Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sal1981

Arrival - 7/10
It's like a 70ies scifi

Sendt fra min SM-G920F med Tapatalk

Shiranu

Rewatched "The Book of Life". 10/10, once again fuck Frozen for winning an Oscar and this hundredfold superiour film not even getting nominated because it came from a smaller studio and is Mexican.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Often I find stop motion animated movies don't get the focus they deserve, yet more often then not I find more heart goes into their creation then CGI movies do.
Coralines probably one of my fav animated movies, because of the theme, the characters, the dark tones and twists, and just the design work is flawless.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Cavebear

Of all the superhero movies, I have never seen any Marvel group as lame as The Guardians Of The Galaxy.  It's like they're a joke you should catch, but not quite any reason to.  "I am Groot" all the time?  Pleeeeese...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Shiranu

Quote from: Cavebear on May 12, 2017, 01:49:34 AM
Of all the superhero movies, I have never seen any Marvel group as lame as The Guardians Of The Galaxy.  It's like they're a joke you should catch, but not quite any reason to.  "I am Groot" all the time?  Pleeeeese...

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Sorginak on April 30, 2017, 12:02:40 AM
Movies I want to watch, but cannot find the time to watch:

Rogue One
Hidden Figures
Ghost in the Shell
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Seen 'em. Make time.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Well, the reverse is true. GotG is more fun than the rest combined.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

It is a joke.  Although, I don't put it in the same category as the superhero genre.  It's satire like Kick Ass, Super, or my Super Ex Girlfriend.  And I think you are right that it is lame, actually lamer than the superhero mainstays, which are pretty lame to begin with.  A guy that flies around in the sky and wears a cape?  That's ridiculous.  A raccoon and a tree?  Even more so. 

Or maybe it's not satire.  Stan Lee may have developed it because he thought it could reach a much younger demographic, but the 20 and 30 somethings, conditioned to the comic book phenomena, saw something else in the idea.  Maybe die hard fans of Stan Lee just have to read everything he produces, like fans of James Michener, or Dostoyevsky.  Or maybe Stan Lee just doesn't have what it takes to shed all vestiges of the adult world, and simply can't write something that doesn't have at least a hint of adult appeal.

But I think there's more than that.  I was never conditioned to the comics.  My parents forbade them.  My biggest indulgence is the movies, sitting there in the theater mucking around with the rest of the lowbrows and morons.  But I had to learn to let go of my intellectual conditioning to fully enjoy it all.  I had to learn to enjoy movies for any reason that might tickle some half buried emotional need.  And childhood needs still unsatisfied are some of them, I suppose.  One of my favorite modern animations is Inside Out, which attempts to explain childhood needs in the silliest and most childlike way possible, a movie that explains in part, why I like movies that are silly.

Superhero movies are currently my favorite genre.  It used to be romantic comedy, which is equally lame and utterly naïve about love, but inspires us to indulge ourselves in the impossible.  Except we don't believe in the impossible.  We just fantasize about it and enjoy the moment, and we relate to the similar moments we have had in real life.  Romantic comedy and superheroes play to those needs.

I have a friend who goes to movies, but has never talked about the superheroes.  He likes movies like Manchester by the Sea that probe deep concepts like existentialism, existential angst, and mankind's hopeless condition, even better if they are foreign and require subtitles.  Why does he like that stuff?  I don't know.  I think he takes life too seriously, but I'll never say that to him.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on May 12, 2017, 08:04:29 AMIt is a joke.  Although, I don't put it in the same category as the superhero genre.  It's satire like Kick Ass, Super, or my Super Ex Girlfriend.  And I think you are right that it is lame, actually lamer than the superhero mainstays, which are pretty lame to begin with.  A guy that flies around in the sky and wears a cape?  That's ridiculous.  A raccoon and a tree?  Even more so.
It's intentionally outlandish, partly to underscore how strange the universe is (especially to Quill, who's usually the only human in the room) and partially so that writers have a wide berth in what they can do.  A sentient, gun-toting racoon and his BFF, a walking, talking tree would be totally ridiculous on Earth.  But we're not on Earth.  We're somewhere far away, in the middle of Knowhere.  We're somewhere where strange is commonplace, normal is strange, and almost anything can happen at any time.  A place in need of guardians.  That's pretty much the foundation premise of Guardians of the Galaxy.

SGOS

I saw Guardians II for the second time in 2D, the visual feast at the very end is almost a non-event in 2D, or maybe my initial perception of it was flawed.

In one or two dimensions, however, the way the highly advanced golden people fight their battles in space is extremely clever.  Watch for that one.

Green Bottle

Guardians of the Galaxy       7/10

Ghost in the Shell                 9/10

Life                                        9/10 
God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Blackleaf

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is hilarious. Don't know how I feel about the frequent dick jokes, though. At one point, Drax just blurts out, "Do you have a penis?" I thought Marvel movies were supposed to be family friendly. Other than that, I had no objections. Very funny. Lots of interesting characters. Character development that is rich and not cliche. As is often the case in these Marvel movies, characters' interactions with each other are the main source of entertainment.

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Shiranu

Rewatching the original Alien movie: 10/10, it is a classic for a reason. Makes me long for the days of "real" baddies and spaceships instead of CGI, even if it is absolutely beautiful in cases like GotG. There is something just more visceral and real about Alien that appeals to the subconscious as you watch it[size=78%]. [/size]

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on May 12, 2017, 12:11:38 PMGuardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 is hilarious. Don't know how I feel about the frequent dick jokes, though. At one point, Drax just blurts out, "Do you have a penis?" I thought Marvel movies were supposed to be family friendly.
Well, it does have a serious amount of violence (way more than the previous one) and a pretty long body count, but yeah, those dick jokes are really pushing the boundaries of good taste.

...okay, maybe I came off a little too strong there.

<deploying measured response>

Sure, Marvel movies are family-friendly, to a certain extent.  But they've been creeping into more adult territory for a while now.  Deadpool is a pretty good example of that.  It makes sense that they're starting to aim for a slightly older audience.  A big portion of their fans are 30+ now.  Besides, GotG is rated PG-13, and I didn't see/hear anything that would push it into R territory.

Hydra009

Guardians of the Galaxy 2.  10/10.

My new favorite Marvel movie.  It's on my short list for most enjoyable movies I've ever seen.  Even better than the first Guardians of the Galaxy, imo.

It was thrilling.  It was adorable.  It was funny.  It even made me cry.  What an emotional rollercoaster!

The action was exciting, and there was way more of it this time around.  And the jokes had me laughing out loud, which is weird because I'm normally pretty reserved and the jokes aren't exactly masterpieces on paper.  80% of it was the delivery, imo.  Drax's maniacal laugh must be infectious.  He could talk about eating a kitten and I'd probably find it hilarious.

I loved how the secondary characters are way more fleshed out and now have their own character arcs!  And I was pleasantly surprised to see Ben Browder on the big screen.  I could give or take Stallone, though.  The Stan Lee cameo was pretty good.

[spoiler]Favorite gag:  Drax's dancer/non-dancer speech.  His non-dancer wife sounds incredibly sexy.

I'm slowly coming to terms that the movie versions aren't much like their comic book counterparts.  Movie Gamora is too goodie-goodie than comics Gamora, and I'm 90% sure comics Gamora never had romantic feelings for Starlord.  Drax is far more of a joker than he ever was in the comics.  Movie Mantis's naivety and lack of martial arts skill is a big departure from the comics, but it makes sense from her movie backstory.

I wasn't sure about the main villain this time around, I anticipated a pretty mediocre villain.  And I've gotta say, this one surprised and impressed me with his sheer power and insidious plot.  White isn't a typical look for a big bad, so the big reveal caught me a little off-guard.

I liked how Nebula and Gamora finally hash things out and reconcile the differences, having a little character growth in the process.  Nebula's actress, Karen Gillan, friggin killed it.

Favorite action scene:  Yondu and Rocket going full-auto on the mutineers.  Sweet glorious carnage.  And speaking of Yondu, man did he steal the show or what!  It's funny how eerily similar Yondu's arc is to Merle's arc from The Walking Dead.

Minor gripe #1: Drax says that Mantis is beautiful on the inside.  But it's already established that metaphors go over his head (unless he catches them), so him using a metaphor like that doesn't make sense.

Minor gripe #2: Yondu is apparently cool with the Ravangers now after being exiled for selling kids.  What changed?  Cause it wasn't the selling kids part.  Realistically, they wouldn't be showing up at his funeral.  Sure, you could argue that him playing a part in saving the day might've helped change minds, but none of them were there to witness it (except one and I dunno if he'd have much credibility) and there's not a clear causal connection between what's going on there and elsewhere in the galaxy.  He'd likely still have a bad rap.

Post-credits scenes:  holy smokes, did we get a lot of post-credits scenes!  I didn't leave until I saw the ushers come in to clean up.  I love how they set things up for Infinity War.  Adam Warlock is all set to make his film debut and Nebula's going after Thanos.  Infinity War should be amazing.[/spoiler]