News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello!

Started by biblebeltbetsy, February 15, 2013, 09:15:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biblebeltbetsy

Hello everyone!

I'm Betsy, a 23 year old college student living in Utah (but a native Texan). As a former Catholicish/Baptist/Mormon, I'm still adjusting to my life without religion.

A little background...I attended Catholic school and church from age 4 to 8, though I was never "officially" Catholic. I then attended a Baptist church from about 15 to 17, then my family and I were essentially run out of the church by our corrupt pastor and his cronies, which was a devastating blow to my faith. In my first few years of college (yes, I know, I've been in school too long!), I began my search for the "one true church". I joined the Mormon church less than a year ago at the urging of my mormon boyfriend, and was out about two weeks later. My intense study of the Book of Mormon and the church's teachings is what led me out. Luckily for me, boyfriend is pretty laid back and didn't really care that I left. He's a good guy  :)  I then applied the same intense study to the Bible, and paired with current events, I realized that I could not believe in the Christian version of god.

So here I am, just kind of doing my thing, trying to figure out how to live now that I'm free of the constraints of religion. Can't wait to get to know everyone! :)

PopeyesPappy

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

HinduAtheist

Welcome to the forums Betsy.
"By all means let\'s be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our minds drop out." - Richard Dawkins

WitchSabrina

Welcome Betsy.  Hope you're happy here.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

wolf39us

College eh?  Major?

biblebeltbetsy

I'm majoring in Psychology, with a minor in English Lit. After I graduate in August, I'll be getting a second bachelors in Communication Disorders, then go to grad school for Speech Pathology.

Sleeper

Quote from: "biblebeltbetsy"I'm majoring in Psychology, with a minor in English Lit. After I graduate in August, I'll be getting a second bachelors in Communication Disorders, then go to grad school for Speech Pathology.
It's true what they say: Atheists are grumpy downers who never contribute any real worth to society.

Welcome.
Because LaPlace still holds sway.

NeoLogic26

Welcome. You've had quite the buffet, it seems like.
"For me, I am driven by two main philosophies: know more today about the world than I knew yesterday and lessen the suffering of others. You'd be surprised how far that gets you." - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Thumpalumpacus

Hiyas, whereabouts in Texas were you?  I'm a D/FW native, now living in Austin.
<insert witty aphorism here>

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "biblebeltbetsy"Hello everyone!

I'm Betsy, a 23 year old college student living in Utah (but a native Texan). As a former Catholicish/Baptist/Mormon, I'm still adjusting to my life without religion.

A little background...I attended Catholic school and church from age 4 to 8, though I was never "officially" Catholic. I then attended a Baptist church from about 15 to 17, then my family and I were essentially run out of the church by our corrupt pastor and his cronies, which was a devastating blow to my faith. In my first few years of college (yes, I know, I've been in school too long!), I began my search for the "one true church". I joined the Mormon church less than a year ago at the urging of my mormon boyfriend, and was out about two weeks later. My intense study of the Book of Mormon and the church's teachings is what led me out. Luckily for me, boyfriend is pretty laid back and didn't really care that I left. He's a good guy  :)  I then applied the same intense study to the Bible, and paired with current events, I realized that I could not believe in the Christian version of god.

So here I am, just kind of doing my thing, trying to figure out how to live now that I'm free of the constraints of religion. Can't wait to get to know everyone! :)

*gulp*  That's a handful, Betsy.  Welcome, welcome.  Hope you're happy here.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

AllPurposeAtheist

Communication disorders.. Wow..that could cover the entire buybull. Note the xtian faith misspells buybull as bible. It's origins go back to when they began selling bull..

Oh yeah, welcome. You must first post naked pictures of yourelf according to the other perverts here and I'm ok if you are only wearing a thong.. ** note my ability to be tolerant of new members. :D
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Plu

stromboli

Welcome. Sounds like the journey I made in reverse.

Brian37

Quote from: "biblebeltbetsy"Hello everyone!

Was it the whole planetary motif or the magic underwear that made you think rightfully that Mormons were as butt nuggery  silly as all the rest?

Because we all know Joseph Smith really did find golden tablets in the North East and he was a prophet of god. :P
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

aitm

Welcome to our little home. It is only fair to warn you that this forum has some rather lecherous old men who would attempt to trick you into posting pictures of yourself. As head of security I can assure you once your picture is submitted as part of your membership requirements there will be no other need to send pictures to anyone..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust