News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 07:47:36 AM
That was in the spoiler.  It was a crude attempt at playing, "Can you guess what movie this is?"  I don't know why I did that.  Just trying to be cute, I guess.

Oh.  Well, hey, that IS clever.  But I'm blanking.  I don't watch that many movies even when they reach the TV.

BTW, I just read that 'Battleship' was supposedly a real loser movie.  I LOVED it and rewatch it often.  So many great scenes and clever ideas.  The scene where the destroyer turrets focus on the alien point blank cracks me up every time.  The aliens had mechanical weapons but not explosives.  When I see that scene, I count 3...2...1  Boom!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 10:52:11 AM
Oh.  Well, hey, that IS clever.  But I'm blanking.  I don't watch that many movies even when they reach the TV.

BTW, I just read that 'Battleship' was supposedly a real loser movie.  I LOVED it and rewatch it often.  So many great scenes and clever ideas.  The scene where the destroyer turrets focus on the alien point blank cracks me up every time.  The aliens had mechanical weapons but not explosives.  When I see that scene, I count 3...2...1  Boom!
I vaguely remember that.  I remember it being clever.

Baruch

Independence Day is more realistic, except for the ending.  Battleship?  Yes to anything with Navy in it.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 12:36:56 PM
I vaguely remember that.  I remember it being clever.

And I totally forgot my other TV watching fixation.  If 'The Incredibles", is on, I'll watch that too.

Shiranu

"The Dark Tower" - I really enjoyed it, for a movie that has like... a 16% from critics on rotten tomatoes (but a 67% from audiences when I checked). It was a good movie... but having not read the books, I don't know if it's a good book adaptation, which I think is what brings it down so much.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

Quote from: Shiranu on August 06, 2017, 02:25:34 PM
"The Dark Tower" - I really enjoyed it, for a movie that has like... a 16% from critics on rotten tomatoes (but a 67% from audiences when I checked). It was a good movie... but having not read the books, I don't know if it's a good book adaptation, which I think is what brings it down so much.

I've mostly read negative reviews, but that never stopped me.  I can enjoy the worst movies imaginable if watching at home with cats and wine.

I tend to avoid new movies because the local theater in Summer is a teen gang hideout. 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 02:31:14 PM
I tend to avoid new movies because the local theater in Summer is a teen gang hideout. 
I've heard that before.  I must have it good, because the local theater, actually 40 miles from my house, is a quiet place.  I always go to the early showing, which is sometimes 11:00 AM, so I don't have to drive home in the dark.  Mid week, I often have the theater to myself.  The last time I went, a woman came in before the movie to play this trivia game where you can win a free popcorn by entering the answers on your smart phone.  She was the only one playing, so of course she won, and then she left.  She would have to buy a ticket to get that far, so I wondered if she had some kind of scam going on, buy a ticket for another movie an hour later, and go from empty theater to empty theater, playing the game until her feature started.  I give her credit for beating the system.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 06, 2017, 03:10:49 PM
I've heard that before.  I must have it good, because the local theater, actually 40 miles from my house, is a quiet place.  I always go to the early showing, which is sometimes 11:00 AM, so I don't have to drive home in the dark.  Mid week, I often have the theater to myself.  The last time I went, a woman came in before the movie to play this trivia game where you can win a free popcorn by entering the answers on your smart phone.  She was the only one playing, so of course she won, and then she left.  She would have to buy a ticket to get that far, so I wondered if she had some kind of scam going on, buy a ticket for another movie an hour later, and go from empty theater to empty theater, playing the game until her feature started.  I give her credit for beating the system.

I may have to check out the local theater again.  It has been a few years.   A peaceful center seat would be nice.

Munch

Maybe this belongs in books more then movies, but it related to both. With the new dark tower coming out and already being regarded as a flop, and the upcoming remake of IT, I looked back on a lot of stephen king movie adaptations of his novels, and it began to make me think.

This is probably sacrilege to some people who are fans of his work, but has anyone ever considered the idea that, maybe, just maybe, King is that that good a writer?
Sure, he's popular, he's written some the most award winning novels, and their adaptations are some of the finest in cinematic history, adaptations like Misery (kathy bates still gives me shivers today), The Green Mile, the shining, many great and cinematic masterpieces that last today, infact I went out and brought misery recently because of kathy bates' role in it was so perfect.

But from what I understand of the process, these award winning or nominated movies adapted from his work, are as said, adaptations, they are reworked from the original story and made for cinema, the director making them into these great experiences. From what I read, King was against how the movie the shining was made, despite it being a massive success, so much so he had a direct to TV 2 part made of the shining, and it didn't do anywhere near as good as the Kubrick adaptation.

Getting back to the point, i'm not saying King is an awful writer, he is able to make some great books, but often it seems like he just gets lucky with it, that only a handful of his work extends to the wider spectrum, and only die hard fans can really say they like all his work. I've always found kings writing very, VERY long winded, over the top in detail, and it really takes a masterwork to cut down all the fat in his books to be adaptable for cinema.

We can't ignore the fact that there are so many crap stephen king adaptations, ones he has never seemed intrested in downgrading for how crap they are, but went to the trouble of saying he disliked the Kubrick version of the shining enough to try and make his own version? Something doesn't sit right there, any sane writer should know a book adaptation needs to be altered for a cinematic experience.

I think he's just someone who got lucky, since he's writer sooooooooooo many books, that a few of there were a success, and that is what put him on the map, which really can't excuse so much crap that he has done. I'll give him his phrases for his works that adapted into cinema, but theres always been something about king, either having an ego, or just caught in his own bubble, that stopped me reading a lot of his work.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Shiranu

I wouldn't call it luck... he cranks out so much work, on purpose, that something has to hit. While I'm enjoying the first dark tower book, it is not my favorite writing style by any means. If I wasn't interested in the setting, I provably couldn't have gotten past page 50.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Cavebear

So if I just cranked out 10 books, one would get famous?

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 09, 2017, 05:12:53 AM
So if I just cranked out 10 books, one would get famous?

Well he's been writing books since 1947 and published around 91 so far, so yeah
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on August 09, 2017, 06:06:53 AM
Well he's been writing books since 1947 and published around 91 so far, so yeah

Just Kidding.  My short stories are crap.

SGOS

Atomic Blond  5/10

I was kind of bored.  Charlize Theron makes a great bombshell in the right wig and is pure pleasure to behold, but the story seems to be a remix of putting the best scenes of a sexy spy kicking male ass down the road in a different order.

Sal1981

The Wolverine (2013) - 5/10

Nothing too interesting.