Drinking a cup of tea can add plausible evidence God exists

Started by mendacium remedium, March 09, 2013, 06:50:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

St Giordano Bruno

I like my tea hot, not warm and my beer cold, also not warm. What does the warm tea theory have to say about that? This "warm tea" theory gives no more plausible evidence that God exists than the tea leaves left behind gives one the power the read the future.
Voltaire - "Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities"

pr126

Cup of tea, - therefore god.
But whose god?  :-k   Man has created thousands of them.

FrankDK

> Even single celled organisms withdraw from painful stimuli.

They withdraw from aversive stimuli, but whether they experience "pain" as we define it is another question.  This is splitting hairs, to a certain extent, but I think it's important to the OP's point.

That ineffable experience we call pain (or emotions in general) is specific to organisms with an organized, neuron-based brain.  It's how evolution coped with the task of getting organisms to avoid aversive stimuli.  Clearly, in one-celled animals, there is a different mechanism involved.

But your point is well-taken.  The continuation of all life depends on individual organisms' ability to evade death and reproduce.

Frank

the_antithesis

Quote from: "pr126"Cup of tea, - therefore god.

The god of tea, of course.

caseagainstfaith

Quote from: "the_antithesis"The god of tea, of course.

Holy crap, you're a Home Erectus too.  I need to check and see how many of them we got now.
Please visit my site at http://www.caseagainstfaith.com  featuring critiques of Lee Strobel and other apologetics.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Hakurei Reimu"
Quote from: "mendacium remedium"My argument is not "hey jimmy, i can't understand this, therefore it must be a God".
My argument is that we are creatures who have immeasurably precise designation and placement of atoms. If we also designed a robot with a cpu this time with amazing complexity, could it 'feel'?

I think the answer is no. I can understand responding to stimuli, how the nervous system works, how it all occurs...but the 'raw' agony of touching a flame? However precisely designed i am, there is may be another element here which definitely escapes understanding.
No, that's an argument from ignorance. You are trying to fill in your lack of knowledge of how 'feelings' work and what they are with the conviction that it must be of some nature. Like going as far as saying that a computer CAN'T 'feel' the way you do, no matter how sublty its programmed. Really? You don't know anything about feelings and yet you're going to make some grand pronouncement about its nature? What an arrogant prick you are.

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"That's how i will be 'caused' to feel, but what exactly is 'feeling'.
The 'cause' and the 'feeling' are the same, from different points of view. They are duals to each other.

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Nervous system with collisions and movements of neurotransmitters across synapses/other functions --->
Precisely. Nothing. There's nothing demonstratably separate in terms of phenomena to fill in the other side, and thus an explanation is unnecessary.

""feelings"" (psyching your brain into believing something)   is how MAGIC works.   Ask any witch and Bob's Your Uncle - that's her answer.  Yep.  This argument from MR is no different than listening to people describe their witchcraft......all day long up One side and down the other.  You ask them 'But how do you Know?" and they answer "But I just DO!"
goes on and on............
This is how magic works.
YAY!!!   Can't 'splain that.

[spoil:2al6elw3]It's such a relief to come out of the Broom Closet and know that MR understands magic completely.  Eeesh I was getting lonely here.[/spoil:2al6elw3]

:rollin:

repaired for typo
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

BarkAtTheMoon

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "pr126"Cup of tea, - therefore god.

The god of tea, of course.

So Bertrand Russell was right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell's_teapot
"When you landed on the moon, that was the point when God should have come up and said hello. Because if you invent some creatures and you put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, then you fucking turn up and say, 'Well done.' It's just a polite thing to do." - Eddie Izzard

the_antithesis

You know, I was waiting for someone to ask who was the god of tea and then say something lame like Earl Grey. But I've reconsidered.

La Dolce Vita

No, no, no! That RAW feeling of pain you get is certainly not connected to any kind of deity. It has been personally revealed to me that when any type of chemical, powder og organism meets and mixes with water little microscopic elves are born. Most tea types are strong, and the strenght of whatever the new element added to whatever increases the size of these elves. The warmer the water is, the stronger they are. Freezing the water/tea might kill them altogether, but they can be strong and nifty fuckers.

You see, they can't survive in the water, they need a carrier, so this raw pain is actually them jumping around in your throat, clinging to the walls and digging themselves into your very being. Sometimes they will mate with the elves that already live in your blood, and this is actually what causes AIDS, cancer and low self-esteem. Luckily our bobies have gotten used to the elvish presence and can usually deal with them. And when strong enough, they will usually leave on their own to biuld their magic kingdom in the sewers. Where they keep crocodiles as pets, you see, this is where all the crocodiles in the sewer escapes from.

You should always be friendly with the inner elves. They don't want to hurt you, but if you're rude they'll give you AIDS. They do love giving people AIDS. If you want to make them your friends and get control over your own body you must simply shave your head, as well as all other hair on your body and have sex with an four-legged animal no older than two months.

If you wish to eradicate them entirely however, you must not cut your hair, but BURN IT OFF. A ritual dance is also required. In the nude, of course. Your hair, which must be to meter long before you set it on fire, shall slowly burn away while you jump and slap yourself on the ass. It's required that you run a distance of 3.92 kilometers as well, and while this is done you must repeatedly scream: "Kazvacho 'n to pre-wa schant ni voxxi coxxi zoply ba vooovooo".

This will annoy the elves so much that they will leave.

(Of course, they will return next time you drink a fresh cut of tea)

BEWARE OF THE TEA!!!

aitm

Cotton Mathers (of Puritan fame) once said that a tooth ache was gods reward for sinning. Maybe MR is on to something, (as opposed to be ON something)
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

leo

Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

FrankDK

Quote from: "La Dolce Vita"No, no, no! That RAW feeling of pain you get is certainly not connected to any kind of deity. It has been personally revealed to me that when any type of chemical, powder og organism meets and mixes with water little microscopic elves are born. Most tea types are strong, and the strenght of whatever the new element added to whatever increases the size of these elves. ...

This will annoy the elves so much that they will leave.

(Of course, they will return next time you drink a fresh cut of tea)

BEWARE OF THE TEA!!!

All this only goes to prove the greatness of the Invisible Green Leprechaun (BPUH).

Frank

La Dolce Vita

Green?! I can assure you that in MY private revelation he FELT very BLUE. Besides, the color of the Invisible Blue Leprechaun isn't really important, as, no matter his greatness he is just the messeger of the Old Grey Owl, all else is unimportent as she is the only path to truly understand the microscopic elves living in your body.

widdershins

Quote from: "mendacium remedium"Some of you may me startled by the title, but it is indeed true. And i specify below exactly why. The sure-fire way to convince me to become an atheist (something i will never rule out, although deism would be my preferred standard option) would be to refute the below.

From my own blog , so this is not copy-pasted(in case someone runs a search).
http://scientificphilosopher.wordpress. ... rstand-it/

One of the most puzzling aspects of trying to fully understand our brain is that of human consciousness .We speak , we think, we feel, we understand, we strategize – and much of this is shared with animals. The remarkably puzzling thing is, what part in us exactly 'feels' the pain?

Some can rightly assert that the stimulus is detected by a sense organs receptor, and by a nervous pathway travels to the brain where it processes everything, and then produces a response (the brain is by-passed in a reflex response). This explanation would be an accurate explanation had the question been titled "how do we detect our environment". This simply explains how our body detects and processes stimuli, but it does not explain what part 'feels' any of it.

Consider a mildly warm tea cup. Perhaps you are sitting on your sofa on a lazy sunday morning, sipping tea – or coffee – and the mild warm sensation of the gently flowing down your throat can be felt.  We can easily explain how the warm tea is detected. We can explain what part of the brain it is processed. However, what is the 'raw' feeling of warm tea being swallowed?

If you touch a fire, the reflex response and what happens on the basic cellular level can be understood, but that's simply neurotransmitters being transmitted across synapses. Exactly what is the 'raw' feeling of the agony one gets when they touch a flame? How can seemingly unconscious atoms simply being transmitted translate to a 'feeling' of raw pain?

If we designed a robot to have a complex CPU, to be able to respond, understand, think of it's own accord, no matter how complex this CPU was, would it ever be able to feel? Would the electrons flitting across it's circuit boards ever translate to that 'raw' feeling we humans possess ?

My conclusion: There is something else, something more, an essence that simply can not be due to natural process's(it can be evoked by natural processes but itself is an external force or reality that enables us to 'feel'. We have dissected the brain, analysed it, have volumes of books on the nervous system, and yet, i thoroughly doubt there ever will be an answer to this.
Yay.  Another "I, personally, don't understand it, therefore God is proved" argument.  Finally, the same old argument stated in another way.
This sentence is a lie...

Bibliofagus

Quote from: \"the_antithesis\"Faith says, "I believe this and I don\'t care what you say, I cannot possibly be wrong." Faith is an act of pride.

Quote from: \"AllPurposeAtheist\"The moral high ground was dug up and made into a walmart apparently today.

Tornadoes caused: 2, maybe 3.