News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Karmic Justice, Texas Style

Started by stromboli, March 03, 2013, 02:52:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/01/us/te ... html?_r=2&

QuoteIn the fiscal crunch of 2011, the Legislature cut the state's family-planning budget by two-thirds, with some lawmakers claiming that they were defunding the "abortion industry." Researchers at the University of Texas at Austin, found that more than 50 family-planning clinics had closed statewide as a result.

Now, amid estimates that the cuts could lead to 24,000 additional 2014-15 births at a cost to taxpayers of $273 million,  lawmakers are seeking a way to restore financing without ruffling feathers.

Several state senators have suggested earmarking $100 million in general revenue to the Community Primary Care Services Program, to be used for women's health services. The program contracts community health clinics and nonprofit organizations to provide a range of services for poor Texans who do not qualify for other state health programs. The additional money could increase the number of patients served annually in the program to 234,000 from 64,000 and nearly double the number of participating health care organizations, to 100 from 57, according to the Department of State Health Services.

Health care advocates say the proposal to add state money to a primary-care program could broaden the scope of services and the range of women eligible for assistance.

That whole "get rid of birth control funding" to save money has come home to roost. Had they simply retained Planned Parenthood, this would not have happened.

AllPurposeAtheist

Nothing says save money on abortion like generations of foodstamp recipients, medicaid and outrageous medical bills for a MINIMUM of 18 years when you toss in defunding education in the state.. Yessiree Guvner Tricky Ricky!
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Alaric I

Why are we not funding more for sex education?  If we could get people to think about this stuff before all this then governments could save a tone of money.  A condom and a pill are cheaper than an abortion.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Alaric I"Why are we not funding more for sex education?  If we could get people to think about this stuff before all this then governments could save a tone of money.  A condom and a pill are cheaper than an abortion.
Oh, everyone knows fucking is immoral.. That's why they have a cocksucker as governor in Texas.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "Alaric I"Why are we not funding more for sex education?  If we could get people to think about this stuff before all this then governments could save a tone of money.  A condom and a pill are cheaper than an abortion.
Why fund a "program" that's already failed every time it's been tried?  (One definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Plu

QuoteWhy fund a "program" that's already failed every time it's been tried?

Is this supposed to be sarcasm or am I missing part of the story? Sex education is proven to be the most effective way of preventing pregnancy.

Thumpalumpacus

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"Yessiree Guvner Tricky Ricky!

The title you're looking for is "Governor Goodhair".
<insert witty aphorism here>

Colanth

Quote from: "Plu"
QuoteWhy fund a "program" that's already failed every time it's been tried?

Is this supposed to be sarcasm or am I missing part of the story? Sex education is proven to be the most effective way of preventing pregnancy.
This kind of "sex education" - basically "just say no" - has proven to be a good way to increase the STI and pregnancy rates.  You want to decrease teen-age pregnancy the cheapest and most effective way?  Put open barrels of condoms at the exits of the schools.  VERY few high school students don't know what they are or how to use them.  Many of them have no access to condoms, or are too embarrassed to buy them.

Johan

QuoteNow, amid estimates that the cuts could lead to 24,000 additional 2014-15 births at a cost to taxpayers of $273 million
So how's that abortiony stoppy thing workin' out for ya?

Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Johan"
QuoteNow, amid estimates that the cuts could lead to 24,000 additional 2014-15 births at a cost to taxpayers of $273 million

[ Image ]

:rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  :rollin:  OMG  :rollin:
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Johan"

[ Image ]

made this for you
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

GurrenLagann

-sigh- Texas.....

This reminds me, there's a Planned Parenthood a few miles from my house. Outside of it, EVERYDAY there's a group of Christians protesting its existence, holding signs like "Pray to End Abortions". Every time I drive by, I yell at them. Assholes.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Mermaid

And these are the same people with the bumper stickers that I have seen on way too many vehicles while in Texas:
"If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em".
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

And one way to not "breed 'em" is to get an abortion if you get pregnant when you don't want to be.