News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

I'll retort with the old classic: it's a comic book, characters change. Isn't uncle Been not showing up again more realistic since the character would have to be either reanimated or reinterpreted?

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Shiranu

Quote from: Munch on July 16, 2017, 12:37:15 PM
He pretty much is that way in this, hence why I pointed it out.

He was a decent person, he was trying to protect and teach a 15 year old who is dealing with people's lives...
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 16, 2017, 12:06:51 PM
Where the fuck do you get "late 30s" for Aunt May????  Did they say anything about her age in the movie?  Marisa Tomei is 52. 
Part of the issue here might be in the casting.  Marisa Tomei maybe 52, but she looks 30.  I can't remember that Aunt May's age was given in the movie, but since it was Marisa, I'll give all of this a pass, because well it's Marisa, and I love her.

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on July 16, 2017, 01:18:31 PM
Part of the issue here might be in the casting.  Marisa Tomei maybe 52, but she looks 30.  I can't remember that Aunt May's age was given in the movie, but since it was Marisa, I'll give all of this a pass, because well it's Marisa, and I love her.

I'll give her that she's a fine actress, if they even cast her as being peters mother before giving her to Ben and May I'd say that would work. She just wasn't aunt May to me.

This is aunt may to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PIlStdAb1EY

So is this.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Munch on July 16, 2017, 12:42:41 PM
May and Ben parker, older then peters parents.

Okay.  But, I still think 52 qualifies.  But, honestly, if you want complete consistency with the comics you should probably stay away from the movies.  You said you like the Tobey Maguire movies.  I agree they were good but they weren't completely consistent with the comics either.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Munch on July 16, 2017, 02:35:37 PM
This is aunt may to me.

I'll totally agree that Tomei looks a lot younger than the other actresses who have played Aunt May.  But I think they were intentionally trying to not duplicate too much.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hydra009

Just saw Spiderman Homecoming.  8/10 Very good.

This is maybe the best Spiderman movie I've ever seen, and I've seen a whopping 3 of them.  It's also about average for an MCU movie, but average isn't bad compared to enormous blockbuster hits.

One thing that really stood out to me is that this movie was mostly sunny and bright.  Not dark (in both senses of the word), gloomy, and angst-ridden, as other movies have been.  A very welcome change.  Between this and GoTG, I think Marvel finally figured out this whole color palette thing.

Most of the humor was good.  Cap definitely got a chuckle or two out of me.  It could've used more classic Spiderman zingers, but you can't have it all.

I also really liked Michael Keaton.  I even liked his fur-trimmed jacket.  I take back 90% of the bad things I said about the Vulture.  Marvel Studios took this and turned him into the closest thing the MCU has to a Chaos Raptor.  What an upgrade!

The action scenes were filmed beautifully for the most part.  The night action scenes got a little choppy and hard to follow in places, but the action was mostly done very well.

And I dunno who said that this movie was too similar to an Iron Man movie, but I will personally fly to their hometown, knock on their door, and...*reviews the footage*...respectfully disagree.  I can see where you got that impression, but I don't share it.

And finally, Tony Stark was NOT a 100% asshole in this film.  He was a bit rough on Peter, but it was clear by the end that he was just trying to look out for him.

And super finally, there are two end credits scenes so be sure to stay until the very end for some amazing Captain Marvel footage.  *snickers*

[spoiler]I think this is the first time I've seen Peter Parker in a high school that actually looked like a high school.  Crowded, messy, socially awkward, teachers just play videos and generally hate their lives.  Throw in a couple MTG decks, Deadpool-level pimple outbreaks, a blind eye to bullying, and filthy bathrooms with non-working sinks and over-filled toilets, and I'd be right at home.

The heroism was for the most part pretty lowlevel, which can be good or bad depending on your tastes.  Aside from the main plot, nothing too high stakes.  Pretty mundane and boring, to be honest.

I fucking LOVED the villain crew.  Powered armor?  Check.  Flashy alien weapons?  Check.  Like some sort of villainous XCOM.  I'm already at halfmast just thinking about it.

I hated Pete's clingy, annoying friend, who's pretty much just like the Adoring Fan from Oblivion.  I could see him being super excited and peppering Pete with questions for a single scene, but goddamn if he didn't do it the whole damn movie.  And nearly spilling the beans at almost every opportunity.  The vulture isn't the real villain of this movie, it's that little douchebag.[/spoiler]

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 16, 2017, 05:52:40 PM
I also really liked Michael Keaton.  I even liked his fur-trimmed jacket.  I take back 90% of the bad things I said about the Vulture.  Marvel Studios took this and turned him into the closest thing the MCU has to a Chaos Raptor.  What an upgrade!

I agree that if they tried to make him look like he did in that panel, it would have been laughable.  Though I was thinking of one thing... What do Ironman, Vulture and Green Goblin have in common? Guys that invented gizmos to fly with.  Just cosmetically different devices.

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 16, 2017, 08:34:40 AM
I always thought it was kinda weird that Peter Parker's Aunt May was the age of an elderly grandmother. How much of an age difference could there have been between Peter's father and his aunt?
Linguistically, one generally doesn't differentiate between an aunt and a great-aunt, at least not in English.  So my grandparents' siblings (and there were a thundering lot of them) were my aunts and uncles.  I didn't call them 'great-aunt' and 'great-uncle' so-and-so.  I don't recall that it was ever stated that May was the sibling of one of his parents; I always took it as read that she was the sister (or sister-in-law) of one of his grandparents, not of his parents.  I don't believe it was ever clarified in canon one way or the other.

By way of examples, my dad's brother was only 13 years older than me, so after I grew to adulthood, I dropped the 'uncle'.  I know several people from large families who are older than their own aunts and uncles, or have aunts and uncles in the first degree that are of an age range more typically that of a great-aunt or -uncle.  I'm 32 years older than my older niece... and 33 years younger than my youngest great-aunt.  The age difference, and the uncertainty of the degree of relationship, are nothing to go by when trying to determine the 'proper' age difference between a nephew and an aunt.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 16, 2017, 06:15:43 PM
I agree that if they tried to make him look like he did in that panel, it would have been laughable.  Though I was thinking of one thing... What do Ironman, Vulture and Green Goblin have in common? Guys that invented gizmos to fly with.  Just cosmetically different devices.
There are subtle differences.  The Vulture's wide wingspan and reach lends it to circular skirmishing and slashing attacks.  Green Goblin ops more for straight-line ramming attacks or bombing runs.  And Iron Man can hover in place or jet to a destination like a cruise missile.

Munch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 16, 2017, 05:34:01 PM
I'll totally agree that Tomei looks a lot younger than the other actresses who have played Aunt May.  But I think they were intentionally trying to not duplicate too much.

Its an adaptation from a source material, it owes it to fans give them its based upon. Of course adaptations need to do their own thing to fit it into a run time.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 16, 2017, 07:47:44 PMIts an adaptation from a source material, it owes it to fans give them its based upon. Of course adaptations need to do their own thing to fit it into a run time.
*tries to find a way to justify deviating somewhat from the source material while not exposing myself as a hypocrite for the many, many times I've heavily criticized an adaption for doing just that*
*almost comes up with something*
*erases post*

Shiranu

QuoteIts an adaptation from a source material, it owes it to fans give them its based upon.

Yeah, I see where you are coming from... if it made any relevance to the plot. It doesn't. Turning Spiderman into a transgendered Asian blind kid who wasn't actually bitten by a spider but rather by the power of social justice is able to shoot freedom webs? That would be terrible.

Making aunt May actual aunt age? I just don't even. Out of all the things to get hung up about, I put that somewhere between, "Oh no, that piece of grass blew to the left!" and, "That brick on the wall was red 323 instead of red 322, absolutely horrible, how dare they change the source material!".

Second: Movie aint owe you shit. It's a big girl, it can do what it want. A Spiderman movie owes you a Spiderman with roughly the same story as the comics... it gave you that. If it was called Spiderman and gave you a Teletubbie film, that would be it not giving you what it owes you.

Baruch

Corporations owe consumers ... nothing.

"transgendered Asian blind kid who wasn't actually bitten by a spider but rather by the power of social justice is able to shoot freedom webs" ... I like your idea.  Get it crowd-funded now!

PC folks are offended by one race playing another, but I think if that was routine, racism would die.  PC keeps the racism going, while claiming the opposite.  PC are like ex-smokers who like to claim they never smoked in the first place.  I vote for a Christian Shylock, a Black Hamlet, and a White Othello.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2017, 07:06:15 PMSeriously, tobey maguire is still the best Spiderman
As long as we don't acknowledge the third film. ;)
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel