News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Here's your dose of perspective for today

Started by trdsf, June 04, 2015, 06:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

The BBC has an interactive page called Your Life On Earth -- what's happened on and with Planet Earth since the day of your birth (or just about any other date you care to enter since 1914).

I think the one that caught me up most sharply was the datum that, in conjunction with the Solar System, I have traveled a quarter of a trillion miles around the galaxy... which is still only 0.043 of a light year.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on June 04, 2015, 06:59:07 PM
The BBC has an interactive page called Your Life On Earth -- what's happened on and with Planet Earth since the day of your birth (or just about any other date you care to enter since 1914).

I think the one that caught me up most sharply was the datum that, in conjunction with the Solar System, I have traveled a quarter of a trillion miles around the galaxy... which is still only 0.043 of a light year.
Damn!  Slow aren't ya???
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

AtheistLemon

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 04, 2015, 07:50:33 PM
Damn!  Slow aren't ya???
It's not his fault our planet is fat. At least we don't have gas all the time, like Jupiter.

trdsf

Quote from: Mike Cl on June 04, 2015, 07:50:33 PM
Damn!  Slow aren't ya???
Hey, it's 1% of the distance from here to α Centauri.  Not bad for sitting on my ass for fifty years.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

kilodelta

First one to half a light year wins atheism.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

trdsf

Quote from: kilodelta on June 04, 2015, 08:36:45 PM
First one to half a light year wins atheism.
Sure, I'll only have to live to be about 600-625 or so.

kilodelta

Quote from: trdsf on June 04, 2015, 09:03:35 PM
Sure, I'll only have to live to be about 600-625 or so.

Taking the long way then? I'm searching for a wormhole.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

AllPurposeAtheist

Just look up at night and realize that many of the stars you see have been burnt out for millions of years even though the light from them is still traveling. .
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

We live in a world of information and data, everything is just a main frame universal computer supplying our personal computers with this. To resist is futile earthling---God!  :eek:   
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

stromboli

Quote from: trdsf on June 04, 2015, 06:59:07 PM

I used to walk that far to get to school.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: stromboli on June 05, 2015, 09:57:01 AM
I used to walk that far to get to school.
Barefoot, uphill both ways in the snow on broken glass carrying your brothers and sisters on your back no less,  right?  Yeah,  me too..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WwzYhVL5Sc

This used to be my theme song until H W jr. turned into a racist Republican Obama hater.

.....apologies for sidetracking thread.......  :naughty:

Solitary

Thanks! That still is good music, with a melody, story, and good beat. I was raised in the Land of Dixie where music was king in Nashville. My mother loved the Grand Old Opry, and I never liked music then, but I think Country Rock is good music now. What has happened to the music industry? It's like the same thing that has happened to the movie industry, everything is based on an algorithm and formula with hardly anything original. 
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mike Cl

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Mike Cl

Quote from: kilodelta on June 04, 2015, 10:18:26 PM
Taking the long way then? I'm searching for a wormhole.
Yeah--that'd be good.