Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

How long will 3D movies be around?

Started by SGOS, June 01, 2015, 11:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on June 01, 2015, 06:51:07 PM
http://www.reelz.com/article/816/a-tour-through-the-history-of-3-d-movies/

Thanks for that trip down memory lane.  I remember seeing many of those at my local theater.  I also remember another Vincent Price "spectacular".  I think it was House on Haunted Hill... Filmed in Emergo. 

Emergo?  What's that you ask?  Well it was a new and exciting cinematic concept destined to compete with 3D... or not.  Toward the end of the movie there is this sequence where this couple is in the empty house, and they are attacked by a skeleton, but it turns out the skeleton is a man sized puppet being controlled by Vincent Price who was trying to scare the hapless couple, or whoever it was, for some reason that I can no longer remember.  The camera zooms in on the wires controlling the skeleton, and the camera follows the wires into another room where Vincent Price is doing a Wizard of Oz thing behind a curtain.  And just when you are starting to relax because it's not a real skeleton, they spring the really frightening Emergo techinique on you.

A spot light near the stage flicks on and directs your attention to the back of the theater where high up on the back wall there is an outhouse sized thing that suddenly opens and a life size skeleton comes slowly sliding down to the screen on a cable that no one in the theater had noticed before.  It takes a minute or two to pass over everyone's head to the front of the theater, and then it reverses and takes another minute or two to get pulled back over everyone's head to it's hiding place again.  Everyone is now all Oooooh, eek, or snicker snicker depending on how macho you are.

But here's the thing.  It's not even an authentic looking skeleton.  It's one of those plastic blow up balloon type things with a skeleton painted on it.  I think it may have even had a light bulb inside of it.  Now I'm only 10 years old, and I'm thinking to myself, "This has got to be the most God dammed stupidest looking thing I've ever seen."

And that, Ladies and Gentlemen, was the first and only time the Emergo technique was ever used in theaters.

Hey, I just googled Filmed in Emergo and found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Castle

QuoteHouse on Haunted Hill (1959). Filmed in "Emergo". A skeleton with red lighted eye sockets attached to wire floated over the audience in the final moments of some showings of the film to parallel the action on screen when a skeleton rises from a vat of acid and pursues the villainous wife of Vincent Price's character.[6][p. 16] Once word spread about the skeleton, kids enjoyed trying to knock it down with candy boxes, soda cups, or any other objects at hand.

Shiranu

I hate the 3D-gimmick with a passion. Mostly because I can't see, it ruins good movies, the glasses fuck up the colour and all you get is a headache.

Fuck that. Its the only reason I even moderately disliked Mad Max, cause I had the misfortune to bee dragged to a 3d showing by friends.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2015, 11:30:49 PM
Was it back in the 70s or 80s when they figured out how to make those 3D posters?  Seems like almost everyone had one of them on the wall.  Some people could see the images.  To others, they were just a source of hair pulling frustration.
I remember them as being in book form.  I bought several as presents.  Had one in the house.  And I was one of the frustrated ones, for I could not see anything.  And I could not find Waldo very well, either.  Nor those numbers in the page of bubbles of various sizes.  Frustrating.............
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Sal1981

I never see anything in those "magic" images and 3d movies make my head hurt. *sigh*

aitm

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2015, 05:52:16 PM

(Do you see the sailboat? Then, fuck you!)

I stared at that for 4 minutes and eventurally saw Jessica Alba's head gently bobbing on my lap.....very nice too...even started to feel like it as well.....er....gotta go....
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

kilodelta

I have never seen anything in those damned pictures...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Desdinova

I hate wearing the glasses over my glasses so I usually opt for the regular version.
"How long will we be
Waiting, for your modern messiah
To take away all the hatred
That darkens the light in your eye"
  -Disturbed, Liberate

trdsf

The new system has the advantage that the movies are in full color, and the polarized light system works well (if you want to see something weird, keep a pair of the movie 3D glasses and look at yourself in a mirror and see which eye sees which lens blacked out).  But yes, to us glasses-wearers, it's a bit of a pain.

The only movies I've gone to see 3D have been animated features like Despicable Me.  I haven't bothered with any "serious" 3D releases, so I can't judge the live-action ones.  I don't mind it, even though it encourages gimmicky padding so they can show off the 3D effect.  Though I would like to see them offer a clip-on option for those of us who already wear glasses.  But by and large, I don't go to the cinema often enough to care whether it's 2- or 3D.  I'm kinda in the "wake me when it's holographically projected in the round" camp.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

the_antithesis

Quote from: aitm on June 02, 2015, 12:24:24 PM

I stared at that for 4 minutes and eventurally saw Jessica Alba's head gently bobbing on my lap.....very nice too...even started to feel like it as well.....er....gotta go....

What is it with you and old ladies?

the_antithesis

Atheon

Quote from: the_antithesis on June 01, 2015, 05:52:16 PM
(Do you see the sailboat? Then, fuck you!)
Looks like a ringed planet to me. Like Saturn. But colorful and starry.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

the_antithesis

Quote from: SGOS on June 01, 2015, 11:30:49 PM
Was it back in the 70s or 80s when they figured out how to make those 3D posters?  Seems like almost everyone had one of them on the wall.  Some people could see the images.  To others, they were just a source of hair pulling frustration.

Those posters became a thing in the early 90's.

I had said sailboat earlier as a reference to the movie Mallrats.

SGOS

Quote from: Atheon on June 06, 2015, 10:19:50 AM
Looks like a ringed planet to me. Like Saturn. But colorful and starry.
That's what I see, but I'm still seeing inside out.

trdsf

Quote from: SGOS on June 06, 2015, 10:53:19 AM
That's what I see, but I'm still seeing inside out.
Yeah, exactly.  I always see these things sunk in, not sticking out.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Gawdzilla Sama

3D's not going away. Sorry about you folks who have trouble with it, but they're still making 2D versions just for you. Enjoy.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers