Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

The Belko Experiment  9/10

53% on Rotten Tomatoes

I think this one may have gone straight to DVD.  It's a maximum blood fest, not Academy Award material, but will keep you on the edge of the seat and explains itself at the end when it provides the viewer with some much needed relief and brief sense of satisfaction.  I hate to even admit I liked this, but in the interest of full disclosure and honest reporting, I'm giving it 9/10 for not letting my mind wander, keeping me guessing, and making me a nervous wreck.

NOT FOR CHILDREN OR NORMAL ADULTS
EXERCISE CAUTION

aitm

War movies...Saving Private Ryan was the most horrific movie I ever watched. It was probably the most authentic....horrific. I have never and have no desire to ever see it again.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Not one I've seen recent, but one I want to talk about.

As a kid, I loved Roald Dahl books, the Witches, Georges Marvelous Medicine, The Twits, Matilda, The BFG, James and the giant Peach. But of all of them, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was my all time favorite of all his books, I reread it so many times. So of course when I was introduced to the movie, with Gene Wilder as Willy Wonka, this movie became one of my all time favorites.
Sure the movie took cinematic liberties, such as making it into a musical, but as so many good classical movies were given such treatment, as an adaptation, it ended up becoming its own thing, its a film that holds up together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ-uV72pQKI

Gene Wilder just made this movie, all the other actors were great, the set designs were on a level to something like the wizard of oz, but Gene delivered the best role in the movie, and set the stage as Willy Wonka, which holds up together.

I think its not just the childhood imagination come to life theme of the movie, but also the darker twists in it. It felt like a movie that was ahead of its time in terms of what it got away with, EVERYONE remembers the tunnel scene, the images shown in it, in a kids movie, was pretty dam dark, but it showed that kids could watch something like this and not be scared by it, like some parents would have themselves believe.

9/10

Of course, can't talk about this movie with talking about its remake, and Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcREWDplGBo

Urm.. just.. nah. I didn't like this movie all that much. I felt more like a flashy spectacle rather then something with some heart and soul put into it, all show and no tell. The acting was nothing special, Depp was just not Willy Wonka, instead just being another johnny depp character like he's high as fuck. The kid playing charlie was to fucking goodie good to be believable, and the oompa loompa's being digital inserted clones of the same actor was just fucking annoying, at least in the original they were individuals and not just one guy doing an army of himself.
Also the music in this was was forgettable,  honestly the only thing in this movie held up was the set designs, everything else just seemed to work to pushing me out of the imaginary world it was meant to be in.

2/10

Just one mention too because I brought the original up due to what was released recently on nostalgia critics channel, but I can't miss on talking about the tom and jerry willy wonka crossover.

Why this movie was made, or any of the recent tom and jerry merging into classic movies, its just a bizarre choice, and as doug walker said it, all it does it make you feel remove from whatevers going on, if your a fan of the movie you feel put off by tom and jerry being there, and if your a fan of tom and jerry you feel like the movie gets in the way of their slapstick.

But, we can't ignore this scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygv_EIpyDvY

For everything working against this movie, this scene was probably the best thing I've seen in an animated movie in years.

5/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Deidre32

Girl on a Train.

Um, could have been better. Much better. Acting was great but the script jumped around too much and didn't leave you feeling like the end was really "the end." I've heard so much about how awesome the book is but the movie was just meh. Typical cheating spouse-drama-crazy ex type of movie with a few surprises but probably better as a book.
The only lasting beauty, is the beauty of the heart. - Rumi

SGOS

Superheroes in General 8/10

Somewhere in the din of Marvel superheroes, there remains a place for interesting story telling.  I love the superheroes, and some of them have interesting stories, but mostly I love them for the emotional joy of their super powers and the concept of saving humanity.  But there are other good stories and good scenarios of equal value, which currently seem to be taking a back seat in today's environment of superhero excitement.

Colossal  8/10

Just out on DVD, this is an interesting story that breaks out of the usual movie formula.  Ann Hathaway has powers with just a hint of the typical super power, but mostly it's just a strange power that society could easily do with or without.  It's hard to anticipate what's going to happen next.  You can anticipate a jump or two ahead as the story unfolds, but never completely.  It's kind of spooky in an unbelievable but clever way.  I would categorize it as fantasy/sci fi, but it's also touching and addresses the human condition.  I wish I could explain more, but unfortunately, that would run the risk of ruining it for others.  For me, it seemed a bit more softly thoughtful than exciting, something I've been missing of late.

Baby Driver  7/10

Good reviews from Rotten Tomatoes.  Yeah, it's about bank robbers and fast cars, but the hook is that it is playfully overacted with tongue in cheek.  It starts with a fascinating car chase the likes of which require more than the usual suspension of reality.  Up until now most car chase scenes have been rather redundant, except for maybe the ones in Blues Brothers.  There are some places in the middle where my head kind of slumped forward as the action paused to make way for the story line, but soon enough the love interest Lily James would appear, and I would suddenly get interested once again.  Kevin Spacey does this usual shtick as some evil mastermind that runs a successful but rather pointless and disorganized crime syndicate.  The only worthwhile guy on the payroll is the driver with extraordinary almost super power driving skills that works for the crime lord because of some unexplained debt.  The rest of the time, he's involved in creating weird post modern musical art forms.  He's just biding his time until Lily James shows up and has more power over him than Kevin Spacey.  The hook in this one for me was the hint of overacting and playful, almost satirical melodrama.  It's also bloody, but the love story still holds together if you don't demand too much reality.

Cavebear

When I was a teen, I loved Marvel comics.  And I still do.  Because Marvel was for angst and DC was for jocks. 

I loved the Marvel movies critics panned.  FF was great, every Spiderman movie was good.  Seriously, how could you understand the villain as a sort of decent character (Sandman)?  I am waiting for Dr Strange coming to standard play (loved that story).  Loved the Avengers.  Loved Iron Man.  Loved X men.

Never saw any DC character (except Batman) that made sense to me) and that was so dark in the last ones.

You know what superhero movie I REALLY loved?  Hancock!  I thought he was an anti-hero f-ing lunatic at first and almost stopped watching it.  Then the story drew me in and I found he was SO Complicated. 

That's what Marvel is about.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

This is lowest Rotten Tomatoes score I've ever seen.  Critics 0%, although viewers gave it 41%, probably because this is a niche movie if there ever was one.  To be fair, this was the third in a series, and the first two did better, although I didn't look them up.

I didn't think it was very good, and it's a shame because Part 3 was the best part of the novel; A self sustaining commune organized on something like a barter economy.  At least that's what I remembered from the novel when I read it 30 years ago.

[spoiler]Atlas Shrugged: Part 3
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/atlas_shrugged_who_is_john_galt/[/spoiler]

Baruch

Sorry, most of us got over Dagny Taggart 40 years ago.  I think she would have been too married to her destiny to make a good lay ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Draconic Aiur

Solomon Kane
6.5/10

Not bad but rushed and cheesey

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on August 02, 2017, 09:05:58 AM
The only worthwhile guy on the payroll is the driver with extraordinary almost super power driving skills that works for the crime lord because of some unexplained debt.

The debt was explained.  Spacey's character said that the kid stole his BMW with 'product' in it, and he let the kid do it just cuz he was impressed with the kid's balls.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on August 04, 2017, 02:15:40 PM
The debt was explained.  Spacey's character said that the kid stole his BMW with 'product' in it, and he let the kid do it just cuz he was impressed with the kid's balls.
My head must have been tipped over when he said that.

Mr.Obvious

The zookeeper's wife.

Audio was a bit off from time to time. But visually stunning. Amazing feel for weight. Masterfully acted. Great dialogue. And overal marvelous storytelling.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on August 03, 2017, 08:01:58 PM
This is lowest Rotten Tomatoes score I've ever seen.  Critics 0%, although viewers gave it 41%, probably because this is a niche movie if there ever was one.  To be fair, this was the third in a series, and the first two did better, although I didn't look them up.

I didn't think it was very good, and it's a shame because Part 3 was the best part of the novel; A self sustaining commune organized on something like a barter economy.  At least that's what I remembered from the novel when I read it 30 years ago.

[spoiler]Atlas Shrugged: Part 3
https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/atlas_shrugged_who_is_john_galt/[/spoiler]

You might want to mention which movie you are discussing...  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 02:42:48 AM
That was in the spoiler.  It was a crude attempt at playing, "Can you guess what movie this is?"  I don't know why I did that.  Just trying to be cute, I guess.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 02:42:48 AM

If you have to ask, then you don't know Atlas Shrugged.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.