News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Fallen of WW2 Chart Video

Started by Shiranu, June 10, 2015, 10:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://vimeo.com/128373915

It's one thing to see the numbers, it's another to have it put into something more tangable like a graph. The Russian part is just chilling.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

Interesting stuff, but if you're trying to sell a Hollywood blockbuster based on myth you definitely don't want people watching this because. ..uhhh..Tom Hanks n stuff. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

No wonder Sigmund Freud said we have a death wish.  :sad: :cry:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GSOgymrat

Very interesting and well done. I've felt fortunate and continue to appreciate that I have lived in the Long Peace. I don't think some people really appreciate how bad things were during certain periods in the past. I think because my father lived through the Great Depression and WW2 I feel connected to these events.

I was thinking earlier today how Americans would react if the draft was reinstated. Drafting both men and women for compulsory military service would be a real shock both for young adults and their parents. I read an article recently how the US military is seen by civilians increasingly as a separate subculture. A draft would certainly change that perception.

TomFoolery

It was eye-opening, and I rather liked the sort of positive spin about peace towards the end, if it can be called that.

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 11, 2015, 03:36:12 PM
I read an article recently how the US military is seen by civilians increasingly as a separate subculture. A draft would certainly change that perception.

A lot of that is propagated by the military community itself. When I was in the Army, I encountered a sort of cliquishness that almost bordered on self-imposed martyrdom. I suppose that was bound to happen in an all-volunteer force during the war or terror, where deaths were few but highly visible and graphic in the age of social media and the 24 hour news cycle.

I don't think a draft would help anything, particularly during peacetime. I served with a bunch of sulky terds who had enlisted pseudo-willingly during the surges of the mid-2000s because the Army would take anything with a pulse and it was offering $40,000 bonuses to get out of places like Bugsplat, Nevada. They didn't make ideal coworkers. Now extend that to a bunch of unwilling teens of the ADHD/iPhone/hipster generation and what you have is a recipe for someone to come invade us. Compulsory military service works works in Israel, but we're not Israel. Less than 25% of today's youth are physically, morally and educationally qualified to join any branch of the military.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

GSOgymrat

I do not want a draft and was merely wondering how this generation, compared to my father's, would respond. My father is 91 and was 16 when WW2 began.

Mike Cl

Quote from: GSOgymrat on June 11, 2015, 04:08:32 PM
I do not want a draft and was merely wondering how this generation, compared to my father's, would respond. My father is 91 and was 16 when WW2 began.
I'd love to see a draft instituted.  But it would have to be 100%--no deferments.  Serve 2 years in the military or some form of service for the country.  It would make for a better appreciation for this country.  And it would give everybody a stake in what is happening.  Or at least the potential for that would be there. 

And I think this generation if faced with a life or death situation like WWII, would respond just fine. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Solitary

So people want to serve their country involuntarily for politician's propaganda, and praise the Lord for the elimination of involuntary slavery. Makes perfect sense to me, nothing like being under the thumb of someone else's will instead of your own that can get you killed or make you go out and kill others because they are trying to kill you for the same reasons.  But, but, but, you are a filthy rotten coward if you don't, shame! Shame! Shame! Oh, I'm so proud of my dead daughter and son who were hero's and got medals, and my other son that has no face, and daughter who is a vegetable---thank god they are alive, it was a miracle. Are you people nuts?  :wall:

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2015, 04:23:39 PM
And I think this generation if faced with a life or death situation like WWII, would respond just fine.

I generally think so too, but not during peacetime, and especially not this (my) generation.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 11, 2015, 05:07:07 PM
I generally think so too, but not during peacetime, and especially not this (my) generation.
Yeah, I know that is a popular thing to say.  But who created this generation??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on June 11, 2015, 04:39:52 PM
So people want to serve their country involuntarily for politician's propaganda, and praise the Lord for the elimination of involuntary slavery. Makes perfect sense to me, nothing like being under the thumb of someone else's will instead of your own that can get you killed or make you go out and kill others because they are trying to kill you for the same reasons.  But, but, but, you are a filthy rotten coward if you don't, shame! Shame! Shame! Oh, I'm so proud of my dead daughter and son who were hero's and got medals, and my other son that has no face, and daughter who is a vegetable---thank god they are alive, it was a miracle. Are you people nuts?  :wall:

As I wrote what I said above, I could just see the foam forming on your mouth. :))))  Let me expand that idea a bit.  By service I would count things like VISTA, Peace Corps, fire fighting crews, CCC like organization that rebuilt infrastructure and the like.  Or the military if one preferred.  What I don't like about the all volunteer service is that it is easier for the old white men who control this country to simply go to war with little outcry from the public.  If there were a lot more Johnny and Suzy's in the military then mommy and daddy would pay a hell of a lot more attention to what was happening to them war wise.  The old white guys would have a harder time with going to war only to make the US corporate world rich.  I was drafted and hated the shit out of it--two weeks after I graduated from college I graduated into the Army.  What I resented more than anything  is that no Congressman's kids were drafted.  People of power could get out of it.  With my idea all would serve is some manner.

TomFoolery

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2015, 06:53:21 PM
Yeah, I know that is a popular thing to say.  But who created this generation??

Psychologists, video game consoles, television programming, single parent culture and mass media in general. :)

Mike Cl

Quote from: TomFoolery on June 11, 2015, 07:23:01 PM
Psychologists, video game consoles, television programming, single parent culture and mass media in general. :)
Yeah--The Greatest Generation.

Solitary

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 11, 2015, 07:00:35 PM
As I wrote what I said above, I could just see the foam forming on your mouth. :))))  Let me expand that idea a bit.  By service I would count things like VISTA, Peace Corps, fire fighting crews, CCC like organization that rebuilt infrastructure and the like.  Or the military if one preferred.  What I don't like about the all volunteer service is that it is easier for the old white men who control this country to simply go to war with little outcry from the public.  If there were a lot more Johnny and Suzy's in the military then mommy and daddy would pay a hell of a lot more attention to what was happening to them war wise.  The old white guys would have a harder time with going to war only to make the US corporate world rich.  I was drafted and hated the shit out of it--two weeks after I graduated from college I graduated into the Army.  What I resented more than anything  is that no Congressman's kids were drafted.  People of power could get out of it.  With my idea all would serve is some manner.
I had this same argument with Marylyn Vos Savant that said we should serve our country----just exactly what is our country, and why should we be forced to serve in any matter?  If our country was actually directly attacked by a military countries military we should help protect it in any way, but isn't exactly the same as serving our country. I'm not foaming at the mouth by the way. I know that the legal system and lawyers don't agree, but involuntary servitude is wrong period in my opinion. Serving your country by being in combat is not like a John Wayne movie or video game, and the only hero's are dead, maimed, or FUBAR!  Anyone that wants to enlist, be my guest; I'm all for a "professional military instead of a bunch of idiots putting everyone in danger because they think it is a game, or they are some kind of hero. Or if they think they will go to heaven and aren't afraid to die for glory.   

Mike Cl

Quote from: Solitary on June 11, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
I had this same argument with Marylyn Vos Savant that said we should serve our country----just exactly what is our country, and why should we be forced to serve in any matter?  If our country was actually directly attacked by a military countries military we should help protect it in any way, but isn't exactly the same as serving our country. I'm not foaming at the mouth by the way. I know that the legal system and lawyers don't agree, but involuntary servitude is wrong period in my opinion. Serving your country by being in combat is not like a John Wayne movie or video game, and the only hero's are dead, maimed, or FUBAR!  Anyone that wants to enlist, be my guest; I'm all for a "professional military instead of a bunch of idiots putting everyone in danger because they think it is a game, or they are some kind of hero. Or if they think they will go to heaven and aren't afraid to die for glory.
Sol--I was being factious--I know you are not literally foaming at anything.  I am NOT saying that all must serve in the military.  I am suggesting that if we all had to do some type of service--like VISTA or Peace Corp or rebuilding the countries infrastructure or fighting fires or floods or helping in those situations, may feel we have more of a stake in this country.  If I build my own house I am more apt to take care of it.  Helping others is never a bad thing to do.  If your thing is the military--then go for it.  If not, then do something else.  It seems to me something like this, with ALL serving, no exceptions, may keep these constant wars to a minimum and give everybody more of a sense of ownership of this country.