News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Why study science?

Started by Solitary, July 21, 2015, 02:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Yeah I know. .science is always the proper route above all else except when it's wrong and science is often wrong and on the wrong side of history.  Don't believe that?  Go take a big gulp from a well near a busy fracking site or take a big deep breath in Port Arthur, Texas or take a stroll on Three Mile Island.
Sorry folks. You have to take the good with the bad. :x
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

TomFoolery

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on July 21, 2015, 02:50:55 PM
science is always the proper route above all else except when it's wrong and science is often wrong and on the wrong side of history. 
Science has never claimed itself to be infallible. Scientists might, along with politicians who will evoke it dishonestly or selectively to fill an agenda. Of course not all technology and progress is going to be perfect. Are there scientists who still believe fracking is perfectly safe despite evidence to the contrary? Of course. Are there scientists who think GMOs are unsafe despite evidence to the contrary? Naturally. Are politicians and scientists going to spend eternity debating a consensus on what "safe" is in the first place? I certainly hope so.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Draconic Aiur

My Dad:Science is EVERYTHING.

SGOS

Hands down, science was my favorite part of school, starting when I had my first science class.  It has a no bullshit approach to explaining why things are as they are.  It's just fun understanding why things work.  Yes, it gets it wrong sometimes, but it's not because it consciously decides to disregard observation and logic.