Another anti-gay pastor resigns after gay dating profile discovered

Started by Ace101, May 21, 2015, 11:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ace101

Between this, and Josh Duggard's confession - things are looking just swell for conservative Christian family values this year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3088757/Reverend-Matthew-Makela-resigns-Grindr-profile-uncovered-Queerty.html

A married Michigan reverend with five children who publicly came out against homosexuality has resigned from his associate pastor job after his profile on the gay hook-up app Grindr was exposed.

Reverend Matthew Makela of Midland worked at St John's Lutheran Church where he was called a man who enjoyed 'family, music, home improvement, gardening and landscaping, and sports'.

During his time at the church, Makela reportedly made negative statements about the gay and transgender communities and once compared homosexuality to alcoholism.

In a comment that has since been removed from a Midlands Daily News story, Makela wrote: 'I love people who have same sex attraction, and so does God.

'The proof is in the sacrifice He made for all of us who sin... We don’t tell a person born with tendencies to abuse alcohol to keep on giving in to his innate desires because he can’t help it.

'We try to help him in his struggle.'

He also made unkind comments about gay and transgender people on his Facebook page, according to Queerty.

Screenshots obtained by the site reveal Makela called himself a 'top' who loved 'make out naked and cuddle' as well as 'oral and massage'.

He confirmed the Grindr profile was real, according to Queerty.

When word of the profile reached church officials, Makela decided to step down.

PickelledEggs

AllPurposeAtheist

This is a tradgidy..yes, misspelling is intentional.. Not only are "family values" going up in flames the so called leaders are flames..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

trdsf

I may have to start going to a fundie church -- apparently the pulpit's the place to find men, these days!
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

AllPurposeAtheist

Well he's going straight to heaven soon as he dies.. Let us pray..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

the_antithesis

You'd think they'd stop taking strong anti-gay stances to keep people from thinking they're gay.

It's like my brother who'd recently joined a band and had some t-shirts made for it. The shirts are purple because the band is called the Royals, so he made his shirt black because he doesn't want to look gay. You know who else worries about the color of their shirt making them look gay? Closeted homosexuals. That's who.

Munch

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 23, 2015, 11:56:11 AM
You'd think they'd stop taking strong anti-gay stances to keep people from thinking they're gay.

It's like my brother who'd recently joined a band and had some t-shirts made for it. The shirts are purple because the band is called the Royals, so he made his shirt black because he doesn't want to look gay. You know who else worries about the color of their shirt making them look gay? Closeted homosexuals. That's who.

You know I was thinking about the whole belief of how people identify what is gay, and how they put labels on such things.
It then made me think of this.

What conservatives and republicans and Christians think gay men are like.

What actual gay people are like.

In other words they are like everyone else.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Aletheia

It's a shame some members of the gay community feel so badly about who they are that they wilfully obstruct the progression of change needed to remove the very stigma that caused them to feel bad in the first place.

This is like watching a slave who has been told he is free struggling to put the chains back on and pleading for his former master to continue tormenting him. Reminds me so much of people traumatized as children who keep recreating similar scenarios from childhood long into adulthood because that's familiar to them.
Quote from: Jakenessif you believe in the supernatural, you do not understand modern science. Period.

Munch

Quote from: Aletheia on May 23, 2015, 12:24:59 PM
It's a shame some members of the gay community feel so badly about who they are that they wilfully obstruct the progression of change needed to remove the very stigma that caused them to feel bad in the first place.

This is like watching a slave who has been told he is free struggling to put the chains back on and pleading for his former master to continue tormenting him. Reminds me so much of people traumatized as children who keep recreating similar scenarios from childhood long into adulthood because that's familiar to them.

Its one of those things where because a stereotype was created with the worst stigma, the more flamboyant of gay people decided to 'own it', and while I give them credit for havng that confidence, in a time where countries are accepting gay people more and more as a norm, its not needed anymore to the level they go at, and just becomes something of a comedy act.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

trdsf

That's kind of a double edged sword.  I have been accused of being "straight acting" by fellow gays because I'm not chirpy and flamboyant.  There's nothing closeted about it, I just flame about as well as an ice cube.  It's not in my nature; I typically describe myself as 'quietly queer' rather than 'fabulous'.  We really are a spectrum, and not just on the flag.

Also, you get points for a 'Bride of Pin*Bot' avatar.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

the_antithesis

Quote from: trdsf on May 23, 2015, 05:16:41 PM
That's kind of a double edged sword.  I have been accused of being "straight acting" by fellow gays because I'm not chirpy and flamboyant.  There's nothing closeted about it, I just flame about as well as an ice cube.  It's not in my nature; I typically describe myself as 'quietly queer' rather than 'fabulous'.  We really are a spectrum, and not just on the flag.

Eh, that's all just stereotypes. Kind of surprising to me that even others gays have that, but I guess people are people and people are stupid.

QuoteAlso, you get points for a 'Bride of Pin*Bot' avatar.  :)

Actually managed to join the billionaires' club the other day. I'll never play a game that good again. After that, shoot-- drain, shoot-- drain, shoot-- drain.

Shiranu

*whisper* Grindr isn't a gay dating website, more of a gay hookup website */whisper*
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

trdsf

Quote from: the_antithesis on May 24, 2015, 01:09:03 PM
Eh, that's all just stereotypes. Kind of surprising to me that even others gays have that, but I guess people are people and people are stupid.
Yeah, the sad truth is being gay means you're really just like everyone else.  Which is the happy truth, too, when you stop to think about it.

The Skeletal Atheist

Do you have a picture of your brother. If so I'll use my highly sophisticated and technologically advanced Gaydar©®â,,¢ to tell if he is a secret nellie.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

Atheon

"Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." - Seneca