Author Topic: Books to read suggestions? oO  (Read 161 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: Books to read suggestions? oO
« Reply #30 on: Today at 08:36:06 AM »
I just ordered nightfall after hearing about it here.  It should be here next Friday, although that is no longer a given with the new improved trumpmail.

Offline PopeyesPappy

« Reply #31 on: Today at 08:46:54 AM »
The author, Anne McCaffrey, said that she "strongly suggests the books be read in publication order.

Some of the events in Dragondrum were contiguous with The White Dragon. So I prefer Dragondrum first since The White Dragon is really the culmination of that whole story line.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

« Reply #32 on: Today at 01:45:18 PM »
Some of the events in Dragondrum were contiguous with The White Dragon. So I prefer Dragondrum first since The White Dragon is really the culmination of that whole story line.
She "suggested". I gave a full set of Pern books (less Todd's books) to a twelve y.o. and told him to read them in chronological order.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Offline PopeyesPappy

« Reply #33 on: Today at 02:28:36 PM »
She "suggested". I gave a full set of Pern books (less Todd's books) to a twelve y.o. and told him to read them in chronological order.

Just throwing my reason for reading Dragondrum first out there... If you read The White Dragon before Dragondrum, Dragondrum kinda becomes a prequel.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

« Reply #34 on: Today at 04:42:43 PM »
Just throwing my reason for reading Dragondrum first out there... If you read The White Dragon before Dragondrum, Dragondrum kinda becomes a prequel.
Depends on which version of Piemur you like.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Online trdsf

« Reply #35 on: Today at 07:32:32 PM »
A lot of the non-theist reading I would have suggested is already here, as is some of the fiction.

To the latter, I'll add:

The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy series // Douglas Adams
The (core) Foundation trilogy / I, Robot (or better yet, The Complete Robot) / the Lije Baley trilogy // Isaac Asimov
The Nine Billion Names of God / Childhood's End // Arthur C Clarke
Stand on Zanzibar // John Brunner
Cat's Cradle // Kurt Vonnegut
Contact // Carl Sagan (so much better than the movie, and I liked the movie)
Brave New World // Aldous Huxley
the Holmes canon // Arthur Conan Doyle
the Dr. Thorndyke series / R Austin Freeman
Sherlock Holmes of Baker Street // William S. Baring-Gould
The Physicists / The Visit // Friedrich Dürrenmatt
The Illuminatus! Trilogy // Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea

Under non-fiction, let me add:

Gödel Escher Bach / Metamagical Themas / The Mind's I // Douglas Hofstadter
The Ancestor's Tale / The Selfish Gene / The Blind Watchmaker // Richard Dawkins
Cosmos / The Demon-Haunted World // Carl Sagan
Brave New World Revisited // Aldous Huxley
A Brief History of Time // Stephen Hawking
Six Easy Pieces and Six Not-So-Easy Pieces / Perfectly Reasonable Deviations // Richard Feynman
The Secret Art of Dr Seuss / Dr Seuss Goes to War // Theodore Geisel
What If?: Serious Scientific Answers to Absurd Hypothetical Questions // Randall Munroe
A Year at the Movies // Kevin Murphy
The Fireside Watergate // Nicholas von Hoffman
Inside Music // Karl Haas

That might give you something to chew on.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan