Cruz:Opposition To Same-Sex Marriage Will Be 'Front And Center' In 2016 Campaign

Started by Munch, June 29, 2015, 12:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on June 29, 2015, 06:25:38 PM
From what I understand of it, hillary will just be a follow on from obama, they both seem to have that same approach, just tell the popular voters what they want to hear, and change to suit it.

I've often wondered what it must be like to be a politician. People change. I get that it's important to run on a platform and then stick to it as best you can depending on the situation, but still. I don't think people should ever stop reevaluating their opinions, because to do otherwise would be to close one's mind. I know for sure I'm not the same person I was 8 years ago. But since then, I joined and left the Army, got married, moved across the country and met people from all walks of life along the way, and I'm proud to say I'm a better person today for it. Yet if I were a politician, I would only be allowed to be myself as I was 8 years ago, and I think that's also a scary prospect.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mermaid

I always thought the Obama/Biden ticket was not truthful about their support of marriage equality because their campaign handlers didn't want to tackle that issue at the time. I don't think anyone changed.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

This is subterfuge from Cruz because he knows he fucked himself time and time again with his pandering in the senate.  He stands no chance of election and the notion of kicking SCOTUS to the curb especially when the gop already has the stacked deck is going to go over like a granite balloon. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

platatomi

Talk about contorting the constitution to meet your political goals.

Let 'em have at it. They will shoot themselves in the foot once more and boost our chances.

platatomi

"The Supreme Court's decision has made 2016 a referendum on repealing every single word of Obamacare,"

2012?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hydra009

Quote from: platatomi on July 01, 2015, 12:55:19 PM
"The Supreme Court's decision has made 2016 a referendum on repealing every single word of Obamacare,"

2012?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!
They're butthurt about the court's ruling on the ACA and seek to repeal it.  It's sort of a stupid statement because they were already deadset on repealing it, so it's not like the SCOTUS ruling changed anything for them.

platatomi

Quote from: Hydra009 on July 01, 2015, 01:01:14 PM
They're butthurt about the court's ruling on the ACA and seek to repeal it.  It's sort of a stupid statement because they were already deadset on repealing it, so it's not like the SCOTUS ruling changed anything for them.

I just can't believe how these guys come up with this stuff. Remember how their plan was to make Obama a "one term president", and the whole 2012 election was a referendum on the ACA? Now 2016 is the referendum and Obama isn't even running!

The Skeletal Atheist

I've been very happy with the way the Republicans have been reacting to the gay marriage decision. I've been very happy with the Republicans in general. It's almost as if they are making a conscious decision to fuck over their party.

I honestly can't wait for the days when Republicans try to mitigate their role in opposing gay marriage. I'll be there to remind them, and younger generations of exactly what they did.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Johan

QuoteTexas Sen. Ted Cruz intends to make his opposition to the Supreme Court's decision last week to legalize same-sex marriage nationwide "front and center" in his presidential campaign.
In other words, he knows he hasn't got the slightest chance in hell of ever winning the presidential nomination much less the election. So he's only using this presidential bid as a way to help bolster his reelection to the senate.

I have to think that's what this is. I mean yeah ok he's a senator, which is to say he probably isn't that bright. But the fact that he is a senator means he must understand more than the average bear when it comes to how elections work and how to win them. So he has to understand that marriage equality is what the majority of the people in this country want therefore making it impossible for any candidate to win if this is their platform. However I'm quite sure the majority of his current constituents in Texas would be quite happy to elect a senator that wants to ban marriage equality. What better way to win them over and get them to vote for you next time than to stage an ill-fated presidential run based on the positions they would want.

IOW good for him. I'm sure he'll enjoy his next term as a senator.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Savior2006

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on July 05, 2015, 11:13:07 AM
I've been very happy with the way the Republicans have been reacting to the gay marriage decision. I've been very happy with the Republicans in general. It's almost as if they are making a conscious decision to fuck over their party.

I honestly can't wait for the days when Republicans try to mitigate their role in opposing gay marriage. I'll be there to remind them, and younger generations of exactly what they did.

I like it when Republicans want to talk about the "history of the racism of the Democratic party" and completely skip over any and all Democratic support for the Civil Rights Act.

On the subject of gay marriage, I had one guy tell me that the Democrats have shot themselves in the foot now that gay marriage isn't banned. Now gay people will have no reason to vote for Democrats, because they already got what they wanted from them.

I mentioned to him the utter stupidity of that statement. Gay people are not going to do a complete 180 and start voting for the same idiots yapping and flapping about fire and brimstone.

But yes, in the future, we can definitely count on Republicans standing up in front of a camera and saying something to the effect of "Democrats don't care about gay people and never did. Please don't look at any of the religious idiots we've been parading around for the past X years. They don't count because they make us look bad."
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

trdsf

And in other news, Ted Cruz gives up on any hope of being elected in 2016.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Savior2006

Quote from: trdsf on July 05, 2015, 11:27:39 PM
And in other news, Ted Cruz gives up on any hope of being elected in 2016.

Another turd down the toilet.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Atheon

Nah, he's still there in the running. But there's no way that christerbot pipsqueak could win.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

platatomi

I can't believe how idiotic trump has been acting. Somewhere I heard it suggested that if he were a secret Democratic operative trying to sabotage the Republican party, he would behave no different. True that.