic storyline, I mean just thinking of the infinity gauntlet storyline, thats the perfect setup for that.
I think you've probably identified the appeal.  Let go of reality, let the fantasy wash over you, and embrace the sublime.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on August 27, 2017, 06:45:14 PMI think the reason why movies like deadpool and guardians of the galaxy do so well and hold on their own, is because their not taking themselves seriously.
In both movies, the main character (Wade Wilson and Peter Quill) masks serious trauma with comedic quips and seem unflappable in the midst of serious danger (Peter Quill kicks away lizards trying to attack him, gripping one like a mic while singing along with his headphones.  Deadpool chillaxes on a highway bridge before jumping into a car and chatting with and murdering its occupants).  Both also rely heavily on parody and pop culture references.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on August 26, 2017, 09:56:24 AMI loved the way the music becomes part of the movie itself.
The sailor said "Brandy, you're a fine girl, what a good wife you would be.  But my life, my love, and my lady is the sea."

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 27, 2017, 10:40:19 PM
In both movies, the main character (Wade Wilson and Peter Quill) masks serious trauma with comedic quips and seem unflappable in the midst of serious danger (Peter Quill kicks away lizards trying to attack him, gripping one like a mic while singing along with his headphones.  Deadpool chillaxes on a highway bridge before jumping into a car and chatting with and murdering its occupants).  Both also rely heavily on parody and pop culture references.

True, through in any production movie, TV, comic, game, its needs more then just pop culture references to make it work, it needs the right combination of charm, likeable characters, and humor to support that, otherwise pop culture references can date something pretty bad.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on August 27, 2017, 10:23:56 PM
I think you've probably identified the appeal.  Let go of reality, let the fantasy wash over you, and embrace the sublime.

Yeah, like religion. ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on August 28, 2017, 06:35:41 AM
Yeah, like religion. ;-)
With a few subtle differences:  You know it's not real.  You actively sacrifice realism and logic for the sake of enjoyment.  And you understand what you are doing, and can accept reality when it's over.

The average movie goer recognizes that he is letting himself pretend for the purpose of enjoyment, while the believer sees no reason to consider that his religion as anything but real, even if the supporting claims are as unbelievable as a movie actor using a rat sized lizard for a microphone.

aitm

Spiderman the homecoming..wait for a rainy or snowy day when you are out of food and water and are waiting to die.......pretty good then.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: aitm on August 28, 2017, 07:42:23 AM
Spiderman the homecoming..wait for a rainy or snowy day when you are out of food and water and are waiting to die.......pretty good then.

I dunno if it was that bad, but I wouldn't watch it again. I would rewatch the original spiderman movies.

Munch

Ok, so just watched Get Out.

I was expecting so much more from this movie. The hype put into it was a draw, I love a good, fun, gritty horror movie, even if the acting is not that good, as long as the story works. For a good horror, you either need to make it grounded enough to make it something to unnerve you, or make the plot something with a suspension of disbelief that your taken out of the normal.

This movie tries to subvert the normal, but same time tries and hammers in a forced political message that just makes the plot so convoluted you lose all sense of where it was trying to go.

So screw it spoilers from here on.

[spoiler]The premise is basically the main character goes with his girlfriend to see her parents. Right from the start I paused it when he said to her "do they know I'm black", because when it showed this movie was set in the modern day, it made me ask 'why would he need to ask her that question?', this movie did nothing to establish the setting, just an all american suburb, so why would he ask something like that? That be like my boyfriend asking me "does your mum know I'm german" before he meet her.

Anyway it goes on with the first stupid jump scare, which was not earned (A good jump scare is earn, because its meant to break tension, when there is no tension to begin with, all it does it deflate all forthcoming expectations), and they arrive, the parents are nice to start, but theres some other black people living on the dads estate in their own house, and their weird acting.

The boyfriend then after so much boring padding ends up getting put in a trance, where he's convinced the mother did it. An old school friend of his shows up, married to a 60 year old woman, and after taking a camera flash of him with his phone, the old school friend breaks from whatever trance he's in screaming out to him to GET OUT, GET OUT, before being carted off.

So the big reveal, and were you realise this movie is just an M Night Shyamalan movie, the big reveal is that the girlfriend has been luring young black men to her dads estate, the mother using hypnotism to weaken their will, and the father performs brain surgery on them to remove most of their brains and replace them with the brains of their relatives and friends so white people can love out their lives in a young black persons body, the other black people on the farm are the grandparents.

He manages to escape by powers of plot convenience, killing the family, including the brain switched grandparents and his girlfriend, also using his camera flash on the grandfather to give the original black guy time to grab the shotgun, kill the girlfriend and then kill himself, before the main characters sassy black airport security friend arrives to pick him up.

This movies story was atrocious. While I'll give it points for its cinematography, and the acting from some of the characters were okay, the plot it just so stupid it kills whatever this movie was trying to convey.

You can essentially call this "White Guilt the Movie", because thats what the real premise is, being how every white person in this movie was evil, every black person were victims or good guys, and every white person dies at the end.  The people who gave this movie a high rating, its so bloody obvious why, this movie isn't a horror movie, its not a comedy, and if it claims to be a suspense thriller it killed that in the first 10 minutes with deer hitting the car scene.

[/spoiler]

in summery, the plot is awful, the writing drags down worse and worse every act, and I was just left stumped on whatever direction they were trying to go with this movie. The only good stuff was there cinematography and some acting, but it wasn't enough to save the movie.
The reason why this movie was given so much phrase, was because it play a modern day progressive tune, how all black people are victims, and all white people are evil, and it worked perfectly for a social justice modern narrative.

2/10

Shiranu

Quote... "do they know I'm black", because when it showed this movie was set in the modern day, it made me ask 'why would he need to ask her that question?...

...just an all american suburb, so why would he ask something like that?

It's just a cultural difference. As an American, particularly a Southern American where I believe it takes place (haven't seen it yet), that seems like the first, and honestly the most logical possible question, he would ask. Interracial couples are still heavily looked down upon, and in places still harassed.

I get in a first world, 2017 country that concept probably seems weird, but you have to remember where it was filmed. The American South, or even just America, does not live in the year 2017 for the most part.

(Not going to spoil, because I think that part was literally in the trailer.)

Edit: Completely skimmed over this...

QuoteThat be like my boyfriend asking me "does your mum know I'm german" before he meet her.

No, that's literally not at all like your boyfriend asking you that. White + white =/= white + black. I mean in reality it does, but not in our culture.

And yes, in places in the United States, to this day, that would be a perfectly reasonable question to ask too. We're still just a little bit racist, even against whites who aren't the same type of white.

I have seen foreign films that simply do not make sense to me that received stellar reviews because I just cant relate to the culture; I think that is probably the problem you had with this movie, and I'm actually glad you posted that review because it helps me understand where you are coming from overall a bit more easily. If you haven't experienced this culture, then it's perfectly reasonable to not expect you to understand it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

oh wow Shiranu thats so super do you really mean it.

Its like moths to a flame. How did I know you'd be chiming in about it like the crap reviews on imdb.

also you don't have to live in a culture to know the state of it, this movie is pandering, the story is convoluted, and the narrative is forced.

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on August 29, 2017, 08:18:14 PM

Its like moths to a flame. How did I know you'd be chiming in about it like the crap reviews on imdb.

also you don't have to live in a culture to know the state of it, this movie is pandering, the story is convoluted, and the narrative is forced.

As a nearly White person, if I don't actually eat Black people every day, I at least think my White neighbors are doing so ;-))

This is a lot like the movie "Eating Raul" ... where a White couple eats a Hispanic.  Bet you can't eat just one!  Yes, feed the paranoia!!
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on August 29, 2017, 08:18:14 PM

I tried to give you an honest answer, and you just act like a douchebag who doesn't care about anyone's opinion but his own.

Moths to the flame, indeed.

As I said, I have never seen the movie so I cant say anything about the plot. But for the parts I quoted, I gave you an honest answer about how it is here in the states, but you clearly know more than anyone else so I guess that was a waste of time. I'm sorry I believed you were an asshole out of ignorance instead of just being an asshole out of being an asshole.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur