News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2017, 04:54:29 PM
I used to play that with my grandmother.  I don't think she played any other games.  I can't remember how to play it, though.  It couldn't have been that hard.  I was only four.
You move and jump, just like gringo checkers.  The goal is to get your "guys" into the other guy's crib, 1st.  Multiple players makes it more interesting.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2017, 09:54:01 AM
Chess is beyond my imagination.  I look at guys playing chess and think about their moves, and in the end, I don't have a clue what they are doing.  I don't see strategy, or why one move is better than another.  About the only thing that registers is when one guy takes a chess piece from his opponent.  This seems like a good thing.  I know it's not the object of the game, but I just can't think of anything better to do.

Then there's always that moment in every chess movie where one guy dramatically knocks over his king 14 moves before the end of the game because he knows he has been beaten.  Hell, I'd knock my king over before I even move my first pawn, just to save myself an hour of agony.  Why do they knock over their king?  How do they know that their brilliant opponent will not make an accidental bone headed move that will turn the board in their favor?  See?  I don't even understand that.
Chess is a feudalistic battle between Monarchs, where it's a good idea to protect the Queen and the lives of the peasants are completely expendable.   And you have paid mercenaries called, "Knights" who ride on horses.  Somehow, they magically get part of the castle to move and fight, which causes reconstruction issues.
The Revolution does not fall like an apple when it is ripe:  you have to MAKE it fall...

SGOS

I heard a story once about the origin of chess.  I don't know if it's true.  Supposedly, a king had his architects redo his courtyard.  Apparently, they created a checkerboard pattern out of different colored stones.  Chess had not yet been invented, but the checkerboard they created was the same pattern as today's chess board.  The king was pleased, and he called upon a wise man to invent a game with the board, and the wise man invented chess.  The pieces to be moved were servants of the king, dressed in various costumes.  From the balcony around the chessboard, the king and his opponent would direct the servants to move about the squares as one would move chess pieces.

Again, the king was pleased, and told the wise man he could ask for anything he wanted.  The wise man asked for one grain of wheat to be placed on the first square of the checkerboard, and twice that amount on the second square, doubling the amount on each subsequent square until all 64 squares had been filled.  As you know, the doubling has phenomenal effect over a mere 30 squares, and after somewhere around 30, you start dealing with bushels rather than grains, until the progress becomes untenable, both in the counting and the volume of wheat involved.

As the story goes, the king had the wise man beheaded.  I've wondered about this, however.  I assume the wise man was just attempting to make an interesting point about doubling, and never had an intention that the king should actually pay him that much wheat.  But that's how I heard the story.

Mike Cl

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 04:24:25 PM
I don't think they are conquered yet.  This guy started up a Hindu sandwich shop just down the street here in 'Murica.  Calls it, "New Deli"...
Of course they are conquered.  It cost a bunch to defeat them, especially in Civ VI, so I've ordered them to give me my money back--those will be sweeping the US soon!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

etienne

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 12, 2017, 06:03:02 PM
Of course they are conquered.  It cost a bunch to defeat them, especially in Civ VI, so I've ordered them to give me my money back--those will be sweeping the US soon!
That was supposed to be a joke.

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2017, 05:59:21 PM
I heard a story once about the origin of chess.  I don't know if it's true.  Supposedly, a king had his architects redo his courtyard.  Apparently, they created a checkerboard pattern out of different colored stones.  Chess had not yet been invented, but the checkerboard they created was the same pattern as today's chess board.  The king was pleased, and he called upon a wise man to invent a game with the board, and the wise man invented chess.  The pieces to be moved were servants of the king, dressed in various costumes.  From the balcony around the chessboard, the king and his opponent would direct the servants to move about the squares as one would move chess pieces.

Again, the king was pleased, and told the wise man he could ask for anything he wanted.  The wise man asked for one grain of wheat to be placed on the first square of the checkerboard, and twice that amount on the second square, doubling the amount on each subsequent square until all 64 squares had been filled.  As you know, the doubling has phenomenal effect over a mere 30 squares, and after somewhere around 30, you start dealing with bushels rather than grains, until the progress becomes untenable, both in the counting and the volume of wheat involved.

As the story goes, the king had the wise man beheaded.  I've wondered about this, however.  I assume the wise man was just attempting to make an interesting point about doubling, and never had an intention that the king should actually pay him that much wheat.  But that's how I heard the story.
Kings gotta keep the slaves hungry, that's why they are Kings.  The Freemasons love themselves some chess:

Oh wait, the cops too, wassup w dat?!

SGOS

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 06:35:58 PM
The Freemasons love themselves some chess:
Oh wait, the cops too, wassup w dat?!
What only two photos?  I can help.

Baruch

Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

etienne

Quote from: SGOS on March 12, 2017, 07:29:43 PM
What only two photos?  I can help.

I doubt those 3 businesses are tied specifically to the Masonic Order.   Maybe, who knows?

etienne

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 07:44:08 PM

You are a bunch of Muggles!
Doesn't get much more blatant than that.  Oh wait:

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on March 12, 2017, 12:19:02 PM
Mike-sahib, how will you ever become a raja if you don't conquer your neighbors?  How will you win a battle without forts and elephants (rooks and knights)?  You will never be able to accumulate a nice harem (babes) and have a fun time at this rate!  Chess comes from India ... stick that in your hooka and smoke it ;-)
Plus, as everybody knows (or should) that chess was invented on Mars.  John Carter told us that--being a Southern Gentlemen, he does not lie!  But they did have an extra piece and an additional border of squares on the board. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on March 12, 2017, 08:26:17 PM
Plus, as everybody knows (or should) that chess was invented on Mars.  John Carter told us that--being a Southern Gentlemen, he does not lie!  But they did have an extra piece and an additional border of squares on the board.

They always said that President Obama was playing 11 dimensional chess ... which planet is he from?  Planet Jive?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Shiranu

Moana - 8/10. Just not my type of film, but still really enjoyable.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Solomon Zorn

Quote from: etienne on March 12, 2017, 05:05:16 PM
Chess is a feudalistic battle between Monarchs, where it's a good idea to protect the Queen and the lives of the peasants are completely expendable.
We should play a game. You can expend all those "peasants," protecting your queen, and that should clear the board a little, for one or two of my "peasants" to cross to the other side, and become additional queens. After that, I should be able to make short work of checkmating your king, which is the one you should have been protecting.

Mr Obvious and I have played a few games, on Lichess.org. I think I'm up one game on him.

Quote from: Baruch
They always said that President Obama was playing 11 dimensional chess ... which planet is he from?  Planet Jive?
Spock and Kirk used to play tri-dimensional chess. A Trekkie friend of mine bought a set from Franklin Mint. It came with some rudimentary rules, and we played a few games. It's actually too easy. You can make huge moves, and cross the entire board too easily. "Queen to queen's level 2," is an actual move.
If God Exists, Why Does He Pretend Not to Exist?
Poetry and Proverbs of the Uneducated Hick

http://www.solomonzorn.com

etienne

Quote from: Solomon Zorn on March 13, 2017, 12:59:09 AM
We should play a game. You can expend all those "peasants," protecting your queen, and that should clear the board a little, for one or two of my "peasants" to cross to the other side, and become additional queens. After that, I should be able to make short work of checkmating your king, which is the one you should have been protecting.

Mr Obvious and I have played a few games, on Lichess.org. I think I'm up one game on him.
Spock and Kirk used to play tri-dimensional chess. A Trekkie friend of mine bought a set from Franklin Mint. It came with some rudimentary rules, and we played a few games. It's actually too easy. You can make huge moves, and cross the entire board too easily. "Queen to queen's level 2," is an actual move.
I think in nearly 6 decades above ground, I have played maybe 1 full game of chess and lost brutally.  The game was rigged, I'm sure ot it.  I forgot that the "Wise Man on Mars", who invented chess,  had also foreseen the genetic cloning of Queens.  Way ahead of time, that guy.  Besides, I had dedicated my life to Chinese checkers, til I lost all my marbles.  I have, however, been tempted to buy one of those idle elitist chess boards to set my coffee cup on and maybe sell off whilst I flee from the Nazis:

rigged