Rick Sperm and Shit Santorum to Pope: Leave science to scientists

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, June 03, 2015, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

Uhhh.. Pope Francis has a degree in chemistry which like the pope or not makes him far more qualified to speak about science than that of a two bit, washed up senator and wannabe president. . Perhaps Francis can school the republican party to leave science to the scientists. .
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2015/06/01/rick-santorum-on-pope-francis-letter-on-climate-change-leave-the-science-to-the-scientist/
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

That's what you get when you make a pope out of a guy that studied chemistry. That probably won't happen again.

trdsf

Ah, yes, leave the science to the scientists... aren't these the same scientists that Santorum doesn't believe in the first place?
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

I actually do agree with Rick Santorum here (may I never utter those horrible words again so long as I live), but for completely different reasons.  Religious institutions shouldn't weigh in on scientific controversies because it's not their field of expertise.  (one wonders what their field of expertise is, because it sure isn't morality)  Actual experts, not clergymen or for that matter, politicians, are the true authority in these matters.  Religious leaders get to speak as if they were legitimate authorities on so many things that they don't know anything about.  Global Warming.  Evolution.  God.  :P

That said, I'm aware of the obvious ulterior motive here.  He wants the RCC to stay away from the global warming issue because he's afraid of the expected affirmation of anthropogenic global warming, a phenomenon that he and his GOP ilk have worked tirelessly to politicize, deny, and minimize.  I doubt he'd have the same opinion if the RCC was as steeped in climate change denial as he is.

Savior2006

Quote from: Hydra009 on June 04, 2015, 01:44:33 AM
I actually do agree with Rick Santorum here (may I never utter those horrible words again so long as I live), but for completely different reasons.  Religious institutions shouldn't weigh in on scientific controversies because it's not their field of expertise.  (one wonders what their field of expertise is, because it sure isn't morality)  Actual experts, not clergymen or for that matter, politicians, are the true authority in these matters.  Religious leaders get to speak as if they were legitimate authorities on so many things that they don't know anything about.  Global Warming.  Evolution.  God.  :P

That said, I'm aware of the obvious ulterior motive here.  He wants the RCC to stay away from the global warming issue because he's afraid of the expected affirmation of anthropogenic global warming, a phenomenon that he and his GOP ilk have worked tirelessly to politicize, deny, and minimize.  I doubt he'd have the same opinion if the RCC was as steeped in climate change denial as he is.

A no brainer.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Solitary

The Vatican does have scientists well versed in biology and astronomy, as well as physics. However they put science in the perspective of God did it. So they are much more qualified to talk about science and it's conclusions than any politician that is just looking for a vote.
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

AllPurposeAtheist

Well. .despite the fact that the pope may claim goddidit, he does hold sway over a huge segment of the Earths population to move the needle on climate change whereas Santorum holds sway over about .000000000001% of the human population and those people are hard core stupid anyway so if I had to pick one Santorum ain't it. 
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

Quote from: Solitary on June 04, 2015, 11:43:00 AM
The Vatican does have scientists well versed in biology and astronomy, as well as physics. However they put science in the perspective of God did it. So they are much more qualified to talk about science and it's conclusions than any politician that is just looking for a vote.
Yup, and one of the most transformative theories of the 20th century was in fact the work of a Catholic priest: Abbé Georges Lemaître's Cosmic Egg (later renamed Big Bang) theory.  And when Pius XII jumped on it as being a scientific way to say "let there be light", Lemaître told the pope to piss off, this is science, not religion.

Okay, maybe I paraphrased a little bit there.  Or maybe he did it in Latin.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Termin

Should the Catholic Church as an organization stay out of science ? certainly. Now individual members are certainly welcome too. So on that He is correct.

But rick sanatorum is a hypocrite, he's a well known ID supporter.
Termin 1:1

Evolution is probably the slowest biological process on planet earth, the only one that comes close is the understanding of it by creationists.

trdsf

Quote from: Termin on June 04, 2015, 08:22:39 PM
Should the Catholic Church as an organization stay out of science ? certainly. Now individual members are certainly welcome too. So on that He is correct.

But rick sanatorum is a hypocrite, he's a well known ID supporter.
Yup.  And the Roman Catholic Church officially accepts biological evolution and Big Bang cosmology as being valid.  Who'd've thought the Vatican would be to the left of anyone?