Ireland Legalizes Gay Marriage

Started by stromboli, May 23, 2015, 11:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mermaid

It's a relief that the popular vote was a resounding, solid yes. If that's what it takes, that's what it takes. Voting on a human rights issue isn't really all that awesome though. This is a good day in the world.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Munch

Quote from: SGOS on May 23, 2015, 01:04:02 PM
I don't know if the Pope is pissed or not, but I'm guessing there's some serious hand wringing going on at the Vatican.  Pat Roberston?  He's probably trying to figure out how he can use this to squeeze money out of the flock.

That disease brained old man? That old farts probably trying to figure out how to wipe his own ass and giving up these days.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

PickelledEggs

I saw that Reddit is celebrating with a rainbow clover. Good stuff. I love when bigotry starts to lose

Sent from your mom.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 23, 2015, 12:56:00 PM
This guy?  Probably not as much of a fan of gay rights as some people have been led to believe.

Never said he was a fan of it, but given his extremely progressive stances on the people being in charge of government... I highly doubt he is "pissed".

Disappointed, certainly.

QuoteAnd do you really think he isn't pissed??!

Yes, I really think that.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Atheon

Can't wait to hear Bill O'Reilly's reaction. The conservative, Catholic land of his ancestry just voted overwhelmingly for (gasp!) GAY (ay... ay... ay...) MARRIAGE (rriage... rriage... rriage...)!!!!

I am proud to be 1/32 Irish today! Erin go bragh!
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Mike Cl

Is the pope pissed.  Yes, he is.  I'm becoming a little tired of hearing how 'progressive' he is.  This is from the Huffington Post, Parker Molloy:

"Can we stop praising Pope Francis for being "progressive"? When it comes to social issues, the Catholic Church still bars women from taking leadership roles within the church, still opposes marriage equality, and still opposes changes to employment discrimination laws worldwide.

In 2010, when Pope Francis was still Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio, Archbishop of Buenos Aires, and his home country of Argentina was debating whether or not to pass legislation that would allow same-sex couples to marry and adopt children jointly, he condemned marriage equality as "a 'move' by the father of lies" and called being raised by same-sex parents a form of discrimination against children."

So, yeah, I'd say he is pissed.  The devil won one.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Atheon

The current pope is progressive as popes go. That's to say, not very progressive at all. But I'd rather see a pope who's slightly progressive than one who is extremely regressive, like his predecessor. A little change for the better is preferable to a lot of change for the worse.
"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca

Munch

Quote from: Atheon on May 23, 2015, 03:04:51 PM
The current pope is progressive as popes go. That's to say, not very progressive at all. But I'd rather see a pope who's slightly progressive than one who is extremely regressive, like his predecessor. A little change for the better is preferable to a lot of change for the worse.

it won't last, just think about this pope being a clog in a drain before more shit comes to unclog it.

stromboli

I hope you realize that god is now going to subject Ireland to hurricanes/tornadoes/earthquakes in the near future.......

Munch

Quote from: stromboli on May 23, 2015, 04:15:24 PM
I hope you realize that god is now going to subject Ireland to hurricanes/tornadoes/earthquakes in the near future.......

Ireland is often so drunk it wouldn't notice.

trdsf

A terrific result; I was afraid it was going to be close, like the divorce vote turned out to be.  Makes me proud to have a little Irish ancestry.

Quote from: Atheon on May 23, 2015, 03:04:51 PM
I'll even go so far as to say he's a breath of fresh air, but the air was so vile already he could hardly help but be.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mike Cl

Quote from: trdsf on May 23, 2015, 05:08:33 PM
A terrific result; I was afraid it was going to be close, like the divorce vote turned out to be.  Makes me proud to have a little Irish ancestry.
I'll even go so far as to say he's a breath of fresh air, but the air was so vile already he could hardly help but be.
I'm pretty sure I have Irish in my background.  As far as the pope is concerned, he is a bit of fresh air.  But actually, I'd rather have him be very, very conservative.  I think the rest of the world would grow tired quicker of the Catholic Church.  But I also realize it really isn't going anywhere for at least a few more hundred years.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

stromboli

Gawdzilla Sama

This explains the earthquake in Somalia.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers