News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gardening thread

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 20, 2015, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 05, 2018, 08:58:26 PM
I gave up on serious cameras when I discovered that f stops made as much sense to me as E=Mc sq.
It's really just a matter of practice.  One thing I did when I got my DSLR was to take a series of pictures of the same thing at different f-stops, so I could have in-hand (or on-screen) a visual reference that made sense.  It's one thing to be told there's an inverse relationship between the stop number and the depth the focal field, and another to actually see how it works in the same image as various bits come into and out of focus.

Quote from: Cavebear on May 05, 2018, 08:58:26 PM
I get good enough pics for my blogs with a Canon Powershot ELPH 1130 IS (and that was a step back from a previous camera that was harder to manage)  But it takes pretty good pictures...
I've had really good luck with a couple point-and-shoot digitals; my first ten years ago was a Sony Cybreshot W70 that I still use -- the only downside to it is that it's a Sony, which means proprietary everything (battery, memory chip, and adapter cable).  I picked up a Sanyo S1414 five years ago when I thought I'd lost the Sony on a bus, and that's still in use too.

Me, I prefer having my old Nikon glassâ€"lenses and filters bothâ€"back in use; a (D)SLR is more capable than a point-and-shoot, just on the basis of exchangeable lenses, although it's overkill if all you're really after is straight imaging.  I fancy myself a wanna-be photographic artist, so I need the extra bells and whistles, and the Nikon D40 is a good gateway drug for me.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

pr126

The roof garden this morning.

trdsf

Speaking of gardening, my basil, shot through three different IR filters (680, 730, 850nm), reduced to B&W, and combined as RGB, basically shifting the wavelengths into the visual (680nm to blue, 730 to green, 850 to red).  Because I can't do anything normally.  :D

"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

pr126

Basil:

Herbs for cooking:

Springtime:

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 07, 2018, 10:54:00 AM
Basil:

Herbs for cooking:

Springtime:

I can't get it to load, but check my Spring slideshow at https://marksmews.blogspot.com/2018/05/a-time-machine-garden-tour.html  PS.  Why those chess pics etc show up after seems like some targeted ads. and not anything I included...
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

pr126

I made a short video (5 minutes) of my roof garden.
It will take another month or so for all the flowers to bloom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYw0VshlCuU

Shiranu

For what it's worth pr, I really enjoy your gardening stuff and think the videos and pictures are absolutely beautiful.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

pr126

Weekend, relaxing on the patio.

Cavebear

Quote from: pr126 on May 12, 2018, 04:09:22 AM
Weekend, relaxing on the patio.

You have some of the best containers plants!  Very nice.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Munch

It's really cool pr. Makes me think of my aunt's garden, she lives on a boat in a small canal off the themes, no real land around to plant stuff, so she turned roof of a storage barge my uncle brought next to their houseboat into a garden

Kind of like this.

Never underestimate what potted plants can do for small spaces
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

pr126

I have made a slideshow of the photos taken from my patio in the Summer of 2016.

Enjoy the colors. Hope you like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVGHQPAXZSw

Baruch

Quote from: Shiranu on May 10, 2018, 02:27:22 AM
For what it's worth pr, I really enjoy your gardening stuff and think the videos and pictures are absolutely beautiful.

Maybe you should be studying botany?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Munch

Quote from: Baruch on May 12, 2018, 07:33:10 AM
Maybe you should be studying botany?

there is only one true botanist out there who shall rise to the occasion!

'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Nymphs and dryads ... they tend to be shy around horny demi-gods.  And in the case of Artemis ... deadly as well.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

pr126

Basil has grown from seed, week 2.

Taken with the Oneplus 5T + macro lens attachment.