News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on June 26, 2017, 02:06:08 PM
I asked the wife is she wanted to watch anything, she said no, so I told her I was going to watch a mindless drivel of bloodletting and violence...you know...a bed time show.

John Wick 2..holy jabberwocky and ice picks to the testicles...what a load of crap! This fucker kills about 439 peeps in an insane rolling frolocking high spirited bullet flying blood splattering martial arts laden, super secret spy handshaking, assassin obligated honor coded behind the back stabbing hell hole of glory. Got damn that is some bad shit! One has to climb a ladder to get to -100....holy shit on a shingle.

...you're dead to me.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

aitm

Quote from: Shiranu on June 26, 2017, 06:20:05 PM
...you're dead to me.

really? You liked that? Wow......never in a million...
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Munch

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on June 12, 2017, 10:47:38 AM
I'd still fap to it.

You'd.. urm.. be able to do more then that with him now..
[spoiler][/spoiler]

Again I keep asking.. why.? Why is this happening :S

Apparently the reason why this is happening was because the babadook was accidentally put it the LGBT section of Netflix, and the LGBT community now claim he's an icon for subverting the traditional family system, which is weird because the movie starts out with the mother already a widow.

https://avn.com/business/articles/gay/indiegogo-set-for-odd-lgbt-icon-the-babadook-to-become-a-dildo-734013.html
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

That is some gnarly marketing there!  I prefer my girls to be distracted by the Cthulhu butterfly vibrator, when I am unavailable ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Quote from: aitm on June 26, 2017, 09:32:16 PM
really? You liked that? Wow......never in a million...

I mean, it certainly wasn't as good as the first, and I might have been high when I saw it, but John Wick is basically an action movie taken to as close to it's pure form as you can get without making it just a constant fight.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

I saw The Godfather.  Well, part of it.  Couldn't get into it.  I felt that it insisted upon itself.

Baruch

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 27, 2017, 06:17:17 PM
I saw The Godfather.  Well, part of it.  Couldn't get into it.  I felt that it insisted upon itself.

Gave you an offer you could refuse?  Albanian Mafia is much more scary.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Y'all are Fucking killing me here.

SGOS

I saw The Godfather.
Well, it's about time.  And there's two more to go.

Couldn't get into it.
At the time of it's release, it was considered gritty and cutting edge, and back then, I did too.  I rented it a couple of years ago in the mood for some nostalgia and watched it again.  It wasn't as good as I remembered it, but I pushed myself, and decided to respect it based on its classic status.  It's probably one of those movies that you had to be there when it first happened.

It was still better than Gone with the Wind, which was before my time, and based on a book I'd never read.  I've heard it referred to on a couple occasions as "the best movie of all time."  This of course is a matter of taste, with possibly a bit of snobbery thrown in to create an impression that the speaker is a person of culture, but never-the-less, it still gets a great deal of respect from critics.  So I rented it maybe 10 years ago, and thought it was...Hmm, let me think about the exact wording here... "Trivial," I think comes pretty close.

The Godfather is by comparison a work of art IMO.  But then I though Police Squad with Leslie Neilson was a good film, so whatever.  Edit:  Not Police Squad.  It was called Naked Gun 33 1/2, and focused on the special unit, "Police Squad" headed up by Leslie Neilson.

Hydra009

Quote from: Shiranu on June 27, 2017, 06:34:49 PMY'all are Fucking killing me here.
I was making a joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pnwE_Oy5WI

I really saw it, though.  I kinda liked it.  It didn't blow me away or anything, but it was alright.  Long, long movie though.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 27, 2017, 08:28:19 PMIt was still better than Gone with the Wind, which was before my time, and based on a book I'd never read.  I've heard it referred to on a couple occasions as "the best movie of all time."  This of course is a matter of taste, with possibly a bit of snobbery thrown in to create an impression that the speaker is a person of culture, but never-the-less, it still gets a great deal of respect from critics.  So I rented it maybe 10 years ago, and thought it was...Hmm, let me think about the exact wording here... "Trivial," I think comes pretty close.
Frankly, I don't give a damn about Gone with the Wind.  It's certainly not the best movie of all time.  For that, I'd probably go with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).  Or maybe Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Hard to decide.  I might have to flip a coin on this one.

Shiranu

Trying to think what my favorite movie would be...

The obvious answer is Star Wars, simply because it has had the most effect on my life.
Second would b e the funny answer, and I would have to go with something like Blazing Saddles or Spaceballs, or anything Mel Brooks really, that really pushes the limit of what is offensive and what is funny.
Citizen Kane is an absolute classic, which by itself is not necessarily the best movie but when put into film making history context is simply undeniably one of the most influential and greatest movies of all time.
Spirited Away would probably be my top animated, followed by The Lion King.
Action wise, Mad Max: Fury Road is just absolutely wonderful... it's fusion of practical effects and CGI, and it's just "rawness" is perfection.
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly is damn near perfect as well.
And there are so, so many more that I have either forgotten how good they are or just blanking on their names atm, which is only a statement about how much damage booze, weed and shrooms are doing to my memory and not a statement on the quality of the film...

I think the point I intended to make, and got distracted, is I don't have a favorite movie because I try to judge every movie on it's own merits rather than compare it to something else, unless it is specifically a movie meant to be compared to something else.

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on June 28, 2017, 01:52:32 AM
Trying to think what my favorite movie would be...
It's hard to do.  It's easier to do a top ten list, but you're probably still going to make changes to it 5 minutes after you write it down.  Easier still would be top 10 in the last 2 years.  People always seem to list movies they've recently seen, but I'm not sure if that's a measure of quality or attention span.  A life time list is hard for me because there must be 20 films I think deserve the top 10 spots, which is a bit mathematically illogical but still feels so emotionally necessary.

SGOS

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 27, 2017, 11:21:24 PM
Frankly, I don't give a damn about Gone with the Wind.  It's certainly not the best movie of all time.  For that, I'd probably go with Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971).  Or maybe Raiders of the Lost Ark.  Hard to decide.  I might have to flip a coin on this one.
Oddly, I noticed a local theater either had or is having one of those one time special showings of Willy Wonka.  I've only attended one special showing, the original Planet of the Apes, but I though about seeing Wonka at the theater, assuming it's the original.  I love that movie as embarrassing as it is to admit, and I can't even explain why.  I've decided it must all come down to Gene Wilder.  I don't think anyone else could make it work.  I'll bet Gene Wilder didn't think it would work.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on June 28, 2017, 06:54:09 AMI love that movie as embarrassing as it is to admit, and I can't even explain why.  I've decided it must all come down to Gene Wilder.  I don't think anyone else could make it work.  I'll bet Gene Wilder didn't think it would work.
Gene absolutely killed it but the songs and sets were amazing, especially for the time. Wacky fun and amazement (and the occasional freakout) with a very serious, sardonic undercurrent (no pun intended).  It's an emotional rollercoaster from start to finish.

The only bad thing is that it's basically a morality play and can come across as excessively preachy.  And the lessons are somewhat dated now.  Sure, gluttony and greed are timeless vices, but one kid's main vice is chewing gum (which is kinda rude, but not exactly 7 deadly sins material) and the other one is a big fan of television (ironically condemned while being broadcast on TV) and he's obnoxiously loud and impulsive (duh, he's a kid) but otherwise not nearly as terrible as the greedy kid.

Also, was Charlie really better than any of the other kids?  He screwed up, too.  But he redeemed himself by facing failure with a certain amount of selflessness and non-retaliation.  But for all we know, some of the other kids could've done the same offscreen.

The movie is a classic, but your mileage may vary on the message.