News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Christianity a cult?

Started by Teaspoon Shallow, March 10, 2013, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

I am sorry but this is a stupid question. YES every religion starts out as a cult. The only difference between a cult and a religion are numbers.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

ApostateLois

I agree that a cult tends to have a LOT more control over their members than a mainstream religion. Cults restrict contact with outsiders, making it very difficult for members to maintain contact with even their closest family members and friends. Eventually, all contact is lost, and the individual is completely under the control of the leader and his minions. Cults keep their members busy with praying, meditating, fasting, and other activities that are likely to induce a mental state more conducive to controlling the individual; in other words, they do everything possible to break the individual's resistance and make them more obedient. Male leaders may require all female members to marry them. They may restrict food and water rations; not allow members outdoors or in public without a chaperone; require particular clothing and hair styles; and strictly regulate every waking moment--again, all the purpose of isolating a person and brainwashing them into slavery.

Mainstream Christianity isn't like this. Yes, most people do become brainwashed into believing the dumbest things, but they can leave their church and attend a different one, or leave the religion altogether. They are not generally forced to live in fenced-in communes, where outsiders cannot enter, nor are they forbidden from seeing family members--not even unbelieving family and friends. In fact, one of the commands of Christianity is to go into the world and make converts. There are some sects within Christianity that certainly qualify as cults; but the religion as a whole doesn't really fit the description, IMO.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"

Teaspoon Shallow

Quote from: "Brian37"I am sorry but this is a stupid question. YES every religion starts out as a cult. The only difference between a cult and a religion are numbers.

You may consider this a stupid question but did you notice the divided opinions of your peers are?

I never considered Christianity a cult previously, but this bible passage struck a strange chord with me.
Thanks to all who contributed.

cult
/k?lt/
Noun
1. A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
2. A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

Definition 1., sure.
Definition 2. has now got me thinking that depending on your perspective then it does meet this criteria too.

Luke 14:26
New International Version (NIV)
26 "If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

If my kids advised that they were leaving and decided to hate me so they could become someone disciple I would consider that to be very friggin strange and sinister.  Very cult like.

In localised areas where Christians are the minority then that too fits the description.  In the future if Christianity slips in popularity behind another religion or lack of religion, then will it one day been seen by the general public as a cult?

Re-reading the bible with a different mindset makes me wonder why / how I was once convinced it was the word of a god. :-k

Jutter

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "pr126"How many cults murder (by divine law) those who leave the cult?
The only one I know of is Islam.
Maybe the KGB also counts.
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Davka

The verse you cite is certainly useful to Christian-based cults, but most Christians don't actually follow the Bible. In fact, nobody ever followed the Bible - if they did, they'd be a psychotic wreck inside of a week. So while the Bible might contain all sorts of cultish nonsense, that doesn't make current mainstream Christianity a cult. Bronze-age YHWHism was certainly a cult, and some strains of Christianity have always been cults, sometimes more than others. But today? Most Christians use the Bible to justify their lives, not as a guide to living.

_Xenu_

Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

baddogma

A cult is a religion with no political power.
"The only way you can be certain that there are good people in the world is to BE one".
-My mother

Morality is doing what is right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, no matter what is right.

_Xenu_

Quote from: "baddogma"A cult is a religion with no political power.
No, a cult is an organization that wields control over its members well beyond whats considered socially normal.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "_Xenu_"
No, a cult is an organization that wields control over its members well beyond whats considered socially normal.

The problem is, the fact that cults (in the case of most, simply an unfamiliar religion in that particular region) are not socially accepted would appear to be the very reason that many of them have "control over its members beyond what is considered socially normal". And basically all religions have gone through that. The Romans (and non-Christians Jews) certainly considered Christianity to be the then-equivalent of a cult, with the Romans even joking that Christians ate babies (the irony!)
In other words, social ostracism and unacceptance are the only distinctions of a cult that I can see.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

St Giordano Bruno

Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

WitchSabrina

Why is a religion with no political power a cult; and a religion with political power Not?
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Fidel_Castronaut

I think most people would argue that something like Scientology is a cult, and they wield considerable political power relative to their size in some areas (even here in the UK sadly).
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

pr126

I would like to see a list of those "Christian states".
Or better still, the command in the bible to kill those leaving Christianity.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Teaspoon Shallow"Matthew 10:37
King James Version (KJV)
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

If anyone said something in line with that today, they would be seen as a cult member trying to alienate new members.
Even if the person preaching this claimed to be divine, we (society) would acknowledge this as harmful.

Is Christianity a cult?

I'm in the middle of reading the book written by the niece of David Miscavage about her life in the Church of Scientology. They heavily push church over everyone else including friends and family, even forcing Sea Org families to split up in different parts of the country to the point the kids and parents hardly ever see each other or talk to each other and are made to feel like they're wrong for missing each other.

So yeah, Christianity in its purest form is a cult. Very few Christian sects still take that verse to heart, though.

* http://www.amazon.com/Jenna-Miscavige-Hill/e/B0094KVGVE It's a good book and quite an interesting take on growing up amongst the highest levels of the church. I've read a lot about Scientology before, but some of the stuff in here is still blowing my mind.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "Davka"
Quote from: "pr126"How many cults murder (by divine law) those who leave the cult?
The only one I know of is Islam.

Plenty including Christianity completely turn their backs on and outcast those who leave and have murdered in the past. Read some stories in the archives of this forum of people who lost friends and family for being an atheist. Islam still gets away with real murder because divine law = legal law in most Muslim countries.
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard