US Supreme Court: Gay marriage legal nationwide!!!

Started by Atheon, June 26, 2015, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Munch

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Termin

Quote from: Atheon on June 26, 2015, 10:51:41 AM
I'm enjoying the comments pouring in on Fix News:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/06/26/supreme-court-same-sex-couples-can-marry-in-all-50-states/#

I tried to read the comments , but I just can't read that much stupid that quickly.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Termin

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

Mike Cl

Gotta love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I'd like to offer that christian minister who threatened to burn himself to death my book of matches.  And I'll bring the hot dogs and marshmallows!  Conservative heads will explode!  Maybe Pat Robertson will turn red and die of a heart attack--oh, wait, he doesn't have a heart.  Love it, love it, love it!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TomFoolery

Clarence Thomas' dissent makes me want to vomit:

“The corollary of that principle is that human dignity cannot be taken away by the government,” Thomas wrote in his dissent. “Slaves did not lose their dignity (any more than they lost their humanity) because the government allowed them to be enslaved.”

When I picture him conjuring this up, I don't imagine him as a judge in stately robes, but rather, I imagine him as some pervert in a seedy strip joint, licking a the ear of a sobbing single mother wearing 6 inch clear shoes who is just trying to put food on the table and whispering "No one can take away your dignity... Now, here's $20, and I want the extra good lap dance now."
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

Munch

Quote from: Green Bottle on June 26, 2015, 11:42:40 AM
Well done the US,    about time.

the irony being some people on other threads think america is now more progressive then europe. Considering how american law works compared to european countries, uk, scotland and ireland (not northern island) got there first.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Munch on June 26, 2015, 11:44:40 AM
the irony being some people on other threads think america is now more progressive then europe. Considering how american law works compared to european countries, uk, scotland and ireland (not northern island) got there first.

I know. Americans have very high opinions of themselves as being the last bastion of freedom in all the world.

I once had a boss argue with me over quality of life in other countries. I had made some remark about a news story saying Finland had the most liberal rights for women in the world, followed by all of the other Scandinavian countries and pretty much all of Europe. The U.S. was pretty far down on the list and he refused to believe it. He kept saying "But women in America can vote. They can go to college. They can hold public office." He had a hard time believing that women in Finland (and almost all other countries in the world) could do those things also.

Of course America is doing better on gay rights issues than some other countries, but it's definitely a mistake to consider that we're progressive simply because we don't allow homosexuals to be stoned to death, or that we're ahead of anyone on allowing them to get married.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

SGOS

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 11:58:39 AM
I know. Americans have very high opinions of themselves as being the last bastion of freedom in all the world.

I once had a boss argue with me over quality of life in other countries. I had made some remark about a news story saying Finland had the most liberal rights for women in the world, followed by all of the other Scandinavian countries and pretty much all of Europe. The U.S. was pretty far down on the list and he refused to believe it.

My conservative cousin has the same self centered belief about US healthcare being vastly superior to Canada and Europe.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Munch on June 26, 2015, 11:44:40 AM

Most people from UK think the same about their own country. Scandinavian countries are more progressive than European countries or the UK.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Munch

Quote from: drunkenshoe on June 26, 2015, 12:28:55 PM
Most people from UK think the same about their own country. Scandinavian countries are more progressive than European countries or the UK.

oh I agree fully, denmark being one of the most ahead of all others.

trdsf

Quote from: Green Bottle on June 26, 2015, 11:42:40 AM
Well done the US,    about time.
It's nice to know that I live in a more civilized country than I thought.  I blogged this morning before turning in that I hoped when I woke up, it would be in a better country.

I did.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Termin

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 26, 2015, 11:36:44 AM
Clarence Thomas' dissent makes me want to vomit:

When I picture him conjuring this up, I don't imagine him as a judge in stately robes, but rather, I imagine him as some pervert in a seedy strip joint, licking a the ear of a sobbing single mother wearing 6 inch clear shoes who is just trying to put food on the table and whispering "No one can take away your dignity... Now, here's $20, and I want the extra good lap dance now."

In a sense he is correct..

Oxford dictionary - "A sense of pride in oneself; self-respect"

But he completely misses the point , anyone , in any situation can have self respect for themselves,however  that's not what this was about, it was never about Gays having dignity, it was about them being treated with dignity.

Hydra009

First the confederate flag, then gay marriage.  This has been a rough month for conservatives.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 26, 2015, 01:57:14 PM
First the confederate flag, then gay marriage.  This has been a rough month for conservatives.
Yeah, it has.  Who's up for piling on??!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?