News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Intarsia anyone?

Started by Gawdzilla Sama, June 05, 2015, 01:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawdzilla Sama

I consider this to be on the verge of intarsia, and some of my other works do qualify. Pix of that stuff later.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

stromboli

Cool. I have a lot of that veneer (Lauan sheeting) lying around from various jobs I've done. Like to know how you cut the letters.

Solitary

:super: That's really well done Gawdzilla Sama, thanks!
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 06, 2015, 09:00:39 AM
Cool. I have a lot of that veneer (Lauan sheeting) lying around from various jobs I've done. Like to know how you cut the letters.
I cheat. I print out the letters and glue them to the wood with a glue stick. I use a "disappearing color" stick so I can see where I have the glue.

Then I use a Dremel MotoSaw to cut the white part away from the black part. I sand down the bit of white paper on the letters with files and a Dremel 4000.

When I'm done I get the paper wet and it slides off the wood. (Make sure you get all the glue or it will leave an unstained spot if you're going to stain later.)

I did the same with the wolves and trees. I had the trademark logo printed on 24" wide paper for this four foot wide job.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Solitary on June 06, 2015, 01:14:27 PM
:super: That's really well done Gawdzilla Sama, thanks!
Thanks. I have to have it ready to go by the 20th, for the polo match, then immediately pull it back and change out the lower two panels to "Red Wolf SSP Conference 2015."  After that it will be "Wolf Fest 2015", and so on.
PZ Myers

stromboli

I've got a Dremel 4000 but not a Motosaw. Goes on my list. don't tell the wife.......

:whistle:

AllPurposeAtheist

Got the table saw and miter saw, I'm adding a scroll saw soon, drill press, probably a dremel and so on. . I used to work with fiberglass and bondo and metal so I'm adding wood to the things I work with. . I just started whittling again after 30 or so years. .  The ol woman wants me to make her a snazy lighthouse for the dock so I'm thinking of a steel base with a wood and steel frame coated with fiberglass and bondo then shoot with epoxy for the weather. .

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself as usual too..:biggrin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: stromboli on June 06, 2015, 10:38:35 PM
I've got a Dremel 4000 but not a Motosaw. Goes on my list. don't tell the wife.......

:whistle:
When the lady I do the signs for saw the work she bought her husband a Motosaw as a birthday present. Thus began an epic arms race.
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

This one's popular at the Gift Shop.

PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

I did the sign here. Copied the Center logo and added the lettering.

PZ Myers

trdsf

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Going off the beaten path. Or, as I tell visitors, "You can't get this at Wal-Mart!"

PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Most people would say this is finished. It's not.
PZ Myers