News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Gardening thread

Started by AllPurposeAtheist, May 20, 2015, 09:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

This is my first real year gardening on my own where things grow like magic beans..I've always enjoyed it, but was always kinda forced to keep it moderate to barely. Next year I hope to expand it quite a bit depending on how my back holds out..

So anyway...Here are my main areas where things are taking off pretty good.
Porch. Petunias, delphinium, snapdraggons, pansies and tomatoes They all were. 49 cent bargain basement plants on their last legs from various nursuries. The tomatoe (behind the petunias) lost all its foliage during a late frost and was pretty much toast so I thought..

Along the back fence..

HA! I thought I had a more recent photo, but apparently not..everything there is now about 30Xs bigger..Roses,  impatience, petunias, tomatoes,  green beans (other side of fence), basil and further down out of sight,  watermelon and cantelope..

So anyway, I'll update this area if anyone cares later.. I hope by next year to remove a whole lot more sod to put in a proper garden to feed us and our families IF my back holds up..If not maybe just expand to another row or two..

So what are you growing this year?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

pr126

Flickr, Garden 2015

It is still early in the year, but in 2 or 3 months time it will be full of flowers.

A roof garden, actually.

kilodelta

I'm growing my standards: lemon grass, variety of hot chili peppers, tomatoes, thai egg plant, variety of basil, dill, cilantro, and variety of cucumbers. This lingering cold hasn't given my plants a good start.

However, this year I found a random growing plant in my lawn. It's a melon, squash, or cucumber. The first leaf is too immature to attempt an identification at this time. I'm going to grow the thing where it is now. I'm secretly hoping it's a Cabbage Patch Kid.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

SGOS

Not much on gardening.  I find it easier to buy things at the store.  The last few weeks, my local Walmart has been selling excellent fresh corn.  Yes Walmart.  I know, it boggles my mind too.  I live by myself, so a garden doesn't make a lot of sense.  Having said that, this year I planted two tomato plants in big pots, because I've yet to buy a good tomato at a store.  I have very poor soil where I live so flower pots seemed like a good idea.  I filled them with potting soil, compost, and steer manure.  I've never seen a tomato grow that fast.

Mostly my agricultural efforts are devoted to my lawn, but again considering my poor soil, this has been no small undertaking.  Where I've lived before, I threw down some seed and had a lawn, but I bought a new house with a crappy lawn, and I thought, "No problem.  I'll just throw down some seed and fix that."  Well, it didn't work.  The end result was that I became obsessed with having a nice lawn.  I spent money on fertilizers, lime, various sprays, and this and that, and got no where.  I finally killed it all (over an acre) tractor tilled, hand pulled, sprayed, limed, and on and on.  I was engaged in a war, and an expensive war.  After 7 years (granted I tried to grow a lawn on the cheap for the first four), I've now got a golf course as of this spring.  It's lovely, the best lawn I've had, but it's a lot of work, and my investment is now around two or three thousand dollars.  I'm thinking after this summer, I might be able to slack off a little bit for a time.

My obsession and my war on my lawn has become a bit of a love affair, and I feel like I've accomplished at least one major thing about the landscaping.  I've also planted greenery, which is doing OK.  It's an improvement, but not the end all be all it could be.  I have a friend who wants me to plant flowers, but I don't care about flowers.  I want lots of green.  I want to live in an ocean of chlorophyll.

TomFoolery

My pride and joy tomatoes, as well as my dog who is deaf and refused to move.

Flowers, because it's spring of course.

The useless plant collection, because every garden needs one.
How can you be sure my refusal to agree with your claim a symptom of my ignorance and not yours?

aitm

I do vegetables myself, and my spring garden is almost done. Corn and carrots and green beans and broccoli along with green onions, red potatoes and cauliflower. All that is left is some green beans still producing so broccoli snips and the cauliflower.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: aitm on May 21, 2015, 08:53:27 AM
I do vegetables myself, and my spring garden is almost done. Corn and carrots and green beans and broccoli along with green onions, red potatoes and cauliflower. All that is left is some green beans still producing so broccoli snips and the cauliflower.
Sounds like next year's garden if my back holds up..
I lied. I initially claimed the plants were 30Xs bigger..Maybe 2Xs bigger..Hey, I was close!

Pretty little rose this morning..

And the pergola..Sylvia's pride and joy..it's covered with confederate jasmine..REALLY nice place to sit in the morning and evening.. There's a nice hanging swing in there..The jasmine smells really sweet when it blooms..

kilodelta

I'm trying potatoes this year too. I'd love to tell people that I pulled french fries from my yard.

kilodelta

Quote from: pr126 on May 21, 2015, 12:17:23 AM
Flickr, Garden 2015

It is still early in the year, but in 2 or 3 months time it will be full of flowers.

Great photos!

pr126

Thank you. My other hobby is photography.

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm thinking about building a small greenhouse for next spring's plants and to keep the anuals kicking throughout winter.

kilodelta

I'd like to do a greenhouse. But, it's like number 100 on my want to do list for my house and yard. It'd have to be after I get a few huge trees taken out.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: kilodelta on May 31, 2015, 10:04:19 PM
I'd like to do a greenhouse. But, it's like number 100 on my want to do list for my house and yard. It'd have to be after I get a few huge trees taken out.
Trees and the derth of greenhouses.

AllPurposeAtheist

Not sure if this is a mutation or just something in the soil or just a seasonal thing ,but I woke up this morning to find a couple of petunias way darker than anything else in the pot. I've got hundreds of these purple petunias around the yard, but only these two that are almost black. .
So. ..evolution in the making here or is it a MIRACLEâ,,¢ :pray: ?

I'm going to take a cutting from it to see if I can isolate it to reproduce the same color. .

kilodelta

I wish I knew more about horticulture to provide anything other than: "Jesus did it to show you that he's real and coming to get you!"