News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I actually had to backup through the thread to find the post in question, and I still didn't find it.  I didn't look all that hard so I'll assume it happened somewhere.  I know I've done the same thing myself, so I'm not going to take offense.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 03, 2017, 10:09:00 PM
I thought I posted a 10/10 rating for Wonder Woman. I wonder if I put it in the wrong thread.  Good movie.

Parallel universe ;-)

Who won't like Wonder Woman?  Feminists for instance ... they would be supportive of the woman mad scientist character ;-(

The emotional arc is from utopian idealism, to hard cynicism, to pragmatic hope.  Some people are ideologically opposed to that.  I found it directly relevant to my emotional journey thru life.  A few women are shield maidens ... but most of them won't be.  So one has to take care with building role models from fiction.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on June 04, 2017, 10:38:08 AM
Parallel universe ;-)

Who won't like Wonder Woman?  Feminists for instance ... they would be supportive of the woman mad scientist character ;-(

The emotional arc is from utopian idealism, to hard cynicism, to pragmatic hope.  Some people are ideologically opposed to that.  I found it directly relevant to my emotional journey thru life.  A few women are shield maidens ... but most of them won't be.  So one has to take care with building role models from fiction.
I had a similar reaction while watching the movie.  I adored Wonder Woman, and I was wondering if my reaction would be considered politically incorrect.  She was almost a perfect fit for my male fantasies.  She had every admirable female trait in my fantasy expectations rolled into one perfect female.  I can excuse it as just a fantasy.  No female in reality could be so perfect.  I also wondered if the movie reflected the feeling of the original comics.  I've never read a Wonder Woman comic from the 50s and 60s.  Was that Wonder Woman more bash, thrash, and God bless America than the one in the movie?

I kept thinking my ex would be pissed off about the movie.  But she is an old school feminist dating back to the 70s, the kind that would tear your head off for having any expectation whatsoever about female behavior.  However, feminism seems to have changed over the years, with women being more accepting of other females choosing who they want to be, even if being pleasing to men happens to be one of their primary goals.  And in recent years, I have met such women.  I find them delightful. 

A friend of mine long back in the 70s mentioned one time, "Some women really like men.  They like the whole idea of men in general."  I never forgot that comment, probably because it was somewhat inconsistent with my perception of the women I was surrounded by in college in those years. What would be the feminist reaction to the movie be today?   I'd like to see some polling data, not just a poll of those women who identify themselves as feminists, but women in general.  Perhaps the poll could be broken down into sub sets.

Munch

Never got into reading wonder woman comics, though I liked her in the justice league unlimited series.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

aitm

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2017, 11:11:35 AM

A friend of mine long back in the 70s mentioned one time, "Some women really like men.  They like the whole idea of men in general."

It occurred to me as well, many years ago, that the feminists of the late 70's 80's were really only "feminist" to men their age or younger, or the older obvious male chauvinists. The "typical" male and all his "typical" leanings were quite "liked" as long as they were 8 to 10 years older and with some type of status. One particular hot gal who was 3 years older than me when I started collage, and very obvious as to her distain for men in general but younger men in particular, found herself openly chasing an man 10 years her senior who status was that of a simple disc jockey in a small collage town. She paraded about with him as if she conquered him, when the rest of us knew she simply fulfilled his fantasy, he moved on, she morphed into a ditto head's "Femi-nazi".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2017, 11:11:35 AM
I had a similar reaction while watching the movie.  I adored Wonder Woman, and I was wondering if my reaction would be considered politically incorrect.  She was almost a perfect fit for my male fantasies.  She had every admirable female trait in my fantasy expectations rolled into one perfect female.  I can excuse it as just a fantasy.  No female in reality could be so perfect.  I also wondered if the movie reflected the feeling of the original comics.  I've never read a Wonder Woman comic from the 50s and 60s.  Was that Wonder Woman more bash, thrash, and God bless America than the one in the movie?

I kept thinking my ex would be pissed off about the movie.  But she is an old school feminist dating back to the 70s, the kind that would tear your head off for having any expectation whatsoever about female behavior.  However, feminism seems to have changed over the years, with women being more accepting of other females choosing who they want to be, even if being pleasing to men happens to be one of their primary goals.  And in recent years, I have met such women.  I find them delightful. 

A friend of mine long back in the 70s mentioned one time, "Some women really like men.  They like the whole idea of men in general."  I never forgot that comment, probably because it was somewhat inconsistent with my perception of the women I was surrounded by in college in those years. What would be the feminist reaction to the movie be today?   I'd like to see some polling data, not just a poll of those women who identify themselves as feminists, but women in general.  Perhaps the poll could be broken down into sub sets.

My ex is similar, ideologically and generationally.  Though perhaps more quiet and less militant, but definitely dismissive of men in general.  As a poll, I will mention that the post Millennial generation (18 or younger) is very conservative compared to the Millennials.  It is relatively speaking, a 180 degree turn.  My daughter is a Millennial, and not surprising is much like her mother ... that is my personal datum.  I think that my daughter is more of an individualist, that she isn't ready to exchange one conformity with another.  I don't know why women's culture has changed back and forth so much in the last 150 years ... though I think it is good that the corset and hoop skirt have been abandoned ;-)  As Wonder Woman says while trying on conventional feminine costume ... how can a warrior fight in this?  As Freud said ... "What do women want?".
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

One small but thoughtful device used in Wonder Woman that truly captures the feeling of the comics is slowing down the camera every time Diana does one of her Wonder Woman leaps as she begins her attack.  She leaps high in a hundred yard arc frozen in the classic comic book pose holding her shield in front and her other arm brandishing a weighty sword toward the heavens, one leg pointed toward the ground and the other with knee bent and a partially bared thigh and calf sporting a sexy boot of armor behind her like a rudder guiding her flight.  While I haven't read the comics, I've seen this classic pose somewhere, perhaps on the cover of the comic.  It's an absurd fantasy, but foretells of the wrath she is about to unleash on the wicked.

caseagainstfaith

Saw Wonder Woman.  It is good, no doubt. The big battle scene with the main villain was boring to me, seen too many similar scenes.  But everything else was good.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Sal1981

Logan - 6/10

a bit overrated, IMO.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on June 04, 2017, 06:35:44 PM
The big battle scene with the main villain was boring to me, seen too many similar scenes.  But everything else was good.
I remember thinking it was time for the movie to end, but I knew it wasn't over because the first guy went down too easy.  Maybe they could have just made the first guy some science nobody and dispensed with the first fight altogether.  The second guy was the better villain.  He was making me nervous even when I thought he was the good guy.

caseagainstfaith

One thing I forgot to mention...  how come WW kills dozens of people with her sword, and we see not one drop of blood?  Honestly, I realize that if they tried to make the killing realistic based on how they were stabbed, it would be a bloodbath, and they couldn't have that.  So, I understand.  Yet, it was still pretty glaring to me how bloodless it was. In fact...

[spoiler]
There is a scene where WW stabs one of the bad guys right through his chest and the blade goes through the floor beneath him.  Moments later, you see from the floor below the blade sticking through the ceiling.  Not a drop of blood on it.
[/spoiler]

So, I get why they had to "sanitize" it, but, I still found it glaring.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2017, 10:04:28 AM
I actually had to backup through the thread to find the post in question, and I still didn't find it.  I didn't look all that hard so I'll assume it happened somewhere.  I know I've done the same thing myself, so I'm not going to take offense.
Certainly none intended.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: SGOS on June 04, 2017, 07:46:00 PM
I remember thinking it was time for the movie to end, but I knew it wasn't over because the first guy went down too easy.  Maybe they could have just made the first guy some science nobody and dispensed with the first fight altogether.  The second guy was the better villain.  He was making me nervous even when I thought he was the good guy.
Remus Lupin is a bad ass. ;)

I told the wife he was the MV early on. Never bet on the obvious bad guy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Baruch

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on June 05, 2017, 02:54:13 AM
One thing I forgot to mention...  how come WW kills dozens of people with her sword, and we see not one drop of blood?  Honestly, I realize that if they tried to make the killing realistic based on how they were stabbed, it would be a bloodbath, and they couldn't have that.  So, I understand.  Yet, it was still pretty glaring to me how bloodless it was. In fact...

[spoiler]
There is a scene where WW stabs one of the bad guys right through his chest and the blade goes through the floor beneath him.  Moments later, you see from the floor below the blade sticking through the ceiling.  Not a drop of blood on it.
[/spoiler]

There is a shortage of ketchup in Hollywood, and blood isn't PC anymore.  So the actors are doing all they can, eating lots of french fries with ketchup, doing their bit to create an artificial shortage ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SGOS

Quote from: caseagainstfaith on June 05, 2017, 02:54:13 AM
how come WW kills dozens of people with her sword, and we see not one drop of blood?

It's the director.  They should have hired Mel Gibson to design the carnage scenes.