Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is Christianity a cult?

Started by Teaspoon Shallow, March 10, 2013, 06:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teaspoon Shallow

Matthew 10:37
King James Version (KJV)
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

If anyone said something in line with that today, they would be seen as a cult member trying to alienate new members.
Even if the person preaching this claimed to be divine, we (society) would acknowledge this as harmful.

Is Christianity a cult?

WitchSabrina

I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

pr126

Yes, it is.
But why such narrow vision? Doesn't this apply to all religious beliefs?

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "pr126"Yes, it is.
But why such narrow vision? Doesn't this apply to all religious beliefs?

Except Wicca, PR.  Wicca lacks the parameters required to qualify for a cult.
Funny thing is this  = almost every other religion calls WICCA a cult.  Go figure. LOL
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Jason78

Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

mnmelt

To me the only difference between "religion" and a "cult" are the number of members...

Get enough of the general population to go along with you and you're a religion..
Look at Scientology!! Mormons.. started as cults and have gained acceptance with the increase of their members..
Jesus loves me but I still make him wear a condom

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Teaspoon Shallow"Matthew 10:37
King James Version (KJV)
37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

If anyone said something in line with that today, they would be seen as a cult member trying to alienate new members.
Even if the person preaching this claimed to be divine, we (society) would acknowledge this as harmful.

Is Christianity a cult?

Yep.  It doesn't sound that far from scientology.  Let's rearrange that a little....

He that loveth father or mother more than scientology is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than scientology is not worthy of me and is a suppressive person, probably 1:1 on the tone scale, and therefore though shalt disconnect from them to ensure thy money continueth to flow into our coffers.  Love and kisses, David Miscavige.

:rolleyes:

Johan

Like many things in life, the best way to understand the difference between a religion and a cult is to use beer.

Small micro brew pub: Cult.
Anheuser Busch: Religion.

Not all micro brews become commonly available national brands, just a few. Not all cults become religions, just a few. But they're all beer in the case of the liquid elixer and they're all bullshit in the case of that other stuff.

I suggest a field trip to several of your local fine drinking establishments if you need more info.  :-D
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

NitzWalsh

You can find definitions of the word cult that can apply to pretty much anything.

Here's one: great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially  : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad.

I am devoted to my cat, he will die one day so he's a fad, so I'm a in a cat cult.
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
~ Arthur C. Clarke

_Xenu_

No. The difference between a cult and a religion doesn't come down to size or relative newness, but the amount of control an organization has over its members.
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

leo

Christianity is a sick cult .
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

GurrenLagann

The only seemingly difference between a cult and a religion is numbers, and acceptance by society. Cults tend to have it harder precisely because of those reasons.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Davka

Quote from: "_Xenu_"No. The difference between a cult and a religion doesn't come down to size or relative newness, but the amount of control an organization has over its members.
Exactly. Cults won't let members leave - or if they do leave, they insist that all relationships between cult members and ex-cultists be cut off. The potential for losing everyone you love is a huge factor in the control that cults have on members.

There are some Christian cults, but mainstream Christianity is, at worst, cult-like. Ex-Christians (like me) are allowed to remain in contact with Church members, and there are no threats other than the obvious metaphysical threat of Hell (which is not much of a threat to non-believers) leveled towards members who might decide to leave.

Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult. Some of the smaller non-denominational Churches are cults. The Moonies are a cult (Hell, they even controlled who their members married and where they lived). Many of the more extreme sects of Orthodox Judaism are cults. But Christianity as a whole is not a cult, it's just another flavor of woo.

pr126

How many cults murder (by divine law) those who leave the cult?

Davka

Quote from: "pr126"How many cults murder (by divine law) those who leave the cult?
The only one I know of is Islam.