News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Walk the Dark Street - a nothing of a movie, written and directed by the man who wrote Robot Monster (the one with the gorilla suit wearing a diving helmet) and an abysmal Alpha Video print, so only barely at 640x480... and blown up to the big screen.  A movie that has absolutely nothing to recommend it... but made wildly and hilariously entertaining by Trace and Frank.

Also, my brother and sister heathens, be proud: the idea for them to do this tour came out of their experience a couple years ago when they riffed live on 'God Is Not Dead' at an atheist convention.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Munch

Spiderman homecoming.

6/10

My expression coming from this movie was kinda like this.

There were parts of this movie I enjoyed, the action sequences were a lot of fun, some of the actors were pretty good, and it was now set in the canon marvel movieverse which opened up more of the marvel movies into it.

But there was a lot of cringe in this. Why the fuck is Peter Parker 15? Why the fuck is aunt May in her late 30s? Why is Adrian Toomes a scrap metal dealer instead of an ancient millionaire? Why is ironman such a dislikeable cock in this movie?

There thankfully wasn't a load of sjw narrative thrown in like I dreaded there be, but it just felt so out of place having Spiderman be this young, not even in university or with his job at the bugle, yet he's offered to join the avengers?

Seriously, tobey maguire is still the best Spiderman, maybe this new kid playing him could grow into the role, but I won't be seeing the sequals to this anytime soon.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: SGOS on July 15, 2017, 07:03:35 AM
Battle for the Planet of the Apes  8/10

Which movie was it you were reviewing...?
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2017, 07:06:15 PMThere thankfully wasn't a load of sjw narrative thrown in like I dreaded there be, but it just felt so out of place having Spiderman be this young, not even in university or with his job at the bugle, yet he's offered to join the avengers?
Watsonian explanation:  In the MCU timeline, Tony Stark scouted for talent to help in the Civil War, apparently discovering Spidey extremely early in his career.  So yes, he's offered to join the avengers before he goes to college or works for Mr Hitler mustache.

Doylist explanation:  Marvel wanted to introduce Spidey to filmgoers without the baggage of the previous Spiderman films.  Clean slate.  So they have to start him out super young.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 15, 2017, 11:25:08 PM
Which movie was it you were reviewing...?
Sorry, it was the War for the Planet of the Apes.  Well, I sure made a mess out of that.  I need to go back to movie reviewer school, and take a refresher course.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2017, 07:06:15 PM
Spiderman homecoming.

6/10

My expression coming from this movie was kinda like this.

There were parts of this movie I enjoyed, the action sequences were a lot of fun, some of the actors were pretty good, and it was now set in the canon marvel movieverse which opened up more of the marvel movies into it.

But there was a lot of cringe in this. Why the fuck is Peter Parker 15? Why the fuck is aunt May in her late 30s? Why is Adrian Toomes a scrap metal dealer instead of an ancient millionaire? Why is ironman such a dislikeable cock in this movie?

There thankfully wasn't a load of sjw narrative thrown in like I dreaded there be, but it just felt so out of place having Spiderman be this young, not even in university or with his job at the bugle, yet he's offered to join the avengers?

Seriously, tobey maguire is still the best Spiderman, maybe this new kid playing him could grow into the role, but I won't be seeing the sequals to this anytime soon.

I always thought it was kinda weird that Peter Parker's Aunt May was the age of an elderly grandmother. How much of an age difference could there have been between Peter's father and his aunt?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

QuoteWhy the fuck is aunt May in her late 30s?

Because that's normally what age an aunt should be.

QuoteWhy is ironman such a dislikeable cock in this movie?

Did we watch the same movie?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Quote from: Shiranu on July 16, 2017, 09:00:58 AM
Because that's normally what age an aunt should be.

Not this aunt. Best I can gather from canon is peters parents gave peter to May and Ben as a baby when they were already in their forties, which explains why she looks like this in the comics.

Did we watch the same movie?
[/quote]

He was though, he kept down playing peter in his role and gave him little to no respect, even shunned him when trying to do his own thing. He pretty much ignored his growth, not their training him to be a hero, or his assistant Happy, and only showing up when the plot demanded it. I just found him really dislikeable in this movie.

I also disliked the lack of anything uncle Ben in this movie, he's pretty much peters father figure, but nope, need to spend more time talking about the his class mates and winning a school quiz contest. Infact I believe the reason why uncle Ben wasn't even mentioned was to try and force the idea of tony stark being a father figure, which honestly he sucked at if that's the case.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Munch on July 15, 2017, 07:06:15 PM
Why the fuck is Peter Parker 15? Why the fuck is aunt May in her late 30s? Why is Adrian Toomes a scrap metal dealer instead of an ancient millionaire? Why is ironman such a dislikeable cock in this movie?

15 is the official age that Peter Parker was bitten by the spider, according to Marvel.

Where the fuck do you get "late 30s" for Aunt May????  Did they say anything about her age in the movie?  Marisa Tomei is 52.  But, as Shiranu points out, even Aunt May was portrayed as being late 30's, that would be perfectly reasonable for an aunt of a 15 year old.  Though I suppose 40's would be more common.  But since Tomei is 52, you seem to be just GRASPING at straws to bitch about!

As far as Toomes back story being changed, okay, it was.  Big fucking deal.

Did you not notice that Ironman/Tony Stark as portrayed as RDJ has always been cocky and dickish?  Have you watched ANY previous Ironman movie?
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 16, 2017, 08:34:40 AM
I always thought it was kinda weird that Peter Parker's Aunt May was the age of an elderly grandmother. How much of an age difference could there have been between Peter's father and his aunt?
I technically have a first cousin who's 30 years younger than me.  So, it's possible.  Not likely, but possible.

Hydra009

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 16, 2017, 12:06:51 PMDid you not notice that Ironman/Tony Stark as portrayed as RDJ has always been cocky and dickish?  Have you watched ANY previous Ironman movie?
That's true.  He is totally a jerk with a heart of gold.  Though I think that sometimes the writers forget that underneath the layers of jerk, there is a decent human being under there.  Hopefully, Spiderman Homecoming isn't one of those occasions.

Munch

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 16, 2017, 12:30:30 PM
That's true.  He is totally a jerk with a heart of gold.  Though I think that sometimes the writers forget that underneath the layers of jerk, there is a decent human being under there.  Hopefully, Spiderman Homecoming isn't one of those occasions.

He pretty much is that way in this, hence why I pointed it out.

Hydra009

Quote from: Munch on July 16, 2017, 12:37:15 PM
He pretty much is that way in this, hence why I pointed it out.
I'll have to watch it and get back to you guys on this.

Munch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on July 16, 2017, 12:06:51 PM
15 is the official age that Peter Parker was bitten by the spider, according to Marvel.

Where the fuck do you get "late 30s" for Aunt May????  Did they say anything about her age in the movie?  Marisa Tomei is 52.  But, as Shiranu points out, even Aunt May was portrayed as being late 30's, that would be perfectly reasonable for an aunt of a 15 year old.  Though I suppose 40's would be more common.  But since Tomei is 52, you seem to be just GRASPING at straws to bitch about!

As far as Toomes back story being changed, okay, it was.  Big fucking deal.

Did you not notice that Ironman/Tony Stark as portrayed as RDJ has always been cocky and dickish?  Have you watched ANY previous Ironman movie?

May and Ben parker, older then peters parents.