News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Is there a bible in your home?

Started by Feral Atheist, May 27, 2015, 12:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Cl

I have many bibles.  Some standard ones like the Revised KJ, the Jerusalem Bible, The Book, and two interesting ones.  One is a NT dated to the 1850's, is small and written in Swedish.  Another is a NT, small and armor plated; given to my dad by my grandmother during WWII--apparently they were made so that they could deflect bullets and were small enough to fit into almost any pocket on a military uniform--hopefully one situated  over the heart.  I have many many other religious and theology books.  8/9 books by Joseph Campbell.  Oh, almost forgot--I bet nobody else but me has a copy of the Metaphysical Bible Dictionary--it was written by Charles Fillmore, who founded Unity--a New Thought movement from the early 1900's.  He maintained that the bible is purely allegory about the internal makeup and thought process of all humans.  Use this book to decipher the bible's allegory as it pertains to you. Kind of like a dream interpretation book, use this one to explain the allegorical meaning each person, place, or incident has to your inner processes.  My wife is a recovering Catholic, so we have a bunch of her non-idol statues in the garden, along with several Buddhas, trolls, fairies, and creatures.  Several taro decks, now kept for the art work.  An I Ching.  A couple of numerology and astrology books (used to cast horoscopes).  I have quite a little library of this and that--and the odder the better.  The only section of my library that is bigger is the really only vital one I have--baseball!  For as everybody knows--there are two vital things in life that add meaning--baseball and ice cream!!
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

TomFoolery

Quote from: Jason_Harvestdancer on May 27, 2015, 11:10:13 AM
Uh yeah.  Like many here I have the writings of most of the major religions and several of the less populous ones as well.

Same here. I actually have all sorts of books, from Star Trek and Jane Austen novels to all of my old college physics textbooks and gardening concordances. Bible or not, there's no harm in being well-read.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

Unbeliever

My personal Bible is the Authorized KJV. It's got notes on most pages, and in it I've taped stuff like historical, numerical, scientific, etc. errors, contradictions, what the Bible-God is really like - and other such silly absurdities.
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 27, 2015, 02:45:49 AM
Can you change the poll to multi-select? I have to pick 2 of those... lol

I have bibles, one or two in Assyrian Aramaic that no one knows how to read. A couple in regular english... That one one reads even though it's in english...

Also. My mom has angel tarot cards as well as fairy tarot cards (that she beleives works), a quartz pendulum (that she "corrects negative energy" with), a bowl of blue sand full of an assortment of crystals, LOTS of books by Chopra and other "faith-healing" gurus.... also. Some book called "Anna, Grandmother of Jesus" and the sequal(?) "Anna, voice of the Magdalines" (which I find interesting, since she doesn't like or necessarily believe in christianity, but she has a lot of stuff about jesus.... She also has Buddhas statuettes, little prayer cards of different saints and of jesus....  crystals hanging from all parts of the house..... A WHOLE lotta bullshit.

Not sure if crystals count as pagan idols, but my mom has a metric shit-ton of them.

And my dad was raised catholic, so we have little wall-mounts of  a fictional character being executed in a couple places around the house, including the kitchen... where we eat.... (ew)
WHAT? No mystical, magical, spiritual wind chimes? Just what kind of hokum is your mom into?  :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 27, 2015, 10:25:47 PM
WHAT? No mystical, magical, spiritual wind chimes? Just what kind of hokum is your mom into?  :lol:
she has those too.

And no I'm not joking lol

Sent from your mom.

AllPurposeAtheist

There is one,  not mine and I have about as much use for it as a rooster has for a broken tricycle ridden by a fox.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 27, 2015, 10:26:41 PM
she has those too.

And no I'm not joking lol

Sent from your mom.

Then you're in safe hands. . Tubes on a string are more powerful than the invisible man in the sky.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on May 27, 2015, 10:30:27 PM
Then you're in safe hands. . Tubes on a string are more powerful than the invisible man in the sky.
Sound healing? There's a pseudoscience for that.

http://www.soundhealingcenter.com/

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: PickelledEggs on May 27, 2015, 10:37:19 PM
Sound healing? There's a pseudoscience for that.

http://www.soundhealingcenter.com/
Don't try to fool me..You know that little pieces of glass and metal on a string cures every ailment known to man. . Science has proven it!  :eek:

DeathandGrim

I mean I used to be Christian so yea I have one.
You argue with a god of death?

We all make bad decisions.

"Born Asian -- Not born this way"

Aletheia

I have an  old German Bible that belonged to my mom. It's about three times as thick as an American Bible. I keep it around for aesthetic reasons - it definitely has the 1,000 years of Catholicism feel to it.

I use the Internet to research holy texts of various religions - it's much simpler that way.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

Quote from: Aletheia on May 28, 2015, 08:06:42 AM
I have an  old German Bible that belonged to my mom. It's about three times as thick as an American Bible. I keep it around for aesthetic reasons - it definitely has the 1,000 years of Catholicism feel to it.

I use the Internet to research holy texts of various religions - it's much simpler that way.

What you need to do, is take the book, rip out the pages, turn the paper into paper mache, and make a big rainbow display for diversity with a bunch of kids painting a rainbow for an aids and abortion clinic.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

The Skeletal Atheist

I live in the southern United States, what do you think? They literally give the fucking things away down here.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

wolf39us

Nope!  Have no need for that silly nonsense!

1liesalot

Quote from: The Skeletal Atheist on May 28, 2015, 08:18:43 AM
I live in the southern United States, what do you think? They literally give the fucking things away down here.

I'm surprised bible ownership isn't mandatory, especially in Texas.