News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gardening thread

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 20, 2015, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 21, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
I thought he was the partner to James West, in Wild Wild West.
Yeah, that sounds familiar. 

Baruch

Quote from: Mike Cl on May 21, 2018, 03:08:11 PM
I thought he was the partner to James West, in Wild Wild West.

Artemis = Diana ... goddess of chastity and the hunt
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 21, 2018, 04:31:08 PM
Yeah, that sounds familiar.

The character is Artemus Gordon ... Artemis would have been too fay.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 21, 2018, 01:33:35 PM
One of the rose bush I bought 2 weeks ago.
Camera: Oneplus 5T

Absolutely lovely rose!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

Basil growing from seed. 3 weeks old.

fencerider

pr126 would have loved associating with my great grand father. He built a house in Pasadena CA around 1910. planted 2 orange trees, 2 lemon trees, 2 avocado trees ( green all the way to the center when ripe) a grape arbor and various small plants in the back. Last time I saw the house before it was sold in probate in 1989 the avocado trees were already about 45-50ft tall. the grape arbor was a tunnel behind the garage 6ft tall 5ft wide and around 16ft long.

When my grandpa took over he put a 12x20ft temp controlled green house behind the kitchen door with a big green drum composter next to it.

They were both crazy about plants. I would love to have space to do half of what they did, but havent got to so far. I think you got a good head start pr126
"Do you believe in god?", is not a proper English sentence. Unless you believe that, "Do you believe in apple?", is a proper English sentence.

Cavebear

Quote from: fencerider on May 28, 2018, 02:28:22 PM
pr126 would have loved associating with my great grand father. He built a house in Pasadena CA around 1910. planted 2 orange trees, 2 lemon trees, 2 avocado trees ( green all the way to the center when ripe) a grape arbor and various small plants in the back. Last time I saw the house before it was sold in probate in 1989 the avocado trees were already about 45-50ft tall. the grape arbor was a tunnel behind the garage 6ft tall 5ft wide and around 16ft long.

When my grandpa took over he put a 12x20ft temp controlled green house behind the kitchen door with a big green drum composter next to it.

They were both crazy about plants. I would love to have space to do half of what they did, but havent got to so far. I think you got a good head start pr126

Just a mention to say that drum composters have to be well built with metal gears.  I bought one all plastic  and the gears broke in 5 years.  And it never composted well anyway.  To compost, you really need a 4'x4' solid bin turned every couple weeks.  Decades ago, I had one, and it steamed in Winter. And now I have one again and it is heating up. 

SGOS

Quote from: Cavebear on May 29, 2018, 01:46:15 AM
Just a mention to say that drum composters have to be well built with metal gears.  I bought one all plastic  and the gears broke in 5 years.  And it never composted well anyway.  To compost, you really need a 4'x4' solid bin turned every couple weeks. 
I've wondered about those drum composters.  It seems like a good idea in theory, and there is no way I'm going to turn my compost pile every couple of weeks.  But how bad do I need compost?  I have a mountain composting just off my lawn.  I empty several bags of grass clippings onto it twice a week, and then spread three or four shovels of sawmill waste over it.  It composts in a year or two.  I throw leaves on it in the fall, but then I get a layer of rotten leaves, because I don't turn the pile.  The leaves compost eventually, but the sawmill waste seems to work better, because it's spread out through the pile evenly.  But that mountain of debris doesn't yield an equal mountain of compost, which I don't need.  I don't really know why I'm doing it.  I guess I just need a place to dump yard wastes, so I call it my compost pile, and everyone thinks I'm so organic.

Cavebear

Quote from: SGOS on May 29, 2018, 07:33:39 AM
I've wondered about those drum composters.  It seems like a good idea in theory, and there is no way I'm going to turn my compost pile every couple of weeks.  But how bad do I need compost?  I have a mountain composting just off my lawn.  I empty several bags of grass clippings onto it twice a week, and then spread three or four shovels of sawmill waste over it.  It composts in a year or two.  I throw leaves on it in the fall, but then I get a layer of rotten leaves, because I don't turn the pile.  The leaves compost eventually, but the sawmill waste seems to work better, because it's spread out through the pile evenly.  But that mountain of debris doesn't yield an equal mountain of compost, which I don't need.  I don't really know why I'm doing it.  I guess I just need a place to dump yard wastes, so I call it my compost pile, and everyone thinks I'm so organic.

Well, turning a compost pile helps, but there is also tool that makes it easier.  And I can't find a picture of it anywhere.  It's a shaft with 2 levers at the bottom.  They hinge up to the shaft when you push it into the compost and open up as you pull it out.   The mixes the pile eventually.

Put as nature doesn't require turning compost, neither do you.  Just start a new pile each year and the old one WILL break down eventually on it's own. 

I've used slow passive composting myself before.  I used to get free shredded mulch from the County and heap it in piles for a couple years until I had wonderfully rich compost.  But now I just buy a trailerload of Leaf-Gro direct and use my own compost to supplement it.   I don't have enough wasteland of plant material myself. 

pr126

Honeysuckle
[

Pots of color

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 02, 2018, 01:21:29 AM
Honeysuckle
[

Pots of color

Those pots are pretty awesime.  Not honeysuckle is a weed here.  I keep cutting it down at ground level around my garden enclosure.  But I DO know how to pluck the flowers and taste the sweet nectar before I kill them.

pr126

Here in the UK honeysuckle is not a weed.
We grow it for coverage, scent and for the bees.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 05, 2018, 04:50:50 AM
Here in the UK honeysuckle is not a weed.
We grow it for coverage, scent and for the bees.

If I could make a wish to simply eliminate some plants from my yard, it would be poison ivy, blackberries, mock strawberry, and honeysuckle...

pr126

Well, I grow it in a pot on my balcony, it won’t take over.
I’ll trim it down in the spring.
How big is your yard?

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on June 05, 2018, 05:17:03 AM
Well, I grow it in a pot on my balcony, it won’t take over.
I’ll trim it down in the spring.
How big is your yard?

1/2 acre.  But it is surrounded by mature trees in the neighbors' yards east, south and west.  My bad luck it isn't north which wouldn't matter.  I get less sunlight that I need for a really good garden.  It is VERY frustrating.