News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by kilodelta, June 04, 2015, 08:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kilodelta

As some of you may know, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. They give you a simple method of signing up for it right on the task bar.

I read through the little explanation of what it is...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

I'd be a fool not to take it, right? Or should I stick with Win 7? (the best Windows so far)
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PickelledEggs

Quote from: kilodelta on June 04, 2015, 08:17:50 PM
As some of you may know, Microsoft is offering a free upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. They give you a simple method of signing up for it right on the task bar.

I read through the little explanation of what it is...

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq?ocid=win10_auxapp_LearnMore_win10

I'd be a fool not to take it, right? Or should I stick with Win 7? (the best Windows so far)
My friend that does tech work loves it. And this is coming from a tech. Also coming from someone that hates windows 8 and 8.1 with a passion. He has beta access right now and says there is still a few bugs (that he expects to be worked out by official launch), but he absolutely loves the interface.

PickelledEggs

I would actually make a virtual machine if you have the ability on your computer and run it to see if you like it first though.

aitm

You guys hash it out and let the rest of us know what to do.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

trdsf

I have my doubts about Microsoft's ability to do better than 7 -- I can honestly say I don't mind it, and for me to admit that a Microsoft product isn't annoying is high praise indeed.  So I'm going to stick with 7 as long as I can, barring unexpectedly strong reviews from sources I trust.  8, like Vista, is a no-go.  And wtf happened to 9?

Not that MS can count anyway.  I mean, the version progression has been 3.1, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000, XP, 7, 8, 10.  This is not the way I learned my numbers.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

SGOS

Quote from: trdsf on June 04, 2015, 09:16:00 PM
And wtf happened to 9?

Same thing I was wondering.

Not that MS can count anyway.  I mean, the version progression has been 3.1, 95, 98, NT, Me, 2000, XP, 7, 8, 10.  This is not the way I learned my numbers.

At least their being consistent.  Well, consistently inconsistent.

kilodelta

Apparently Win 8.1 was actually Win 9.

kilodelta

Quote from: PickelledEggs on June 04, 2015, 08:45:26 PM
I would actually make a virtual machine if you have the ability on your computer and run it to see if you like it first though.

Yeah. My friend does that for 7 and 8. I prefer keeping things simple. (Though, he'll tell me that doing that would be simple...)

As game compatibility is my only concern, my choice is to keep this computer as a Win 7 forever. I'll go to Win 10 on my other computers. If there are any games that don't run on Win 10, I could just use my this machine for that game.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've been hearing that download app is a pain in the ass, you can't seem to turn it off. Haven't tested that myself, I'll let you early adopters clear the minefield. I'll be in the rear with the gear.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

kilodelta

Yeah. With my sub-standard download speed, that is a concern for me as well. If they were to allow setting a download speed on the app, that'd help out a lot.

stromboli

I've got Windows 8 on my laptop. Maybe I'll upgrade to 10 eventually. I am still using my PC because the wife wants the laptop. Claims she paid for it or something..... Don't like 8 personally. She doesn't contribute to anything, mostly watches Netflix.

the_antithesis

And wtf happened to 9?

The official story from MS is that Windows 10 is so fucking super that they decided to skip a number, which is lame.

In reality, it's because of Windows 95/98 compatibility issues which is usually coded as win9x or similar which would just fuck everything up, so they decided to go with the next number up to be safe.

I looked up this free upgrade thing. It's free for the first year and then they'll charge you. I have no idea how much. I just googled and found an upgrade to Windows 8 for $149. So expect a bill for that in a year if you do this. And good luck getting a new operating system to run on your old hardware.

Johan

What do numbers have to do with marketing? Lions and tigers and giraffes ain't numbers either but that doesn't seem to slow Apple down any.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Johan

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 06, 2015, 09:18:42 AM
And good luck getting a new operating system to run on your old hardware.
Meh it just depends. Vista wouldn't run for shit on even the newest fastest hardware that existed when it was first released. But I've installed and run 7 on several XP machines that predated Vista by quite a bit and it does just fine on that hardware. I wouldn't expect 10 to run very well on 2006 hardware, but I suspect it will probably run ok on just about anything currently running 7.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

Mike Cl

Quote from: Johan on June 06, 2015, 09:52:58 AM
Meh it just depends. Vista wouldn't run for shit on even the newest fastest hardware that existed when it was first released. But I've installed and run 7 on several XP machines that predated Vista by quite a bit and it does just fine on that hardware. I wouldn't expect 10 to run very well on 2006 hardware, but I suspect it will probably run ok on just about anything currently running 7.
I had win 8 for about a year.  Endless problems running win 7 based games.  I hated the window display.  This time I'm not moving from win 7 until I have to.  And that will be when the games won't run of 7.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?