News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gardening thread

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 20, 2015, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

Quote from: Baruch on May 12, 2018, 12:24:34 PM
Nymphs and dryads ... they tend to be shy around horny demi-gods.  And in the case of Artemis ... deadly as well.
I worked with a guy who named his dog Artemis.  I thought it was just a made up pet name, a combination of the short form of Arthur and some foo fah gibberish one would bestow on an object of affection, like snooky wukums.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 12, 2018, 12:24:34 PM
Nymphs and dryads ... they tend to be shy around horny demi-gods.  And in the case of Artemis ... deadly as well.

You should read more comic books dude
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: SGOS on May 13, 2018, 06:16:47 AM
I worked with a guy who named his dog Artemis.  I thought it was just a made up pet name, a combination of the short form of Arthur and some foo fah gibberish one would bestow on an object of affection, like snooky wukums.

No, maybe Wild Wild West ;-)
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

I had visitors in my patio for a while, just enough time to raise a family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQN7i1CxrS8

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 12, 2018, 09:04:54 AM
there is only one true botanist out there who shall rise to the occasion!

Where can I get some seeds for that one?  My catalogs seem to lack it...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 17, 2018, 12:23:11 AM

I'm not familiar with that bird.  It looks "goldfinchish".

pr126

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 17, 2018, 01:12:55 AM
In the UK it is called Bluetit.

And has green feathers.  Leave it to the Brits, LOL!  But OK.  It is a very pretty bird.  And it seems that it likes what we here in the US call "Bluebird Boxes".  I wonder if they are related.?  They look rather similar.

Munch

Quote from: Cavebear on May 17, 2018, 01:39:59 AM
And has green feathers.  Leave it to the Brits, LOL!  But OK.  It is a very pretty bird.  And it seems that it likes what we here in the US call "Bluebird Boxes".  I wonder if they are related.?  They look rather similar.

Actually its not called blue tit due to its breast color but due to the blue feathers on it, and the species being a Latin translation of the word Parus, or full name Parus caeruleus, and since their are other types of species in this group called tit in translation, its just easier to identify.

Also the word tit being associated with breasts is a recent thing thought up in the 1920s, while the word tit being associated with this type of birds been around since the 1500s
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

SGOS

Quote from: pr126 on May 17, 2018, 12:23:11 AM

My humming birds have mysteriously disappeared.  Once they get started at my feeder, they keep coming back all day long feeding on it, guarding it, and chasing the more timid away.  They do this every day until they leave in the fall.  I haven't seen them in two weeks.  Does anyone have any ideas?

pr126

120o Panorama shot.  Taken with a cellphone.
Click the top bar to see the original size, click the plus sign on your cursor to magnify it, then scroll the bottom grey bar to pan left or right.

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 17, 2018, 04:28:40 AM
Actually its not called blue tit due to its breast color but due to the blue feathers on it, and the species being a Latin translation of the word Parus, or full name Parus caeruleus, and since their are other types of species in this group called tit in translation, its just easier to identify.

Also the word tit being associated with breasts is a recent thing thought up in the 1920s, while the word tit being associated with this type of birds been around since the 1500s

Yeah, "tit" in the breast sense is merely an evasion of "teat".  The English Victorians were really dedicated to "cleaning up" the language.  LOL!

I remember my maternal grandmother being very firm that children were not "kids" because "kids" were the offspring of animals, women had "bosoms" rather than breasts, humans had "limbs" rather than legs and arms, etc.

pr126

One of the rose bush I bought 2 weeks ago.
Camera: Oneplus 5T

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on May 13, 2018, 06:16:47 AM
I thought he was the partner to James West, in Wild Wild West.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?