News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Rate the latest movie you've seen.

Started by GalacticBusDriver, February 16, 2013, 12:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Lion.  10/10.  Good writing, acting, story, filming--all top notch.  And it is different--in a good way.  And it is a hardy reminded of what living a 'hardscrabble' life really means.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on February 21, 2017, 08:43:03 PM
Lion.  10/10.  Good writing, acting, story, filming--all top notch.  And it is different--in a good way.  And it is a hardy reminded of what living a 'hardscrabble' life really means.

Not the same as "Son of a Lion" ... a film about a Pashtun boy growing up in Afghanistan?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Baruch on February 22, 2017, 07:17:43 AM
Not the same as "Son of a Lion" ... a film about a Pashtun boy growing up in Afghanistan?
Nope--never heard of the movie you mentioned.  I was wondering why it was named 'Lion' for the entire movie--well, up until the very end.  Then it is explained.  I am not a very avid movie goer, but this movie is very well worth the couple of hours it takes to see it.  Don't really even need popcorn for this one. ;)
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sorginak

The Arrival.

I rate it 0/10.

Right up until the end it was an okay portrayal.

Munch

I just came from seeing hacksaw ridge.

Okay, first, need to get this out of the way.

[spoiler]

Luke Pegler has an ass that could melt steel, that was a delight ^^[/spoiler]

Now that's over with.. ooh man, I never thought a movie Mel Gibson in its cast list would bring me to tears, but this movie..
As a portrayal movie, of the actions of Desmond Doss, I wasn't prepared for how this movie would hit me right in the chest, I legit teared up at moments, and gasped other times, along with other cinema goers.
The acting was so good, everyone gave it their all, the cinematography was amazing, the gore and graphic imagery was, as say, boring, but for a movie set in this situation, it's exactly what you would expect, and gives real meaning to why soldiers developed shell shocked.

Andrew Garfield was such a great role here, it didn't matter that everything he did was because of his faith in God, you were routing for him. Just one more.

I don't think there's been a wartime story as good as this since saving private Ryan, and this BETTER get awarded best picture.

10/10.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on February 20, 2017, 01:05:48 AM
Oh wait. Yeah you are right. Thought it was an Avengers flick but it ain't.
To be fair though, how is it not?

Well, the final product does seem very much like an Avengers movie since it had most of the Avengers, minus Thor and Hulk. To my understanding, it started out very different, with only small roles for anybody but Captain America, to be a Captain America movie.  Robert Downey Jr. lobbied to have Iron Man take a larger role and it grew from there.  But, without Thor and Hulk, its not an Avengers movie...
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

SGOS

Hacksaw Ridge 8/10

It just came out on DVD.  I avoided it at the theaters because I'm not a fan of Mel Gibson, but this movie had some reviews that suggested there may be more to it than the usual Gibson glorification of Patriotism and artistic license.  While glorified patriotism and license is most definitely part of the movie, the story, even with it's focus on Religion, is not that bad.  I would say it's inspirational, probably much more so for the religious, but there was also something about the principles of duty and commitment of the hero that extend beyond religion.  One could be a secular conscientious objector, I suppose, although that would be a hard sell to the government, I think.

The death, blood, and slaughter so typical of Mel Gibson, was probably overdone, not to say the invasion of the Pacific was an easy jaunt by any means.  Bodies were literally flying through the air, and Gibson's ability to create visually surreal gore, like a severed face lying in the dirt (not a head mind you, but just a face that had somehow been blown off of a head), speaks to Gibson's creativity when it comes to bringing violence to the theater.  Just about any part of the human body that can be severed, mangled, or smashed became part of the cinematography.  Imagination becomes unnecessary.

Not that it was hard to watch.  It was well done, and you needed to concentrate during the battle scenes less you miss momentary touches like a severed foot dangling from a tree, or a arm flying by.  Early in the action, Gibson presents a score of gore as soldiers walk along horrified by what happened to the battalion before them.  Here's an arm lying on the ground.  Ten yards later, here's a guys head.  Ten more yards, here's a neat gut pile (That one seemed odd.  How do you get a perfect gut pile with nothing else, unless someone field dressed a moose carcass?).  But that was just a preliminary potpourri of the visual feast that lies ahead.

But having said that, the battle scenes were quite good, probably exaggerated, but then I wasn't in the actual battle, so I'm only guessing.  A pretty good movie, and much more down to earth than the Road Warrior Movies, which were more comical than real.

Baruch

The the beginning of Fury, they new guy is cleaning out the gore from his predecessors demise ... including part of the guy's face.  People can be skinned like a leopard seal hitting a penguin at high speed.

My grandmother' second husband ... the marriage didn't last long, but then he was grieving.  He had just lost his son on Iwo Jima.  Armchair general much?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Sal1981

Mr.Obvious

The gf wanted to go see Lala Land.
I was pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't want to watch it again, but it was good enough for a single viewing.
Visually beautiful and an easy to relate to story. The songs weren't that memorable, though I liked the repeating piano tune.
I also liked that the story went just a little bit deeper than your average hollywood musical.
If this were the standard of films she'd drag me to, I would have much less of a problem with being dragged to new things.

8/10
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Shiranu

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Munch

Just watched a street cat named Bob.

I read the book, and loved his story, heartbreaking at times, but one that leads to something better. Really inspiring story. The movie adaptation was good, the actor who played James Bowen was so into his role. And it was a delight to see the actual bob on screen playing the roll of himself.

I liked the fact this movie didn't hype up or downplay anything, it was just a straight up story, no bullshit, told just from James' on words, and they respected that when they made this film. Guess it held some real personal value to me since I know a lot of the places this movie took place in.

Overall, if you want a down to earth movie with a heartwarming story, this one was worth a watch. 8/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on March 05, 2017, 02:15:54 AM
Logan - 10/10, was fucking great.
Going to see it tomorrow.  How many X-Men movies are there now?  I'm losing track.  Spiderman can't last more than three, and then it needs a reboot, which fizzles after two.  Every Superman movie these days is a reboot.  Batman makes it three times, but the X-Men endure.  Oddly, my favorite superhero, who doesn't even have a name beyond "V" only lasted for one movie in V for Vendetta.  I suppose it didn't help that they killed him off in the first movie.  But Hollywood could resurrect him if they really wanted.

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on March 06, 2017, 08:39:40 AMGoing to see it tomorrow.  How many X-Men movies are there now?  I'm losing track.
Ten if you count Deadpool (Colossus and Negasonic are X-Men, so technically Deadpool could count as an X-Men movie)

My current favorite is First Class, though Logan might bump it to #2 if I like it half as much as other people liked it.

SGOS

Logan 8/10

It didn't seem like an X Men movie, not that this is totally accurate.  Nor does it detract.  It just felt different for some reason I can't put my finger on.  It's a good movie though.