US Supreme Court: Gay marriage legal nationwide!!!

Started by Atheon, June 26, 2015, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Clarence Thomas' dissent makes me want to vomit:

When I picture him conjuring this up, I don't imagine him as a judge in stately robes, but rather, I imagine him as some pervert in a seedy strip joint, licking a the ear of a sobbing single mother wearing 6 inch clear shoes who is just trying to put food on the table and whispering "No one can take away your dignity... Now, here's $20, and I want the extra good lap dance now."
He barely qualifies as a human.  What a waste he is.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Atheon

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 26, 2015, 01:57:14 PM
First the confederate flag, then gay marriage.  This has been a rough month for conservatives.
And Obamacare being upheld.

Maybe some virulent far-right nutcases will suffer brain embolisms. I won't shed any tears.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on June 26, 2015, 02:03:38 PM

Maybe some virulent far-right nutcases will suffer brain embolisms. I won't shed any tears.

Their going to get so many brain tumours their end up looking like the sloth from the goonies.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

TomFoolery

Quote from: Atheon on June 26, 2015, 02:03:38 PM

http://www.mercurynews.com/health/ci_28380608/californias-vaccine-bill-state-assembly-passes-legislation-outlawing

This happened too. No more religious exemptions for vaccines in California.

June 2015 has given me some hope for this country. Before I get all pessimistic wondering how whether my hope will be squandered quickly or slowly, I'll just enjoy it and be chill.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Termin

I could be very well wrong on this, but Obama-care being legal as per SCOTUS decision does not make it a right, therefore if the republicans get into power, they could repeal it. So it may not be over just yet.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

trdsf

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Clarence Thomas' dissent makes me want to vomit:

When I picture him conjuring this up, I don't imagine him as a judge in stately robes, but rather, I imagine him as some pervert in a seedy strip joint, licking a the ear of a sobbing single mother wearing 6 inch clear shoes who is just trying to put food on the table and whispering "No one can take away your dignity... Now, here's $20, and I want the extra good lap dance now."
And the further irony is, Thomas himself is in a marriage the legality of which was decided by a Supreme Court decision within my own lifetime: it hasn't yet been fifty years since there were still laws, mostly in the South (where Thomas is from), banning interracial marriage in much the same terms and using much the same language as the anti-gay movement still uses today.

And if you needed a clearer reminder of why a Republican in the White House is dangerous, this is it.  Who do you want nominated to the court if Thomas retires, or Scalia... or Ginsburg?  Because while replacing those first two with another wingnut wouldn't have changed things today, replacing that third would.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

trdsf

Quote from: Termin on June 26, 2015, 02:15:59 PM
I could be very well wrong on this, but Obama-care being legal as per SCOTUS decision does not make it a right, therefore if the republicans get into power, they could repeal it. So it may not be over just yet.
You are perfectly correct.  What the Supreme Court did was uphold the mechanism that allows the ACA to operate, not declare a Constitutional right to basic medical care.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gerard

Come to think of it, the people who made laws and amendments in several states, banning same sex marriage or making it unconstitutional in the last decade, dug their own graves in a legal sense. It was those regulations that gave the proponents of same sex marriage something to litigate against. And today with success!

Gerard

SGOS

During the NPR interview that I referred to earlier, they included a rather comprehensive discussion of human rights in general, and pointed out that giving a right to one group usually takes a right away from another.  It's hard to figure out exactly what right conservatives lose in this decision, but if you talked with a conservative, he's likely to point out something about how heterosexuals are the aggrieved party.  But in the words of Justice Kennedy, it is doubtful that he could offer a compelling argument (which at least from my point of view throughout the entire debate, has been the case).

NPR mentioned the case of freedom for slaves, which opposed the American right to own property, which was a closely guarded right intended by the original constitution.  Well, that seems like a stretch now, but apparently it didn't seem that way during abolition for obvious reasons, I suppose.  I haven't spent a lot of time thinking about opposing rights, but NPR was probably correct with maybe a few exceptions.  Perhaps gay rights is one of the exceptions.

It's still mind boggling to me that gay marriage could be such a hard fought debate ending in a monumental Supreme Court decision.  How we ever got to that point is hard to fathom.  Much of it can be explained by the bigotry of religious indoctrination.  I keep thinking about that guy that once told me, "The only reason you believe gay marriage is OK, is because you don't believe in God."  That he made such an absurd comment dumbfounded me so much that I didn't even reply to it.  LOL

I doubt that I'll discuss this decision with any of my conservative friends.  While I'm joyful about the decision, I really don't feel like rubbing salt in anyone's wounds, and even trying to explain the human decency involved in it, I'm guessing that would amount to rubbing salt in a wound.

Poison Tree

Quote from: trdsf on June 26, 2015, 02:20:42 PM
And if you needed a clearer reminder of why a Republican in the White House is dangerous, this is it.  Who do you want nominated to the court if Thomas retires, or Scalia... or Ginsburg?  Because while replacing those first two with another wingnut wouldn't have changed things today, replacing that third would.
This is always my go to argument as to why I'll hold my nose and vote Democratic when confronted by someone who wants me to vote for some "better" party with no chance of winning or who says Democrats are just Republican-light.
"Observe that noses were made to wear spectacles; and so we have spectacles. Legs were visibly instituted to be breeched, and we have breeches" Voltaire�s Candide

Shiranu

Almost broke into tears at work, was hard to stay composed till I got to my car. Actually still kinda hard...

My facebook exploded with several people who would not shut up about, "How DAAAAAARE YOU celebrate this!".

To quote one genius...

"You fucking pricks, while you are out celebrating cock sucking ISIS killed 29 people. Go fuck yourself."

Oh Texas, you sure breed some great men. I left them on my facebook to laugh at their stupid republican bullshit, but this went to far. Ain't no one crossing my celebratory day :D.

"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

TomFoolery

Quote from: Shiranu on June 26, 2015, 04:46:58 PM
"You fucking pricks, while you are out celebrating cock sucking ISIS killed 29 people. Go fuck yourself."
While we're at it, 1600 people will die of malaria today and 9 people died in a plane crash in Alaska. Oh wait, that's right, all kinds of things happen every day: some good, some great, some bad, some heinous. We can't dwell on all the shit all the time, otherwise, what would be the point? Bunch of Debbie Downers.

Quote from: Shiranu on June 26, 2015, 04:46:58 PMOh Texas, you sure breed some great men. I left them on my facebook to laugh at their stupid republican bullshit, but this went to far. Ain't no one crossing my celebratory day :D.
I often feel ashamed to be Texan. I mean, I love the state I grew up in for a lot of reasons, but I will admit it does a lot of shit that makes it hard. I will say I'm proud I'm from Dallas, one of three counties that announced ahead of time that it would uphold an affirmative decision by the Supreme Court without delay and began issuing marriage licenses within hours of the decision. Many parts of Texas are backwoods Bible-thumping ignorant, and while Dallas has its fair share of those types, it's also got a decent amount of decent people too, (and surprisingly, a pretty active gay scene).
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Savior2006

It's been a good day. I literally am getting off right now to all the typical conservative whining.

One of my friends from high school was whining about it (This once great country is going down the shithole and blah blah blah), and I had to physically stop myself from posting "It's Raining Men" on his feed.

This guy, he is really a friend; but I found out today that he's a Confederate apologist and I got to hear the same old tired white conservative bullshit about how the Confederates leaving the Union had nothing to do with slavery.

I didn't get mad, I didn't scream. I merely threw the Declarations (plural) of Secession and the Cornerstone Speech all in his face got to watch him fumble around.

But anyways back to gay marriage, I of course went to CF and the conservative anguish will keep me turned on for a good week at the very least.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.