Something For Those That We Are Special As Humans To Think About.

Started by Solitary, May 16, 2015, 10:01:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Goddammit! I am UNIQUE!  So what there are probably 1 million ants in my backyard!....and uhhh...a few billion other people on the planet..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Green Bottle

God doesnt exist, but if he did id tell him to ''Fuck Off''

stromboli

This is why religious people hate him. He expounds on ideas that enlighten and expand our minds. What a terrible man.

SGOS

He never fails to surprise me with his ability to explain things in ordinary language.

Mike Cl

Quote from: stromboli on May 17, 2015, 09:26:31 AM
This is why religious people hate him. He expounds on ideas that enlighten and expand our minds. What a terrible man.
Great video--great man!  I love that we are starstuff and that starstuff is us.  This reminds me of a old Star Trek episode in which the Enterprise is being played with by a force from a nearby planet.  They investigate and get caught up in the force.  In the end it turns out that that planet is a play room for a cosmic race's child and he was playing childish pranks on the Enterprise. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

This might be one of the most pleasurably startling unexpected moments in a TV episode, when Neil Degrasse and Bill Nye show up for a very brief encounter with the universally renowned Dr. Rodney McKay who brings a date to a scientific symposium of the most brilliant minds in the world.  But as usual, McKay (arguably the most intelligent man in the galaxy) once again ends up saving the universe from annihilation, when a demonstration of an "energy bridge between two parallel universes" gets out of hand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN_wAVP043g

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 17, 2015, 10:01:10 AM
Great video--great man!  I love that we are starstuff and that starstuff is us.  This reminds me of a old Star Trek episode in which the Enterprise is being played with by a force from a nearby planet.  They investigate and get caught up in the force.  In the end it turns out that that planet is a play room for a cosmic race's child and he was playing childish pranks on the Enterprise. 
I can almost remember the name of that petulant child who spends the whole episode tormenting the crew of the enterprise, and how he starts to whine when his "parents" make him stop.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2015, 10:28:53 AM
I can almost remember the name of that petulant child who spends the whole episode tormenting the crew of the enterprise, and how he starts to whine when his "parents" make him stop.
I can picture the child--but I can't remember his name either.  And I have forgotten the name of the episode--one of my favs--might be fun to find a youtube for it--if I can remember the name of the show.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Trelane was his name.  The Episode was The Squire of Gothos.

"Stop that Trelane."

"Aww, I was just playing.  Just playing."

"Come along now, Trelane."

"I was just playing."

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 17, 2015, 11:07:57 AM
Trelane was his name.  The Episode was The Squire of Gothos.

"Stop that Trelane."

"Aww, I was just playing.  Just playing."

"Come along now, Trelane."

"I was just playing."

Thanks for the iinfo.  Yeah, I do remember those lines. :))  Loved that episode.

city

Love this guy, an interesting train of thought.

I've thought at depth about how not very special we are but I've been stuck on an arrival from being waylaid by creationists accusing me of arrogance that I don't see life as a gift from god and would therefore have no humility and thankfulness. Same old exhausting bs. (Not assuming humans are the top dog and that the universe's entire story is centred around the benefit of humans is far less arrogant).

This video was enjoyable and refreshing for me.